Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ham Clam

2015 "mormon" Movies

I know of one coming out this year:

"Freetown" - April 8, 2015

I know of two coming out this year:

"Freetown" - April 8, 2015

... and on a more disturbing level,a documentary on Warren Jeffs called 'Prophet Prey' premiering at the 2015 Sundance Festival 

Anymore that I don't know of?

I do not see how a movie about Warren Jeffs can be called a Mormon movie.

There will be a movie about the Cokeville angels miracle.I believe T.C. Christensen is directing.

I do not see how a movie about Warren Jeffs can be called a Mormon movie.

Yea, you're right. Didn't use the word Mormon well. Took it off the list.

They need to make a Hollywood movie about the Book of Mormon wars. That would be cool to watch with the ending being Moroni burying the plates.

They need to make a good movie...a bad movie would be worse than no movie at all.

Also from Sundance 2015, two movies from Mormon filmmakers, and BYU grads, though the movies are not LDS themed.

"Don Verdean" by Jared and Jerusha Hess (the Napolean Dynamite filmmakers)

"Most Likely to Succeed" by Greg Whiteley (Documentary filmmaker whose film "Mitt" was released in 2014. His new documentary features fellow Mormon Ken Jennings.)

Of interest to LDS, perhaps, though done darkly: "I Am Michael": A documentary about a gay man, who converts to Christianity, and now says he is "ex-gay".

They need to make a good movie...a bad movie would be worse than no movie at all.

Did you like Saratov Approach?  Freetown is the same director.  I loved Saratov... and now I'm really looking forward to Freetown.

Not a movie, but AMC's Hell on Wheels (focused on the building of the Union Pacific railroad across the US) heavily involves Mormons. Brigham Young is a recurring character, and the main character's wife is a member.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By piccione
      If any are interested, there is a new free pdf book available comparing the order of Nehor characteristics with the Maya religion at www.academia.edu/35102438/EVIDENCE_of_the_NEHOR_RELIGION_in_MESOAMERICA
    • By Bernard Gui
      In 2 Nephi 2, Joseph, son of Lehi, is given this promise by his father:
      There is some question who this "one mighty among them" will be. It's not Joseph Smith, because the one will be a descendant of Lehi. Joseph Fielding Smith and Spencer Kimball suggested it would be a future prophet to come out of the remnants of Lehi (a "Lamanite" or "Indian" prophet).
      Let me propose another candidate, one who we all know well but perhaps take for granted.
      He did much good in word and deed. He was an instrument in the hands of God. He had exceeding faith. He worked mighty wonders. He did that thing which is great in the sight of God in bringing restoration to the house of Israel and the seed of Lehi.   1. He did much good in word and deed.

2. He was an instrument in the hands of God.

3. He had exceeding faith.

4. He worked mighty wonders.

5. He did that thing which is great in the sight of God in bringing the restoration to the house of Israel and the seed of Lehi.

Yes, I'm talking about that giant of a Nephite, the Prophet Mormon. As a boy, he was a leader of men. As a man, he was one of the greatest prophets of God. As a prophet, he was fearless in his faith and secure in his knowledge. As a warrior, he gave his life in defense of his people. As a father, he inspired greatness in his son Moroni. As a historian, he was entrusted to make and preserve the record of his people that became the foundation of the Restoration. Truly, he was "one mighty among them."
      Granted, some may point out that he claimed to be a descendant of Nephi, not Joseph, but it is reasonable to conclude that the descendants of the faithful Lehites (Nephi, Sam, Joseph, Jacob, and Zoram) intermarried and all could claim to be descended from Nephi. In fact, all the descendants of those Lehi sons became grouped under the head of Nephi. But is it not possible that this man was the one prophesied to come and bring restoration to Lehi's family?
      Others may have come to this conclusion, but I'm not aware of any who have proposed Mormon. Feel free to burst that bubble of pride.
      Your thoughts?
    • By Anne E. Prufe
      For anyone interested, LDS Answers is running a survey on the influence of movie ratings on personal/family/home standards for an upcoming article.  http://www.ldsanswers.org/movie-ratings-survey-take-survey/  I'm interested to see the results!
    • By morgan.deane
      Greetings. I'm working on a new piece about what battle was like for the average Nephite soldier. This is a face of battle approach somewhat common to military history but relatively lacking in regards to the Book of Mormon.  (I can send a copy of the current draft to interested readers.)  I remember reading somewhere about an article that compares Moroni (or Mormon) and his writings to a survivor of the holocaust, or somebody that shows he went through trauma or suffers from PTSD. Does anybody know about this piece and where I can find it?  I know my description is somewhat vague, but I've only heard about this from an off hand comment at a conference. I've done my best but can't seem to find it. I appreciate any help you could offer. Thanks.   
    • By Joshua Valentine
      [i saw the lower case LDS too late, and couldn't find a way to edit it.  I apologize for the error. Please let me know if there is a way to edit topic titles.  Thanks!]

This topic is not about whether or not Mormons are Christians.  It is not about whether Mormonism is a Christian religion.

It is about whether and how the LDS leadership undermines its own position, and that of the membership - that other Christian groups should recognize it, them, as Christians - when it refuses to recognize other Mormon groups as Mormons.

Following are statements made by the LDS Church:

1) A recent news story referred to fugitive Warren Jeffs as a “fundamentalist Mormon” and “leader of a polygamist breakaway Mormon sect.”

Polygamist groups in Utah, Arizona or Texas have nothing whatsoever to do with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. To refer to them as “Mormon” is inaccurate.
      http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/fundamentalist-mormons

2) Fact:
          There is no such thing as a "fundamentalist" Mormon. Mormon is a common name for a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The Church discontinued polygamy more than a century ago. No members of the Church today can enter into polygamy without being excommunicated. Polygamist groups in Utah, other parts of the American West and elsewhere have nothing whatsoever to do with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
      http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/commentary/fundamentalist-mormons

3) Recent news reports regarding various issues related to the practice of polygamy, especially focusing on groups in Southern Utah, Arizona and Texas, have used terms such as "fundamentalist Mormons," "Mormon sect" and "polygamous Mormons" to refer to those who practice polygamy.
          There is no such thing as a "polygamous" Mormon. Mormon is a common name for a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The Church discontinued polygamy more than a century ago. No members of the Church today can enter into polygamy without being excommunicated. Polygamist groups in Utah, Arizona or Texas have nothing whatsoever to do with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
      http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/polygamous-mormons

4) "...it is estimated that approximately 30,000 Mormons live in polygamous households in Utah."
      Fact:
          The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints discontinued the practice of polygamy more than a century ago. No members of the Church today can enter into polygamy without being excommunicated. Groups that practice polygamy have nothing to do whatsoever with the Church and should not be referred to as Mormons.
      http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/30-000-mormon-polygamists

5) There is no such thing as a “Mormon Fundamentalist.” It is a contradiction to use the two words together.
      -President Gordon B. Hinckley
      https://www.lds.org/general-conference/1998/10/what-are-people-asking-about-us?lang=eng

All of these official statements made by the LDS Church deny the use of “Mormon” when referring to polygamous or fundamentalist groups.  How is this to be justified when the LDS Church and its members decry Christian groups that refuse to refer to LDS as Christians or the LDS Church as a Christian church?

In all of these quotes the term “Mormon” is being defined as a member of the LDS Church.  But that is at least an outdated definition - denying the reality of the existence and legitimacy of other groups that embrace Joseph Smith’s restoration and scriptures.  It is certainly self-serving, especially if used to differentiate between the “Mormon” issue and the “Christian” issue.

Why do Christians deny that Mormons are Christians?  Why does the LDS Church deny that off-shoot Mormons are Mormons?

See the following (especially in bold):

6) The Associated Press style guide tells its reporters that the term Mormon “is not properly applied” to the other churches that resulted from the split after Joseph Smith's death. It should be obvious why the AP has adopted that policy. It is widely understood that the word “Mormon” refers to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, which sends out “Mormon missionaries,” sponsors the “Mormon Tabernacle Choir” and builds “Mormon temples.” Associating the term ‘Mormon’ with polygamists blurs what should be a crystal-clear line of distinction between organizations that are entirely separate.
      http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/commentary/-mormons-and-polygamy

While the terms LDS and Mormon are not brands in the commercial sense, these terms reflect the identity, reputation and teachings of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The LDS Church has the right and expectation that the use of these terms will convey certain impressions to those who become aware of them. This is known in the business world as brand equity and in the words of NetMBA.com it "is an intangible asset that depends on associations made by the consumer."
      http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700224488/Adoption-of-FLDS-name-is-akin-to-identity-theft.html?pg=all

Christians don’t want the public (consumers) to confuse Mormonism for Christianity.  LDS leadership doesn’t want the public to confuse Mormon off-shoots for Mormonism or the LDS Church.

Insofar as the LDS Church denies off-shoot groups the name “Mormon”, the LDS Church undermines its call for non-LDS Christians to accept it as Christian.  In nearly every way that the LDS Church justifies denying “Mormon” to off-shoots, it justifies Christians denying “Christian” to Mormonism.