Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BCSpace

News Article On Mission Costs

I just found out the mission is getting even more expensive.  My son has been out for a while and was one of the missionaries that got iPads as part of the trial group over a year ago.  I am now told out of the blue that I owe the church for an iPad.  Apparently, the church swept the ward mission account already and took the money and I got notified I owe another $400 on top of already sending him out and outfitting him.

I am not real pleased with this, just give another $400 for something that is not needed.  I served just fine without one, our current missionaries in my ward do just fine without one.  Frankly, I don't think I should pay.  What comes next on top of the monthly money, paying for the car lease, auto insurance, etc.  Do I get a bill if the ward kitchen needs a new stove?

Yes, I am a bit irritated at this moment with it.  That $400 would be going for a laptop for school when he returns.  There are far cheaper alternatives than Apple.  Venting right now, still not sure if I will pay, I just don't see what was done as appropriate.

Am I off the mark here?  Especially being a full tithe payer, church purchase of a summer camp in southern CA, a billion on a mall???

I'm more curious to know why the church would have to pay full retail for an item that was obviously ordered in bulk.  iPads are nifty items though.

Maybe this is what use to happen, but learned recently, that my husband's friends parents, two brothers, went on their mission and were not told of the cost until after. They couldn't afford it later and had to borrow from the bank to finish their mission, it was a Scotland mission. This struck me as very odd that they weren't informed before going. The couple told my husband this personally.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By SouthernMo
      If messengers from another faith knocked on your door, gave you a book and asked you to read it and ask God if it is true, would you invite them in to learn more?
    • By HappyJackWagon
      Yesterday in Priesthood opening exercises the HPGL announced that ward and stake leadership has been made aware of upcoming changes to the full-time missionary program. This is what he said...
      1- In addition to regular 2 year or 18 month missions, Bishops will have the option of recommending missionaries to serve 3 or 6 month missions.
      2- If the missionary is doing well and would like to extend after the shorter 3-6 month call, they will be able to.
      3- There will be more emphasis on service based missions for the shorter 3-6 month calls
      These are some changes I've been hoping for and I think there are some really great implications IF these changes are accurate. Has anyone else heard anything else like this being announced in their local meetings? I thought it was an odd way to announce it. There wasn't a First Presidency letter read introducing the change or anything like it, yet ward leadership seemed totally confident in making the general announcement.
      ETA- this announcement was about young Elders and Sisters serving, not Senior couples
    • By JAHS
      The following was posted in the Salt Lake Craig's list:
      "Looking to find someone with a foreign LDS mission call that does not want to go foreign. I have a stateside one to Chicago, Spanish speaking that I will trade you. If we are both willing to trade I bet there is a way to talk to the mission presidents, or someone, and get our calls traded. Please, I need this."
      LDS Mission call trade?
      You think he will get any takers? Will he be successful?  I don't think so.
    • By Andreaes
      I have a question. Let's say you broke the law of chasity for about a year, then you decided to go on a mission and started a repentance process, but after 6 months you started comittimg the same sins again for about 7 months. Then you don't tell your bishop about it cause you still want to go on a mission but now you have stopped comittimg the sin. What happens is this situation?