Seriously No Politics ×

BCSpace

Senior couples pay 100 percent of the actual cost of their mission.

Other than senior couples paying all the rent for living accommodations versus young men or women paying half (or less), as they share it with at least one missionary companion; and that senior couples might reside in somewhat better accommodations, at least the rankings of the most expensive and least expensive missions would still likely be about the same for all LDS missionaries.

Some places are so expensive for rent that the LDS Church apparently has some additional supplements in place for housing costs too.

Plus, if a person is not a member of the LDS Church, these cost listings are a good ranking at how expensive it would actually be to live in various locations around the world in moderate living quarters.

Here are the *MOST EXPENSIVE LDS Missions:

1. England London South, $4,020 month.

2. England London, $3,970.

3. Bermuda, $3,770.

4. New Zealand, $3,720.

5. England Manchester, $3,680.

6. Alaska, $3,670.

7. England Leeds, $3,640.

8. New York South, $3,480.

9. Alpine (German-speaking Austria, Switzerland, Germany and Liechtenstein), $3,470 each.

10. (tie) Hawaii, Canada Toronto and Brisbane Australia, $3,420 each.

* Based on senior couple missionary costs.

Here are the *LEAST EXPENSIVE LDS Missions:

1. Peru Cusco, $1,340 month

2. Philippines Naga, $1,360

3. Peru Trujillo, $1,420 month.

4. Philippines IIoilo, $1,470.

5. Mexico Tijuana, $1,490.

6. Chile Santiago North, $1,510.

7. Mexico Mexico City North, $1,590.

8. (tie) Brazil Fortaleza East and Mexico Monterrey West, $1,620 each.

10. (tie) Peru Lina North and Philippines Laoag, $1,640.

* Based on senior couple missionary costs.

Reflecting on the above costs, note that four of the top seven most expensive missions are in England.

In fact, southwest England (containing most of the former England-Bristol/England SouthWest Mission) is the most expensive mission on the planet.

Why is England so expensive?

Posting these rankings on Facebook’s niche for former England-Bristol missionaries, solicited a few responses from church members actually living in that area of the United Kingdom right now.

Out of control real estate prices and a weak dollar to pound currency exchange rate were mentioned as the biggest culprits to the high costs of a mission there.

The most inexpensive of missions tend to be in Central or South America, plus the Philippines.

However, the least expensive mission in the world still costs seniors $1,340 a month. So, even allowing for a lower single missionary cost likely means the $400 a month families pay doesn’t actually cover the real cost of a mission. The LDS Church has got to be subsidizing that cost, several times over or more, from other sources.

To see the full senior missionary cost estimate list, click here.

https://www.lds.org/bc/content/ldsorg/callings/missionary/senior-missionary/senior-missionary-opportunities.pdf?lang=eng

http://www.standard.net/Faith/2014/12/28/Most-least-expensive-LDS-Church-missions

I found this localized article while perusing several news lists with more exposure including realclearreligion.org and thought it curious that such mundane details would be of wider interest.

So, to go to England , a couple would need about $100,000 in the bank. Depositing $150/ month at a conservative 3% for 35 years will about do it. Of course , the cost to go to an England mission 35 years ago would not have been that high and who knows what will happen in another 35 years ,but one would be wise to start one's senior mission fund early. Either that, or get in on the ground floor of some MLM scheme. ( I kid !)

I found this localized article while perusing several news lists with more exposure including realclearreligion.org and thought it curious that such mundane details would be of wider interest.

Fascinating that England ranks so high especially considering the free health care and good public transit.  I assume they've considered and rejected this idea for reasons that I don't know but these housing costs make me wonder if we wouldn't be better off to squeeze a small missionary apartment into our meetinghouses.  I've had occasion to be up in the attic of my church building... there is space up there and it was its own exterior entrance... seems like some small changes to the design of the building could make it happen.

Things don't seemed to have changed much since I served decades ago.  Back then, the word was that London was  the most expensive mission at and Tokyo was up there too. Mexico was well under $200. My own stateside mission was about $240.

• 5 weeks later...

Interesting post - thanks BCSpace.

I live in the most expensive mission area- I like to think my wife's and my conversion was worth the cost ;)

Will seriously start to consider saving for our senior mission now.

Light, Love and Peace

D

So, to go to England , a couple would need about $100,000 in the bank. Depositing $150/ month at a conservative 3% for 35 years will about do it. Of course , the cost to go to an England mission 35 years ago would not have been that high and who knows what will happen in another 35 years ,but one would be wise to start one's senior mission fund early. Either that, or get in on the ground floor of some MLM scheme. ( I kid !)

Where are you banking that 3% is conservative? I Seriously want to know. I haven't seen anywhere even close to that for years. I thought maybe I was just at a bad credit union, but did a search for rates for savings, CDs and money markets and don't see anything above about 1.1.

A couple I know went to England a few years ago, I'd no idea that it was so costly for them. No wonder the wife was so dissatisfied because of ending up working along some people getting paid, in a basement office. I guess she hoped to do more proselytizing.

Fascinating that England ranks so high especially considering the free health care and good public transit.  I assume they've considered and rejected this idea for reasons that I don't know but these housing costs make me wonder if we wouldn't be better off to squeeze a small missionary apartment into our meetinghouses.  I've had occasion to be up in the attic of my church building... there is space up there and it was its own exterior entrance... seems like some small changes to the design of the building could make it happen.

While England has a National Health Scheme, it is definitely not free. My husband contributes 10% of his income in National Insurance. It would be free to those who are not earning. It is also not free to Non European Union nationals ie only EU citizens can access the NHS. Others have to pay private fees which can be quite hefty.

While England has a National Health Scheme, it is definitely not free. My husband contributes 10% of his income in National Insurance. It would be free to those who are not earning. It is also not free to Non European Union nationals ie only EU citizens can access the NHS. Others have to pay private fees which can be quite hefty.

When my parent served there, they said it was free to the missionaries. I guess they fall under the "non earners" you mentioned.

Sadly, political dogma has resulted in many changes in the NHS and transport over the last 20 years. There is little public transport and buses and trains are no longer cheap and as busy bee says, the NHS is no longer completely free at point of use (it was never free as such as its paid for by taxation!).

That settles it.  I need to study Spanish or Portuguese.  

Buena suerte, mi Hermano!

(Good luck, my Brother! ;):D)

• 4 weeks later...

I just found out the mission is getting even more expensive.  My son has been out for a while and was one of the missionaries that got iPads as part of the trial group over a year ago.  I am now told out of the blue that I owe the church for an iPad.  Apparently, the church swept the ward mission account already and took the money and I got notified I owe another $400 on top of already sending him out and outfitting him.

I am not real pleased with this, just give another $400 for something that is not needed.  I served just fine without one, our current missionaries in my ward do just fine without one.  Frankly, I don't think I should pay.  What comes next on top of the monthly money, paying for the car lease, auto insurance, etc.  Do I get a bill if the ward kitchen needs a new stove?

Yes, I am a bit irritated at this moment with it.  That $400 would be going for a laptop for school when he returns.  There are far cheaper alternatives than Apple.  Venting right now, still not sure if I will pay, I just don't see what was done as appropriate.

Am I off the mark here?  Especially being a full tithe payer, church purchase of a summer camp in southern CA, a billion on a mall???

I just found out the mission is getting even more expensive.  My son has been out for a while and was one of the missionaries that got iPads as part of the trial group over a year ago.  I am now told out of the blue that I owe the church for an iPad.  Apparently, the church swept the ward mission account already and took the money and I got notified I owe another $400 on top of already sending him out and outfitting him.

I am not real pleased with this, just give another $400 for something that is not needed.  I served just fine without one, our current missionaries in my ward do just fine without one.  Frankly, I don't think I should pay.  What comes next on top of the monthly money, paying for the car lease, auto insurance, etc.  Do I get a bill if the ward kitchen needs a new stove?

Yes, I am a bit irritated at this moment with it.  That $400 would be going for a laptop for school when he returns.  There are far cheaper alternatives than Apple.  Venting right now, still not sure if I will pay, I just don't see what was done as appropriate.

Am I off the mark here?  Especially being a full tithe payer, church purchase of a summer camp in southern CA, a billion on a mall???

I'm retired and supporting my Grandnephew on his Mission. The IPad becomes the property of the Missionary to take home with him after the Mission. It's a great tool for our technosavy young people. I wrote the check.

We got along just fine hauling a film strip projector around in my day.

We got along just fine hauling a film strip projector around in my day.

And probably Swedish Knit suits! Yeah, my husband had the same film projecter he carried too. That was probably one heavy backpack for you guys/gals. If on foot or bike.

Fascinating that England ranks so high especially considering the free health care and good public transit.

Free? You are joking right? Nothing is ever free.

Free? You are joking right? Nothing is ever free.

Obviously just using shorthand.  Nothing is free.  But in terms of costs to the church missionary department... it's close to free.  And I'm basing this on my parents' experience there as mission presidents.

• 3 weeks later...

Seeing the cost, even at the low end of the dollar amount, convinces me to believe that monthly payments should be raised to at least $700-1,000 if not more. It would also help if the Church was more active in encouraging missionaries to buy healthy foods, and not to be 'cheep' by buying just roman noodles, mac & cheese, and other cheep and unhealthy foods. On my mission alone, there were a few missionaries that got themselves into medical trouble by trying to save the Church money by buying cheep unhealthy food.

When I was on my mission in the late 90s in England housing was one of the most difficult costs. Flats/apartments were not cost-effective or available in a lot of areas and the mission usually rented homes and put 4-6 missionaries in each one. The Church generally prefers not to do this. Putting more then a pair of missionaries together tends to lead to trouble but they did not have much choice.

The cost of living in England is much higher after currency conversion then it is in the States. When I was there most things such as food and electricity were 1.5 to 2 times as expensive. In many areas a weekly or monthly bus pass was a necessity. Of course if we went to McDonalds and Pizza Hutt all you can eat buffets less when wanting American food we probably could have stretched our personal budgets a little more.

I was in England Manchester. Nice to know we are #5. I hope they still regularly win for most baptisms in the Europe North area. Stupid Edinburgh passed us up right before I went home.

Seeing the cost, even at the low end of the dollar amount, convinces me to believe that monthly payments should be raised to at least $700-1,000 if not more. It would also help if the Church was more active in encouraging missionaries to buy healthy foods, and not to be 'cheep' by buying just roman noodles, mac & cheese, and other cheep and unhealthy foods. On my mission alone, there were a few missionaries that got themselves into medical trouble by trying to save the Church money by buying cheep unhealthy food.

How would most members of the church afford to pay $700-1000 a month for each missionary they had out?

I just found out the mission is getting even more expensive. My son has been out for a while and was one of the missionaries that got iPads as part of the trial group over a year ago. I am now told out of the blue that I owe the church for an iPad. Apparently, the church swept the ward mission account already and took the money and I got notified I owe another $400 on top of already sending him out and outfitting him.

I am not real pleased with this, just give another $400 for something that is not needed. I served just fine without one, our current missionaries in my ward do just fine without one. Frankly, I don't think I should pay. What comes next on top of the monthly money, paying for the car lease, auto insurance, etc. Do I get a bill if the ward kitchen needs a new stove?

Yes, I am a bit irritated at this moment with it. That $400 would be going for a laptop for school when he returns. There are far cheaper alternatives than Apple. Venting right now, still not sure if I will pay, I just don't see what was done as appropriate.

Am I off the mark here? Especially being a full tithe payer, church purchase of a summer camp in southern CA, a billion on a mall???

The missionaries have been using them here for quite some time. I may have felt like you before, but working closely with the missionaries I have seen them put to good use.

They can show videos and conference anywhere, even in the middle of a park. They have a large amount of videos to share just at the right time without carrying them around. As many people have switched to streaming video they don't have to rely on people having DVD players. The videos are especially effective with the younger generations.

They also share pictures on them and the variety of pictures is much greater than I had available.

Then there are the hymns. My companions and I would sometimes sing to bring the Spirit it. Now even missionaries that need the music to keep in tune have it. They also invite investigators to sing with them and teach them songs they don't know through them. When they teach commonly heard songs then the investigator feels more comfortable at church when he hears them.

Many people have phones or tablets now. When the missionaries use them while teaching the investigator picks up that info. They are now more likely to download the apps themselves and use them.

Then there are good tools to use for keeping track of contacts and investigators. Everyone doesn't get completely lost in area books that have been there for a 100 years.

They can also send reports to ward mission leaders, the ward council and the mission president easily.

Also, as JustServe rolls into areas where the missionaries are, they can use their ipads to easily find service that works for them. It wouldn't be worth it for just this, but it is just one of the many things when you combine them that makes it worth it overall.

I love it!

Now I understand the apple business. I have an android and have no plans to go apple because of the expense etc. But I understand that it is easier to program for it so it is easier to get those things in the hands of our missionaries. Some have also said it is easier to learn. This is good because missionaries hit the ground running and don't have a lot of time to learn it all. Better to make it easier to learn because of all the missionary languages as well.

I'm sure this was well thought out and studied. I'm involved in a phase of pilots for something else. There is a huge amount of feedback that we give while doing our calling and being on the lowest rung I am sure I don't understand just how much there is. I really don't think the church made the decision to go ipad lightly.

All that said, I understand that was a surprise to you and not a cheap one. I understand why you would be bothered. I think though if you give it a chance that you will find great good that comes from it as well. If the expense is too much please talk with your bishop and I am sure he will find some way to help you.

Archived