Seriously No Politics ×

Some Interesting Newsworthy Events For Jan 1St

JAHS

All happening on January 1:

1971 - The first issue of the Ensign magazine is made available to English-speaking members.

1977 - The First Presidency announces that general conferences will be held on the first Sundays of April and October.

1990 - Starting January 1, 1990, ward and stake budgets in the United States and Canada were funded entirely from general tithing without additional local contributions.

1991 - Starting January 1, 1991, the monthly cost to missionaries and their families was standardized to the average monthly expense of missionaries worldwide.

1996 - Elder Merrill J. Bateman begins his term as eleventh president of Brigham Young University.

1997 - BYU football team defeats Kansas State in the Cotton Bowl.

1998 - The Melchizedek Priesthood and Relief Society begin study of the Teachings of the Presidents of the Church.

2000 - The First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve issue "The Living Christ: The Testimony of the Apostles".

I'm not sure if you're limiting your list to newsworthy events that took place on January 1, but, if not, I would add the announcement of The Family: A Proclamation to the World in 1995. :)

I'm not sure if you're limiting your list to newsworthy events that took place on January 1, but, if not, I would add the announcement of The Family: A Proclamation to the World in 1995. :)

Just Jan 1.  But yeah, the proclamation was 20 years ago this year.

Archived