Seriously No Politics ×

Barack Obama Biblically-Annotated Quotes (Help Welcome)

Hamilton Porter

Please do not engage in political debate. I'm compiling a list of Bible quotations used by the President, and would like to know if I missed on anything, because I'm doing this from memory. 

Memorial Services:  http://swampland.time.com/2013/09/22/10-bible-references-obama-uses-at-memorial-services/%C2'>

Heath Care: Bear false witness against Obamacare (Ex 20:16) 

Immigration: Treat strangers well, because you were a stranger in Egypt (Ex 23:9).

Don't throw stones in glass houses (see Sir 27:25), take the mote out of your own eye (Mat 7:1-3) 

Bipartisanship: Put away childish things (1 Cor 13:11) 

Poverty, racism, sexism: Care for least among us (Matt 25:40, Luke 9:48). 

Communitarianism: I am my brother's and sister's keeper (Gen 4:9-10) 

Economic Foundations: Build house on a rock, not sand (Matt 7:24-27)

Please do not engage in political debate. I'm compiling a list of Bible quotations used by the President, and would like to know if I missed on anything, because I'm doing this from memory. 

Memorial Services: 

Immigration: Treat strangers well, because you were a stranger in Egypt (Ex 23:9).

Don't throw stones in glass houses (see Sir 27:25), take the mote out of your own eye (Mat 7:1-3) 

For better or worse everyone uses quotes from the Bible for their own ends.

Good usage of scriptures, from a so-called anti Christ, haha.

Not really when you look at the facts. In addition, he missed one on immigration:

Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that entereth not by the door into the sheepfold, but climbeth up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber. John 10:1

• 2 weeks later...

Not really when you look at the facts. In addition, he missed one on immigration:

Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that entereth not by the door into the sheepfold, but climbeth up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber. John 10:1

Yeah, because crossing a national border is comparable to breaking into someone's barn with intent to steal.

Yeah, because crossing a national border is comparable to breaking into someone's barn with intent to steal.

"Illegally crossing a national border" is the accurate description of the issue, in which case I can agree with you wholeheartedly. Leaving out the word "Illegally" as you did is a strawman argument, but I think more highly of you; that you didn't mean to use a strawman. Also, it's not often you agree with the majority:

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/current_events/immigration/september_2014/voters_strongly_oppose_legal_rights_government_benefits_for_illegal_immigrants]Voters Strongly Oppose Legal Rights, Government Benefits for Illegal Immigrants

You also seem to agree with the LDS Church sponsored Utah Compact where it says in part:

We urge Utah’s congressional delegation, and others, to lead efforts to strengthen federal laws and protect our national borders.

I congratulate you.

"Illegally crossing a national border" is the accurate description of the issue, in which case I can agree with you wholeheartedly. Leaving out the word "Illegally" as you did is a strawman argument, but I think more highly of you; that you didn't mean to use a strawman. Also, it's not often you agree with the majority: Voters Strongly Oppose Legal Rights, Government Benefits for Illegal Immigrants]http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/current_events/immigration/september_2014/voters_strongly_oppose_legal_rights_government_benefits_for_illegal_immigrants]Voters Strongly Oppose Legal Rights, Government Benefits for Illegal Immigrants You also seem to agree with the LDS Church sponsored Utah Compact where it says in part:  I congratulate you.

Well if the will of the American people is that we should seal the borders it must be right. After all it is a pool of supernal wisdom just waiting to be tapped. Glad to see we are still agreeing.

Memorial Services: 

(bold mine)

http://academic.udayton.edu/race/02rights/guadalu3.htm   "General Ulysses S. Grant calls the Mexican War "the most unjust war ever undertaken by a stronger nation against a weaker one."

http://www.history.army.mil/brochures/Occupation/Occupation.htm  "The United States also coveted Mexico's lands north of the Rio Grande to support its rapidly growing population of approximately eleven million by 1840. Looking westward to expand, the nation justified its demand for land with the concept of Manifest Destiny, a belief that God willed it to control the entire North American land mass. More than the perceived will of God, however, was involved. Economics also played a central role in the concept. American explorers in California had reported deep-water ports along the west coast, valuable departure points when the United States sought to open trade between its own growing industries and lucrative markets in Asia. In an attempt to settle Texas border questions and to secure California, the U.S. government had offered several times between 1842 and 1845 to purchase both regions from Mexico. Mexico City refused all overtures because Mexican popular opinion insisted that the government preserve all of the territory that the nation had wrested from Spain."

So Hamilton, what do you think about this?

TSS, I love the link to all the scriptures pertaining to immigration and believe the LDS church agrees!

(bold mine)

http://academic.udayton.edu/race/02rights/guadalu3.htm   "General Ulysses S. Grant calls the Mexican War "the most unjust war ever undertaken by a stronger nation against a weaker one."

http://www.history.army.mil/brochures/Occupation/Occupation.htm  "The United States also coveted Mexico's lands north of the Rio Grande to support its rapidly growing population of approximately eleven million by 1840. Looking westward to expand, the nation justified its demand for land with the concept of Manifest Destiny, a belief that God willed it to control the entire North American land mass. More than the perceived will of God, however, was involved. Economics also played a central role in the concept. American explorers in California had reported deep-water ports along the west coast, valuable departure points when the United States sought to open trade between its own growing industries and lucrative markets in Asia. In an attempt to settle Texas border questions and to secure California, the U.S. government had offered several times between 1842 and 1845 to purchase both regions from Mexico. Mexico City refused all overtures because Mexican popular opinion insisted that the government preserve all of the territory that the nation had wrested from Spain."

So Hamilton, what do you think about this?

TSS, I love the link to all the scriptures pertaining to immigration and believe the LDS church agrees!

I think the Church does too. My main point however, is that just quoting Scripture isn't a good method for establishing good law. The angels and devils can quote scripture for their own purposes.

"Illegally crossing a national border" is the accurate description of the issue, in which case I can agree with you wholeheartedly. Leaving out the word "Illegally" as you did is a strawman argument, but I think more highly of you; that you didn't mean to use a strawman. Also, it's not often you agree with the majority:

Ok, this is politics, but what the heck.

"Illegal" in the case of immigration laws is defined by the country one is crossing into.  If your cross the Canadian border into the United States, you might violate US law, but you're not violating Canadian law (at least to my understanding).  And as a resident of Canada, you never agreed to be bound by US law.  Why should the US get to exclude what other countries think when deciding what is and is not legal regarding what constitutes trespass, at least from a moral perspective.

In the case of trespass into one's property, what is and isn't legal is determined by some outside authority, which is above and beyond the parties involved.

The US saying that it's illegal to cross into its borders without permission is really a matter of it controlling it's territory -- a matter of "might makes right."  But "might makes right" isn't the best criterium for determining morality.

Well if the will of the American people is that we should seal the borders it must be right. After all it is a pool of supernal wisdom just waiting to be tapped. Glad to see we are still agreeing.

because all laws are righteous and just.

He probably reads from obamacare every day as well since that is a law as well and just as sacred

• 2 weeks later...

[snicker] Please do not engage in (any smart/sensible) political debate.[/snicker],

Memorial Services: 

You understand (or more than likely don't) that you left this entirely blank. I guess you failed to sensibly fill in (between the lines) any copy/pasted/regurgitated/comedic nonsense that you picked up from somewhere else.

Are you even aware of what Exodus 20:16 says? I suspect not at all. 

"You shall not give false testimony against your neighbor."

How exactly might "Obamacare" have any connection to Exodus 20:16, in a negative sense? Please don't try to regurgitate other peoples' nonesense.

Clueless ... sorry. Perhaps you can [somehow] compare your biblical reference with Mosiah's arrival at the land of Zarahemla. Should they have been summarily rejected because of whatever Mulekite laws?

_____

In the future, when starting a thread here, you might want to seriously consider the word "cud."  It's the pre-processed substance that a camel (for instance) enjoys to regurgitate ... for further processing. If you are not genuinely willing (and that seems to me to be the case) to nutritionally add ANYTHING, but rather to echo ... or regurgitate "non-nutritional-cud" provided by others within your circles ... who don't have a clue (and, additionally, are unwilling to think logically) ... then feel free to post elsewhere.

Hey ... maybe you could limit your posts to the Social Hall forum. ;)

While not a huge fan of Barack Obama (though I was at one time), I can comfortably contrast his visions to the blindness of George Bush, Jr. My point in this whole post is that when you say "I'm compiling a list of Bible quotations used by the President [seriously, honestly?]" ... you'd best not be standing on wet sand. Surely you can feel the last of your imaginary wave receding from your feet on that beach ... and you're left, very naturally, standing six inches lower. The ebbing water feels great though. Now you can pull your feet out of that suctioning sand, one by one ('cause you can't possibly pull them out simultaneously). Feels good ... you understand that you've been "owned" by the ebb and tide ... and always will be.

Archived