Seriously No Politics ×

Bearing A Testimony Defense

Elder S. Dilworth Young said: “If I am to receive revelation from the Lord, I must be in harmony with him by keeping his commandments. Then as needed, according to his wisdom, his word will come into my mind through my thoughts, accompanied by a feeling in the region of my bosom. It is a feeling which cannot be described, but the nearest word we have is ‘burn’ or ‘burning.’ Accompanying this always is a feeling of peace, a further witness that what one heard is right. Once one recognizes this burning, this feeling, this peace, one need never be drawn astray in his daily life or in the guidance he may receive.” (“The Still Small Voice,” Ensign, May 1976, p. 23.)

How is it that commandment have to be kept to receive revelation?  As discussed on this board, Joseph Smith often lied and did things behind his wife's back that would be concerning his relationships with young girls and the wives of married men, yet we are to believe that god kept talking to him?   Why does not this low standard with regards to revelation apply to others?

Did you read it?   He said a revelation was known to him when he had thoughts that were tagged by an interior sensation of peace.  Do we have to go into the definition of emotion now?

Not all sensations are emotion.

How is it that commandment have to be kept to receive revelation?  As discussed on this board, Joseph Smith often lied and did things behind his wife's back that would be concerning his relationships with young girls and the wives of married men, yet we are to believe that god kept talking to him?   Why does not this low standard with regards to revelation apply to others?

You assume that God would not forbid the casting of pearls before swine. In other words, divulging sacred things to the rabble of the world.

If God commanded you not to divulge something, and someone asked you a direct question about it, what would you do?  Tell the truth or obey God?

BTW, speculation about what JS's so called "relationships with young girls and the wives of married men" is nothing more than speculation.  And never will rise to the level of fact.

Richard Nixon once said that if the President of the United States does something, that makes it legal. 

That's interesting that god would put you in a situation to lie. Especially to your eternal companion.

Well, I prefer to lie "with" my eternal companion, but that is just me.  The fact that God gave us agency and put us in a situation (mortality) to do as we choose is interesting, but it's not news. 

so I have been a member of the church for along time and have heard this said many a time, " if you don't want to argue with someone over the doctrines of the church just bear your testimony, they won't have a reply".

I hear this a lot, and it was not until last week that this teaching started to bother me a lot more, I feel that this is really a weak way to stand for the truth of the gospel.

I belive you should always say why you know the church is true, because I have studied its teachings and applied them to my life and found that I have been given greater spiritual understanding to make it thru life.

And then share a few scriptures that have helped me.

So my question is, what are your thoughts on the testimony defense.

And your understanding of acts 17:2-3 of reasoning thru the scriptures.

Rather than trying to one-up or silence someone through testimony bearing, I think a better attitude is to do it as part of inviting and encouraging another to seek his own spiritual witness. It is a means of assurance and motivation.

Consider this from the oft-quoted passage in Moroni 10:

3 Behold, I would exhort you that when ye shall read these things, if it be wisdom in God that ye should read them, that ye would remember how amerciful the Lord hath been unto the children of men, from the creation of Adam even down until the time that ye shall receive these things, and bponder it in your chearts.

i

Moroni, in effect, is saying, "Ponder how merciful the Lord has been to people in the past, and let that thought encourage you to have the faith to go to Him in prayer, trusting that He will also be merciful to you."

In effect, we all do this (or should all do this) when we bear testimony. We say to someone: "The Lord was merciful to me when I humbly and sincerely sought a witness from Him through prayer; perhaps he will also be merciful to you if you likewise approach Him. Don't you think it's worth a try?"

Edited by Scott Lloyd