Seriously No Politics ×

Towards A Better Understanding Of Same Sex Attraction And Sin

Rodeo

rockpond, then if they were obeying the law of chastity it's sad that they were treated in such a way. We need to be more loving and understanding with all our members.

It's sad when we treat someone badly regardless of whether or not they are obeying a particular commandment.  We're all sinners.

In the case of this young man, the condemnation was not just coming from individuals but from the institutional level, from the top of the Church.  Fortunately, the recent years have brought some great changes.

So, yes, we need to be more loving and understanding.

It's sad when we treat someone badly regardless of whether or not they are obeying a particular commandment.  We're all sinners.

In the case of this young man, the condemnation was not just coming from individuals but from the institutional level, from the top of the Church.  Fortunately, the recent years have brought some great changes.

So, yes, we need to be more loving and understanding.

Define "treating badly".

Families in the eternities can only exist as the laws of the universe allow them to.

Which is in an infinite variety of configurations, same as in mortality.

Edited by Tsuzuki

rockpond, the damage you spoke of that the gay person you counseled felt and condemnation, isn't that the same condemnation that men who have pre martial sex with women feel since it's also a sin?

It is not the same type of condemnation if you are gay. I guess you could say that it is discriminated condemnation? :crazy:

To answer your question, of course it is the same type.

Edited by Mola Ram Suda Ram

No.  This young man was someone who had been and was currently obeying the law of chastity.

Then there was no condemnation. Are you sure you are not confusing being made fun of and condemnation?

I was neither gay nor did I commit any serious sexual sins, yet I was made fun of profusely as a teenage at church even by leaders.

I think when we talk about this issue we need to keep it real and not mask it or make it bigger than what it is.

This is true..but and however, it is not OUR place to judge..or say that someone is unfit to love because that is how they feel! 

The expression of love is a human trait. 

So because I love some one it is ok to break the law of chastity? Is that what you are advocating?

I thought the point of this life was to over come the natural man, or the "if it feels good do it" urges that we all get.

Edited by Mola Ram Suda Ram

Then there was no condemnation. Are you sure you are not confusing being made fun of and condemnation?

I was neither gay nor did I commit any serious sexual sins, yet I was made fun of profusely as a teenage at church even by leaders.

I think when we talk about this issue we need to keep it real and not mask it or make it bigger than what it is.

No, I'm not confusing "being made fun of" and condemnation.

He felt condemned by Church teachings for who he was.

Believe me, in my comments here I have certainly not made it bigger than it was.  In fact, I have toned it down quite a bit.

For example, this young man was sincerely hopeful that he would be killed during his mission so that he would not have to come home and face a life as a gay man.

And with that last comment, I am going to back away from the threads and enjoy the weekend with my family.  Take care all.

Send me a PM if you have something specific to ask me.  I am going to turn off notifications for this thread.

Edited by rockpond

So because I love some one it is ok to break the law of chastity? Is that what you are advocating?

I thought the point of this life was to over come the natural man, or the "if it feels good do it" urges that we all get.

And is it not possible that gay people are true and chaste amongst themselves?  If everybody is supposed to overcome the natural man (and I do understand and was brought up with that principle)..then those who weigh over 300 pounds are feeling way too good!

My son approached me a few years ago and confessed to being attracted to males. He is trying to be a non-practicing homosexual (he is still active LDS). During one of our many conversations, I told him that I have tried to imagine what it would be like to be in his shoes. How difficult would it be if any form of heterosexual intimate relations was considered a sin? I can't imagine having no approved method of satisfying my intense desire to be with a woman. Consequently I have told my son that I will not judge him in this regard.

1000 amens, my brother! It's amazing how feelings change when we put ourselves in someone else's position.

For those of you who think that those with SSA should ignore those urges, be a true saint and show them the way. Give up your intimate heterosexual relationships to provide a shining example of discipline (the core of "discipleship").

Any takers? Anyone? Bueller? Then perhaps you should be a little less quick to judge others for following the desires of THEIR hearts.

Rodeo, what are these blurred lines you speak of that Satan loves? I'm agreeing with you, but I was just curious.

Blurred lines are those points that separate right from wrong. An example of this is blurring the lines of marriage where Satan has used the same sex attraction as a platform to justify homosexual behavior as normal as heterosexual behavior and thst because of this it should also be right that they should be treated the same even be legally married.

So that I cannot be accused of racism I want to quote Brigham Young which I feel truly represents our awful situation in the world today-

I like this strategy.  I can't say don't blame me, I'm just sharing the prophets words. 

Phaedrus

Excellent post, Phaedrus

Not going into complete details here, but my stepson, who is gay, just lost his partner to suicide after 7 years.  Irrelevant I am sure is the fact that he was LDS (my stepson is not).  But that being said, we cannot know ...really know..what it would be like to have someone say you are evil, bad..because you love.  I know the world isn't fair..but we should try.

GA's, Stake Presidents, Bishop and the average Joe, speak of sins other than homosexuality all the time from the pulpit. If someone commits suicide, is it because they preached against the sin of stealing, or domestic abuse, or murder, and so on?

If you want to know how God feels about homosexual activity just ask a sodomite. Wait... Just kidding...

Hmmm... I don't see the humor....

Gays wouldn't know how God feels about them...?

"If you want to know how God feels about Mormons/ism, ask a Mormon!"

Wait... just kidding. Ask various 'anti-Mormon' advocacy groups, like Lighthouse Ministries or the Southern Baptist Convention.

"If you want to know how God feels about Gays, just as a homosexual! Wait... just kidding. Ask a bunch of anti-gay churches or think tanks that make money off of reparation therapy, like Westboro Baptist Church or NARTH."

Hilarious!

Edited by Daniel2

Blurred lines are those points that separate right from wrong. An example of this is blurring the lines of marriage where Satan has used the same sex attraction as a platform to justify homosexual behavior as normal as heterosexual behavior and thst because of this it should also be right that they should be treated the same even be legally married.

yeah.  It was so much better when gays were only allowed to live together.  Now because of Satan, gay couples have the option to be in a legally recognized relationship.  Marriage seems to stabelize relationships.  It is all Satan's fault.  Certainly God would not want gay couples in a stabel relationship.

GA's, Stake Presidents, Bishop and the average Joe, speak of sins other than homosexuality all the time from the pulpit.

No offense, Pa Pa but your language here is indicative of the problem. You didn't bother to distinguish between homosexuality (the orientation) which is not considered a sin and homosexual behavior (which is).

I'm confident that you are aware of the difference but imagine being a gay or lesbian 14 year old and hearing a bishop or a teacher speak of "homosexuality" being a sin.

Edited by rockpond

yeah.  It was so much better when gays were only allowed to live together.  Now because of Satan, gay couples have the option to be in a legally recognized relationship.  Marriage seems to stabelize relationships.  It is all Satan's fault.  Certainly God would not want gay couples in a stabel relationship.

Your comments echo the effects of the blurred lines. Marriage is a holy union between male and female.

And just what part is blurry for you?  Are you confused whether you should be married in the temple or not because gays are allowed to marry?  How does this effect your life?  Could you explain to me your confusion? How do you think it will effect anyones life that isn't gay?