Sign in to follow this  
Thinking

Can A Person Get A Sealing Cancellation Without Getting Married In The Temple Again?

I ask this question because I know some women who were told to wait to obtain the sealing cancellation until they were ready to be married in the temple again. The wait caused a lot of stress because the plans for the new wedding depended on the timing of the cancellation.

On another thread I asked a question.

My sister was married in the temple and bore 5 children in the covenant. She and her first husband later divorced. Her sealing was cancelled when she was ready to be sealed to another man.

Do her children remain sealed to her and her first husband?

JAHS replied.

Whatever happens to the parents the sealing blessings of the children are not affected. We are all sealed into God's eternal family. What's important to the children is the sealing to their own future spouses.

In that same thread Garden Girl wrote.

I personally have known two women who have had sealings cancelled who have gone on to be sealed to a new husband.  They leave the sealing in place until such time as that woman is approved for the cancellation and new marriage.

If the children remain sealed to the parents, what is the purpose of not allowing a sealing cancellation until a new temple marriage is planned?

If the children remain sealed to the parents, what is the purpose of not allowing a sealing cancellation until a new temple marriage is planned?

I think the standard answer is that there are certain blessings associated with the sealing ordinance that will not be available to a person who is not sealed--even if the partner has broken their covenant. So why give that up? That is the only explanation I have heard anyway.

The sealing ordinances are contingent ordinances. The Church has tried to accommodation all the " But in my case " exceptions that fallible humans have and continue to create outside the original intentions of the law. Mat 5:32 gives an idea how things should be but as BRM once wrote to me ' we are not capable of living this law yet ' . Proxy work is done and could be done for those who find a need for a second, or third, or fourth sealing. The stats surrounding second marriages are not that great. But, I guess hope springs eternal.

Edited by strappinglad

I do know of a now single woman who was divorced that wishes so much that she could get this cancellation and still have a children. She does not see a marriage anywhere in her future but is very faithful and deligent in the church and her callings.

I feel for her because she fears the sealing to this man and would rather God chose her another mate.  I feel for people like this who feel like they have no choices.

She is not sealed to the man except on paper (and not sure about that if divorced since I think that is noted). Certainly the Church would view it as breaking covenants if a divorced couple were to have sex together, which implies the Church views the marriage aspect of the sealing over with. Otoh, if either spouse in a divorce has been true to the covenants they've made with God, that sealing---the one with God---is still in place and that is the sealing that isn't to be cancelled until it is redone in the context of another marriage relationship.

A sealing to a child though needs both parents. If she wishes to adopt, she could not have the child sealed to her until she is remarried in this life or the next.

Edited by calmoriah

When a sealing between husband and wife occurs, they are not only sealed to each other but also to God and His eternal family. For a sealing to be valid between a man and woman it must be sealed by the holy spirit of promise; something that happens as the couple remains faithful to each other and the covenants they make to each other in the temple. When a divorce happens their union between each other is no longer sealed by the holy spirit of promise and in the eternal sense is essentially voided between the man and woman. But if both still remain faithful in the church and to God, they can still enjoy the blessings of being sealed into God's eternal family. I think this is why they don't normally allow sealing cancellations until the woman is ready to be sealed to someone else.  

Interesting to note that there is nothing in the church handbook that specifically says a cancellation can't happen before a divorced woman finds someone else to be sealed to. Must be in another handbook. 

Edited by JAHS

Interesting to note that there is nothing in the church handbook that specifically says a [cancellation] can't happen before a divorced woman finds someone else to be sealed to. Must be in another handbook. 

Is it OK to quote a part of CHI book 1 on this board?

I think the standard answer is that there are certain blessings associated with the sealing ordinance that will not be available to a person who is not sealed--even if the partner has broken their covenant. So why give that up? That is the only explanation I have heard anyway.

When a sealing between husband and wife occurs, they are not only sealed to each other but also to God and His eternal family. For a sealing to be valid between a man and woman it must be sealed by the holy spirit of promise; something that happens as the couple remains faithful to each other and the covenants they make to each other in the temple. When a divorce happens their union between each other is no longer sealed by the holy spirit of promise and in the eternal sense is essentially voided between the man and woman. But if both still remain faithful in the church and to God, they can still enjoy the blessings of being sealed into God's eternal family. I think this is why they don't normally allow sealing cancellations until the woman is ready to be sealed to someone else.  

These explanations are what I understand... there are certain sealing blessings that are important for the spouses even though they may become divorced.... those blessings should remain in place and not be cancelled unless and until a second temple marriage is desired.  ("both" = either spouse who remains faithful...) 

GG

Edited by Garden Girl

These explanations are what I understand... there are certain sealing blessings that are important for the spouses even though they may become divorced.... those blessings should remain in place and not be cancelled unless and until a second temple marriage is desired. ("both" = either spouse who remains faithful...)

GG

This is how my mom feels about it. She has been divorced for almost 30 years from my dad and never remarried although my dad has married and been sealed to other women. She cherishes her sealing covenant and does not want to lose those blessings.

I was sealed or am still sealed but we divorced. I went to the Bishop to see if I could get my sealing cancelled so we wouldn't haven't do any of the rigamarole of getting it done while engaged. I was told that I had to be engaged to have it cancelled. A guy in our stake was sealed to his now ex wife, they got that sealing cancelled lickety-split and he got re-sealed to a new lady on friday

According to one of the board rules one thing you can't do: 

"Copying and pasting material and claiming it as your own or posting anything copyrighted"

The CHI is of course copyrighted. So perhaps under board rules you can't do it, however the "fair use" rule makes it possible to quote excerpts from copyrighted material when you are simply using it as support for making comments on a related subject.

According to one of the board rules one thing you can't do: 

"Copying and pasting material and claiming it as your own or posting anything copyrighted"

The CHI is of course copyrighted. So perhaps under board rules you can't do it, however the "fair use" rule makes it possible to quote excerpts from copyrighted material when you are simply using it as support for making comments on a related subject.

Since I have access to Handbook 1 due to my calling, I just had a look and found that there is no wording that even suggests a woman has to wait until she is engaged before she can seek a sealing cancellation. This what it says about applying for a cancellation:

Applying for a Cancellation of Sealing or a Sealing Clearance

A woman who has previously been sealed must receive a cancellation of that sealing from the First Presidency before she may be sealed to another man in her lifetime. A man who has been divorced from a woman who was sealed to him must receive a sealing clearance from the First Presidency before another woman may be sealed to him (see “Sealing of Living Members after Divorce” above).

If the bishop and stake president decide to recommend that a cancellation of sealing or a sealing clearance be granted, they submit an Application to the First Presidency form. This form is available electronically in units that use Church record-keeping software. Leaders of these units should not contact the Office of the First Presidency to obtain a copy. The form is available from the Area Presidency in other areas. Instructions are on the form. Before submitting the application, the stake president makes sure that the divorce is final and that the applicant is current in all legal requirements for child and spousal support related to the divorce.

If a member has requested a cancellation of sealing or a sealing clearance, he or she may not schedule an appointment for a temple marriage or sealing until receiving a letter from the First Presidency giving notice that the cancellation or clearance has been granted. The person should present this letter at the temple.

Now, it is possible that the form that is mentioned has requirements on it that say a woman must wait until and engagement. Not being in a bishopric, I don't have access to the form.

Edited by Stargazer

Just as all people will have the opportunity to have the blessings of all ordinances during the Millennium, so also will all of these things being corrected.  

As an aside, those who enter into the Celestial Kingdom are filled with all that Christ possesses and offers.  All hard feelings, confusion, distrust and other negative feelings are put aside in place of love, patience, and forgiveness.  Everything will work out and all will be well; we stand directly before our Father in Heaven in his presence.  I don't think there is any really need for concern that we may be with someone we think we don't like....these concerns do not exist in heaven. 

A woman who has previously been sealed must receive a cancellation of that sealing from the First Presidency before she may be sealed to another man in her lifetime. A man who has been divorced from a woman who was sealed to him must receive a sealing clearance from the First Presidency before another woman may be sealed to him. . . .

Is anyone here able to explain the difference between a "cancellation of that sealing" and a "sealing clearance," as well as why the requirements for men are different than those for women?

Thank you in advance.

I believe the Church has directed no copies be made so while it may be legal, members at leat wouldn't see it as ethical especially if the quote is from a Hanbook misappropriated to be posted online.

Is anyone here able to explain the difference between a "cancellation of that sealing" and a "sealing clearance," as well as why the requirements for men are different than those for women?

Thank you in advance.

At this point in time, living women are by policy sealed to only one man at a time, thus if they want to be sealed to another man typical they are required to get their sealing cancelled. However, since at least the early 90s we've been getting reliable reports of widows being able to be sealed to both their dead and living spouses by special permission from the first pres. This makes sense since after death she and they can be sealed together.

A man at this point can be sealed to more than one living woman at a time and therefore he needs to have a sealing clearance in order to determine all is proper. Right before they instituted those, an exhusband didn't have to wait at all and my sister's exhusband who abused her was able to get remarried in the temple shortly after their divorce. A couple of months later, most likely he wouldn't have gotten that clearance and might have even been disfellowshipped.

The differences are a result of plural marriage practices and traditions, IMO. For example, it used to be taught a woman would only be sealed to one man no matter how many sealing procedures she went through or rather had proxy done for her. That language has been removed and is no longer taught which leads me to believe they researched it and found out it was based on speculation.

I suspect as time goes on the trend will continue to have men and women go through the same process since it is already identical for the dead and while not official, can be identical for widows. What this means eternally is unknown.

I don't really get the waiting for cancellation for women as if it removes a covenant as that would seem to be completely unfair to an exhusband who had not remarried, if cancelling the sealing cancels the covenant with God for both parties, then why is the husband left out in the cold because the wife remarries, but the wife gets to keep her covenants if the husband remarries. Women need to be protected in this, but not men? I think this is an artifact due to the belief men are more likely to ask for a divorce or be a cause of it given the extreme hardship it used to cause women, men more likely getting remarried than women so it isn't run into as much plus the idea a man can be married to more than one woman at a time...but he is not married to his ex wife, they risk excommunication for example if they have sex together after the divorce especially if they've remarried even if the sealing is still in place.

Edited by calmoriah