Seriously No Politics ×

Don't You Wonder What You Were Like In The Pre Mortal World?

I completely wonder how what we were like in the pre mortal world. I wonder how I acted, and what I did, and how important I was in the pre mortal existence. I'm sure others have wondered as well.

Important, no, but the rest and what life was like most definitely.

If God gave me a choice between good looks and material riches in this estate, it's obvious which one I chose.  ;)

Seriously, being the oldest of eight children, and seeing the differences in personality and temperament between my brothers and sisters, all raised in the same home by the same parents, a premortal life, with premortal differences, is the only explanation that makes any sense.

If God gave me a choice between good looks and material riches in this estate, it's obvious which one I chose.  ;)

Seriously, being the oldest of eight children, and seeing the differences in personality and temperament between my brothers and sisters, all raised in the same home by the same parents, a premortal life, with premortal differences, is the only explanation that makes any sense.

To some it would indicate evolutionary differences.  A sentiment I do not subscribe to.  I am with you. I haven't raised a dozen kids not to be able to see that.

Some of the early brethren gave some opinions about the nature of our spirit body birth but nothing beyond that. There seems to be a complete absence of any sort of commentary or opinion vocalized about the nature of our pre-mortal spirits before spirit maturity. If anybody knows different, please let me know -- I'd be most interested.

I'm afraid to know what I was like then.  But I will eventually be allowed to remember, so I have something to look forward to, I guess.

From what I have read, premortality is a subject that doesn't have much light shed on it beyond maybe the basic contours. You see innocent children in Africa etc. who live in such appalling conditions and die in childhood and obviously millions of others as well and they never had the chance to hear and accept the Gospel and you wonder why were they sent to such conditions? What kind of life did God foresee for these barbaric people here in life, Dahmer, Stalin etc. and so many other things not spelled out in the scriptures.

I completely wonder how what we were like in the pre mortal world. I wonder how I acted, and what I did, and how important I was in the pre mortal existence. I'm sure others have wondered as well.

I wish we knew.  My patriarchal blessing gives me a few insights, but nothing concrete.

I think our premortal life entailed far more than we realize.  I think there were laws, commandments, ordinances, and progression, that we commonly refer to as keeping our first estate, just as the laws, commandments, ordinances and progression here will allow us to keep our second estate.

There are teachings that we became organized into families there.  There are teachings that we held callings/priesthood or something similar there.  By virtue of our receiving bodies we know we accepted Heavenly Father's plan there and were sent here to do it again.

But we won't know what we really achieved or what our personalities were like there until the day the veil is lifted.  That will be a day of surprise for almost everyone I would think.

If I was anything like I am now, I probably showed up late to the Great Council only to find it had abruptly ended early.  “Hey, sorry I’m late again.  Did I miss anything important?” 

Never thought about it...I've been kicking myself for 57 years here, so I need the rest of not knowing.

My patriarchal blessing gives me a few insights, but nothing concrete.

I think our premortal life entailed far more than we realize.  I think there were laws, commandments, ordinances, and progression, that we commonly refer to as keeping our first estate, just as the laws, commandments, ordinances and progression here will allow us to keep our second estate.

There are teachings that we became organized into families there.  There are teachings that we held callings/priesthood or something similar there.  By virtue of our receiving bodies we know we accepted Heavenly Father's plan there and were sent here to do it again.

But we won't know what we really achieved or what our personalities were like there until the day the veil is lifted.  That will be a day of surprise for almost everyone I would think.

I was thinking of my patriarchal blessing also... it's obvious Heavenly Father knew me... my nature...

I don't know about being organized into families there... I think that takes place here.. too many "ifs" and a sense of predestination to suit me if previously determined and organized... but of course not sure how spirits are given into a particular family while in this estate, or why... 

I think we bring some of our personality traits with us... (that's scary... was I always assertive... opinionated... yikes!)  I don't think I've ever been "soft," like a gentle woman...  but... that doesn't mean that I'm not compassionate and caring...

GG

I don't know about being organized into families there... I think that takes place here.. too many "ifs" and a sense of predestination to suit me if previously determined and organized... but of course not sure how spirits are given into a particular family while in this estate, or why... 

Not my teaching.  Pres. John Taylor and others taught it.   Personally I like it (and it explains why we'd need 1000 year millennium to put our families in the right order).

Not my teaching.  Pres. John Taylor and others taught it.   Personally I like it (and it explains why we'd need 1000 year millennium to put our families in the right order).

Thinking of my own situation... I was born to a biological mother and father, who later divorced because my bio dad couldn't stand responsibility and ran off and left my 29 year old mom to raise two little girls by herself... so much for my "family." 

We were extremely poor but my mom was wonderful... it wasn't until years later that I realized just how poor we were.  Finally, my mom, who had converted, meets this wonderful gentleman through friends and they marry... he eventually converts to the Church, and raises my sis and me with great kindness and love... so, a year after his baptism, we were kneeling in the Salt Lake temple being sealed as an eternal family.  He was steadfast and true all his life, taking care of my mom, raising us, and always there for me and my sis when we were grown.

So... I'm grateful that my "family" was not the one I was born into, but the one that I was blessed to be a part of... with a good man who lived and honored his priesthood until the day he died...

GG

Thinking of my own situation... I was born to a biological mother and father, who later divorced because my bio dad couldn't stand responsibility and ran off and left my 29 year old mom to raise two little girls by herself... so much for my "family." 

We were extremely poor but my mom was wonderful... it wasn't until years later that I realized just how poor we were.  Finally, my mom, who had converted, meets this wonderful gentleman through friends and they marry... he eventually converts to the Church, and raises my sis and me with great kindness and love... so, a year after his baptism, we were kneeling in the Salt Lake temple being sealed as an eternal family.  He was steadfast and true all his life, taking care of my mom, raising us, and always there for me and my sis when we were grown.

So... I'm grateful that my "family" was not the one I was born into, but the one that I was blessed to be a part of... with a good man who lived and honored his priesthood until the day he died...

GG

I think it was Elder McConkie who taught that for some people they were supposed to marry certain people but in the generality you could marry any number of people and I can't imagine anyone signing up for abusive relationships and abandonment etc.

Thinking of my own situation... I was born to a biological mother and father, who later divorced because my bio dad couldn't stand responsibility and ran off and left my 29 year old mom to raise two little girls by herself... so much for my "family."

We were extremely poor but my mom was wonderful... it wasn't until years later that I realized just how poor we were. Finally, my mom, who had converted, meets this wonderful gentleman through friends and they marry... he eventually converts to the Church, and raises my sis and me with great kindness and love... so, a year after his baptism, we were kneeling in the Salt Lake temple being sealed as an eternal family. He was steadfast and true all his life, taking care of my mom, raising us, and always there for me and my sis when we were grown.

So... I'm grateful that my "family" was not the one I was born into, but the one that I was blessed to be a part of... with a good man who lived and honored his priesthood until the day he died...

GG

No wonder you have such good feelings for the church, it seemed to make your lives so much better, after joining the church for all 4 of you.

I got here on a fluke.

I came up with a brilliant plan where I could claim all the glory and all would be saved but I wasn't much of an orator so I asked my friend Lucifer to present it for me. The git stood up and took all the credit for the plan and presented it as his own. Out of spite I joined the opposition.

I did table the little-known third plan which suggested that we let Adam and Eve partake of the Tree of Life after their fall so that all would live forever in their sins and not one shall be saved, no, not one. It died in subcommittee.

We lived much the same way that we do now- we had close friends, buildings and schools of learning. Many of us learned great things and also participated in creating the earth. Some of us were skilled in math, logic, physics, the arts, etc. A rebellion was started by Lucifer which he kept secret, or what he thought was secret for quite some time. God and Lucifer both had spies that watched each others doings. There were special agenst of sorts who worked for God but were inside of Liucifers secret circle so that his plans would get thwarted. There were those who didnt know which side to choose and it took them some time to decide while for others they chose right off then decided to switch sides at some point. Others remained either wicked the whole time or righteous the whole time. There were those in heaven who were judges in the sense like "lawyers" that fought their cause before the lawgivers (Gods) on both sides. God fought back and eventually overpowered Satan and had him and his secret society removed physically from heaven and the witnesses and special agenst documented Satans evil works before the judges or lawgivers so that their removal was justifiable by the courts of heaven. Life continued in heaven again with Gods numbered children learning things and preparing for maortality where the war would finally be won against Satan.

GG

I think that it is entirely possible for the people we covenanted with the premortal life to break those covenants here forcing us to go to another family.  Conversely, I also believe that there are those who covenanted with a family but for some reason were forced to go through another.

My point being, it is entirely possible that your "new" family could be the people you covenanted to be eternally sealed to in the premortal existence, almighty God might have sent you through your biological father's lineage for any one of a thousand reasons.

But I still believe that eternal families don't just start in this mortal existence and continue forever.  I believe they started when we started.