Seriously No Politics ×

Another Lds Question...

Okay, I am lost again. What is a ‘meetinghouse’? And does LDS do any church or community involvements beyond Sundays? ( sorry ) I looked at my local ward and tried to contact others, but haven't gotten anywhere. Well, lost agaiin, but that is me daily so...

What is a ‘meetinghouse’?

A meetinghouse is a chapel. Its where a certain number of wards (usually 2-4 I think in Utah) go to worship each Sunday. In my meetinghouse we have 2, because I live in Texas.

And does LDS do any church or community involvements beyond Sundays?

Yes, we do. On Wednesdays there is Mutual, which is like youth group for young men and young women. For Adults there are Temple Nights, which you can't attend til after you've been baptized for at least a year I think. Adults also usually have callings and have meetings with their councilors, presidents, etc, ward council. In Utah things might be a little different, but in Texas we don't get together very often otherwise. Most wards are just small sections of a neighborhood in Utah, so i'd imagine they have ward barbecues in their backyards basically sometimes, and other events.

LDS.org should have contacts, if your having trouble contacting the Bishop (he should be the one you try to contact first) then maybe try the Missionaries or the Stake president. You should be able to find at least one of those online.

Hope this helps! 

--- I love Bow ties

I believe there are quarterly activities for the various organizations besides YM & YW (Primary for children, RS for women, don't know if men have them by themselves or just have parties where they invite the wives as well) throughout the Church worldwide. There are cub scouts and achievement days for girls of the same age in the afternoons during the school year and either early morning or release time seminary each week day for high school students. Plus camps for youth during summer and every four years or so a "Pioneer Trek" for three days or so.

Community service is mixed into all of that, for example part of the all day Saturday event for RS is devoted to a couple of hours for a humanitarian project.

Our ward has started for women a mother's club during the day and just recently a scripture study at night each month. Young Adults and maybe older may get together in Family Home Evening Groups every Monday as well as other activities. There is also an Empty Nesters monthly meeting.

Wow, you have an active ward Calmoriah! 

We do have Seminary, Cub scouts, summer camps and pioneer treks, visiting teaching and home teaching. Forgot about those. I Didn't know about those other ones you mentioned though. I'm fascinated they exist now. I wonder what else goes on in Utah differently.

Thanks for correcting my comments :)

That doesn't even include the emergency prep classes the town puts on each month. Two months ago it was beekeeping and how to slaughter a pig...I know everything that goes on because I am the bulletin person. :). I forgot to mention they asked for literacy volunteers at our local library through the wards as well as the yearly clothing exchange that is held in the town hall.

That doesn't include the sports teams or dances or the Family History Center activities.

And we trade fruits and vegetables as well if anyone has leftovers...we had two days of a cherry tree full of kids sent down by their parents this year, great crop...still plenty leftover for the birds and the dog to sick up.

One can keep very busy in Utah if one wants to.

And of course Pioneer Day Parade this month (it is a stake calling in our town).

Edited by calmoriah

Hello Lostone...

Our ward here on the Oregon coast is very active in community affairs... we annually hold a community Red Cross blood drive in our cultural hall... we always meet our assigned quota of blood from ward and community members... Red Cross loves it when we host a drive because we're so organized and have so many volunteers to help out.

this year we held a RS activity where we invited in speakers from the local and state police to talk to the women/girls about self defense, including lots of handouts and resources info.

In April we sponsored an Emergency Preparedness Fair where the community services people each had a table set up and handed out literature not only on available social services, but on food storage, etc, held in our cultural hall.  We had several oral presentations also... 

We participate annually in a "Day of Service" where we work with city officials in Parks & Recreation for a specific project... the one I participated in last year was improving a state park walking/hiking trail (cutting back overgrowth, putting down new bark dust or gravel on the trail, building/repairing picnic tables, etc.)

Then we have the usual Young Men and Young Women youth activities, including scouts on Wed nights... and boys and girls camps.

We have the Singles Group that has ward and stake activities.

We have a ward "Empty Nesters" group that meets monthly at someone's home for a pot luck dinner and socializing... there's usually six to eight couples attend.

We have a ward Singles Family Home Evening on one Monday night a month... that meets at the Church in the cultural hall.

We have a Friday night dinner group that meet at a different restaurant once a month for dinner and socializing... this usually draws up to 25 - 30 people...  

We have the usual Holiday type activities... this month is a Pioneer Day celebration held out at a member's home with lots of grassy acreage for baseball, volleyball, fishing in the stream, and a big barbecue.  Pioneer clothing is encouraged.

We have things like a Valentine's day party/dance... Christmas party and dinner, including an appearance by Santa... Thanksgiving Day dinner held at the Church in the cultural hall (which I go to because being alone it's nice to join other ward members)... we had over 60 people this past Nov.,  the bishopric provides the turkey and the members bring all the side dishes, which we sign up for so we know who is bringing what...

We have a ward talent and art show (I always show some of my art work).

We used to have a Book Club that would meet once a month but that has sort of gone by the wayside for now.

My ward is my "ward family" and I can participate as much or as little as I want... I love my ward.

from the beach... GG

You could easily as a non-member join the choir, and volunteer to help with scouts (the BSA does a background check for that).  google meetinghouse locator and then put your address.  The congregation to which you are assigned will be shown, and you should be able to find the bishop's telephone number and times of the services.  

Each ward (congregation) is different in how and what they do.  Some have a standing day a month when they feed at the local shelter.  Others have discrete projects to help the domestic violence shelter.   There are lots of other variables.   And there is a new website to match those who want to serve in the community with things that need to be done, but I can't find it at the moment (and the last time I looked it was mostly CA opportunities.

Also you will belong to the Elder's Quorum, probably.   They often do service projects, and there are often things that need to be done for people that require willing hands.   You don't need to be a member to do this kind of service either. 

Here is a link to ways to serve within the church.  https://vineyard.lds.org/

Edited by rpn

Bowtie- many of those things happen outside of Utah- even in Texas and some in Utah have fewer activities. It just depends on what the specific ward and stake wants.

How many wards are in a building also depends on the area. I went to one meetinghouse in California where there were 6 wards. Land was at a premium in that area and was expensive.

When we were renovating our ward building, our stake building had five or six wards/branches in it (they had three already plus our 2 and the singles branch which was quite large because it was attached to the university our chapel was parked next to).  That was such a pain, lasted a year…may have gone to a two hour meeting, can't quite remember.

When we were renovating our ward building, our stake building had five or six wards/branches in it (they had three already plus our 2 and the singles branch which was quite large because it was attached to the university our chapel was parked next to).  That was such a pain, lasted a year…may have gone to a two hour meeting, can't quite remember.

Whenever we have to do renovations (not often thankfully), the Seventh Day Adventists let us use their lovely chapel, which of course sits empty on Sundays.

GG

There was a Kellogg street in Wichita, Kansas. Learnt all about him while living there.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Harvey_Kellogg

Actually I think it was his brother...now I am confused and need to do some googling...

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Will_Keith_Kellogg

Too funny..,the teacher who taught me about Kellogg Drive was wrong, it was named after Milo Kellogg, a postmaster.

Edited by calmoriah

You know they invented cereal right? They have a dietary code like our WoW kind of. No meats. Anyways, we invented Decaffinated beverages, and they did cereal. Perfect partnership! :D

When my husband and I were first  married, we had lovely little apartment in Loma Linda, CA (an Adventist town, with their beautiful medical center and hospital).  There was this little market I went to and instead of a meat counter, they had these glass bins of all types of nuts and seeds... beautiful and delicious!! I used to go in and buy all these wonderful pecans, pastacios(sp). almonds, etc etc.

But even though they do not eat meat, it never ceased to amaze me the lengths they went to to make meat substitutes... "Tastes just like chicken!!"  etc... veggie burgers...

When my husband and I would barbecue, we'd have  every dog in the neighborhood in our backyaard.

GG

Edited by Garden Girl
  • 1 month later...

Lostone, hope you don't mind me hijacking your thread for a minute. I'm unable to start my own threads.

Just need to ask if anyone has heard of a new or old not sure, missionary class that lasts for several weeks and has only 5 couples in it during the Sunday School hour. My husband and I have been asked if we want to start going to it in September.

Of course that would mean I couldn't help a young man that has special needs or my husband couldn't teach in Primary. So I really wonder why we've been asked to do this.

Okay, I am lost again. What is a ‘meetinghouse’? And does LDS do any church or community involvements beyond Sundays? ( sorry ) I looked at my local ward and tried to contact others, but haven't gotten anywhere. Well, lost agaiin, but that is me daily so...

It depends, it all depends. In my Ward in Portland, Oregon, we do everything on Sunday, um mostly. You can go meet the Bish on Wednesday, and the young women meet then too.

Still there are Wards who split it all up into three weekly meetings. A Missionary from the UK told me his was that way. One I attended while I was in town on business in Indianapolis did it in three weekly meetings. So, the best way to find out is to go to the church when it is open on Sunday. You can get a lot of information about this on LDS.org.  Otherwise, it depends. :)

What is a ‘meetinghouse’?

A meetinghouse is a chapel. Its where a certain number of wards (usually 2-4 I think in Utah) go to worship each Sunday. In my meetinghouse we have 2, because I live in Texas.

While we frequently refer to the meetinghouse as a chapel, in fact the term meetinghouse belongs to the building in which meetings of all sorts are held, and within the meetinghouse there is one large room which is called "the chapel". It is where Sacrament Meeting is held. A meetinghouse may consist of a 5,000 sqft building, or it may be a one or two bedroom apartment fixed up for church meetings. My own ward was founded in 1938 (as a branch), and at the time it met in the storage room of a local convenience store. I don't think they used the term "meetinghouse" at that time!

A meetinghouse may serve as the place of meeting for one to four congregations (each may be called "ward" or "branch"). A ward is a congregation presided over by a bishop, and generally features the full range of church activities. A branch consists of a smaller number of members, and is presided over by a man called to be a "presiding elder" or "branch president". Depending upon size of the congregation and the maturity of its members in the Church, the branch may feature a subset of Church activities. A small branch might consist of a very small number of members, such as 10.