Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Daniel2

Religious Organizations Opposing Ssm Ban Increase

Do you need every sin spelled out in black and white?

Nope.  But I am curious as to where masturbation is defined as a sin.  I thought it was a fair question since you are saying that homosexuality and masturbation are the same sin.

In order to keep this thread open and on track, please limit the scope of the discussion to the topic of how religions, generally, and the LDS church, specifically, are reacting to growing acceptance of same-sex marriage. Tangents that come up would be better served by opening other threads... thanks!

In order to keep this thread open and on track, please limit the scope of the discussion to the topic of how religions, generally, and the LDS church, specifically, are reacting to growing acceptance of same-sex marriage. Tangents that come up would be better served by opening other threads... thanks!

Sorry, Daniel.  I'll drop the sub-thread.  The comparison made between masturbation & homosexuality was something I had not seen before and caught my attention.  Rodheadlee provided a source which is what I was curious about:  President Kimball, 1980.  If there is another source that anyone cares to cite you can send me a PM.  One of the reasons I ask is that masturbation (and veiled references) seem to have been removed from all recent church publications.

Just wanted to explain my thought behind it.  With that I will no longer respond to that topic on this thread.  If someone cares to continue, please send a PM or open a thread.  Thanks.

God will never sanctify homosexual activity, no matter how many people approve of it. It's the same sin as masturbation, wasting the sacred seed of life. It will always take one part male and one part female to create a life.  SSM ends all possibility of creating life, there can be no increase.

Agreed. But the reason has nothing to do with self abuse.

A win for religious liberty:

BREAKING: Western District judge overturns anti-LGBT amendment in North Carolina

http://goqnotes.com/31895/breaking-in-related-case-western-district-judge-overturns-anti-lgbt-amendment-in-north-carolina/

Published: October 10, 2014 in News, Special Coverage: Marriage in N.C.

Updated: October 10, 2014 at 5:40 pm

THIS IS A DEVELOPING STORY. STAY TUNED FOR UPDATES.

Follow our special coverage updates and see an archive of recent stories…

A federal judge in North Carolina’s Western District has issued an order permanently prohibiting defendants in a United Church of Christ lawsuit against North Carolina’s anti-LGBT amendment from enforcing the ban. Additionally, the judge denied Republican state leaders’ motion to intervene in the case.

U.S. District Court Judge Max O. Cogburn, Jr., issued his two orders shortly after 5 p.m.

“Defendants are PERMANENTLY ENJOINED from enforcing such laws to the extent these laws prohibit a person from marrying another person of the same gender, prohibit recognition of same-sex marriages lawfully solemnized in other States, Territories, or a District of the United States, or seek to punish in any way clergy or other officiants who solemnize the union of same-sex couples,” Cogburn wrote.

It appears Cogburn’s order applies only to those defendants named in the case — including registers of deeds in Mecklenburg and Buncombe counties.

In denying the GOP’s intervention request, Cogburn also rejected state House Speaker Thom Tillis’ and President Pro Tempore Phil Berger’s arguments that the state’s interests had failed to be properly represented by North Carolina Attorney General Roy Cooper.

“Based on a full consideration of all the factors, the court finds that the proposed intervenors’ interests are, have been, and continue to be adequately represented by the North Carolina Attorney General,” Cogburn wrote.

The GOP had argued Cooper failed to represent the state after he announced in July he’d stop defending the anti-LGBT amendment. Cooper made his announcement after the Fourth U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals overturned Virginia’s similar anti-gay ban. On Monday, the U.S. Supreme Court declined to hear the Virginia case along with several others, thereby paving the way for legal same-sex marriage in North Carolina.

A win for religious liberty:

And the great and spacious building just got larger.

Interesting thoughts.

Do you think there's a "major structural doctrinal issue" that "needs overcome" before the church could accept ssm?

If so, what would it be

One could then argue that there is no heavenly mother.  God the Father is married to another exalted man.  SSM acceptance by the Church would lead to another split in the LDS church like when Joseph Smith died.  I know what faction that I would be going with.  I can't see any other member of my immediate family or extended family going with the side that would accept SSM.

Earlier, this thread discussed that two genders are a biological necessity for reproduction.

I previously offered evidence that medical science is on the verge of helping infertile couples reproduce--even same-sex couples. I offered evidence that medical science has advanced far enough to create gametes of both sexes (a sperm and egg) from the stem cells of a single mouse, resulting in offspring.

Medical science has now produced the same results in humans:

Scientists create artificial human eggs and sperm

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/scientists-create-artificial-human-eggs-and-sperm/

JESSICA FIRGER

CBS NEWS

Dec 26, 2014 1:45 PM EST

A group of scientists has created artificial human sperm and eggs using human embryonic stem cells and skin cells. While researchers have already previously accomplished this using rodents, this is the first time they were able to replicate the process with human cells.

Their final products were not actually working sperm and eggs, but rather germ cells that potentially could mature and become viable for fertility. The study's findings were published Wednesday in the journal Cell.

"Germ cells are 'immortal' in the sense that they provide an enduring link between all generations, carrying genetic information from one generation to the next," Azim Surani, PhD, professor of physiology and reproduction at the University of Cambridge, said in a press release.

When an egg is fertilized by a sperm, it begins to divide into a group of cells called a blastocyst, which is the stage right before the embryo is formed. Some of the cells inside this blastocyst cluster will develop into a fetus, while others eventually become the placenta.

Some cells are set up to become stem cells, which will then have the potential to develop into any type of cell in the body. And some cells in the fetus become primordial germ cells and eventually evolve into the cells of either sperm or eggs, which will allow this offspring to pass their genes on to a future generation.

In the study, the researchers identified a single gene known as SOX17, which is directly responsible for ordering human stem cells to become the cells that will turn into sperm and eggs. The scientists say this discovery on its own is surprising, because this gene is not involved in the creation of primordial cells in rodents. In humans, the SOX17 gene is also involved in helping to develop cells of the lungs, gut and pancreas.

The scientists harvested these cells by culturing human embryonic stem cells for five days. They then showed that the same process could be replicated using adult skin cells.

This doesn't mean men and women will soon be donating skin cells rather than sperm and egg at fertility clinics. Eventually, however, the findings could open the door to more intensive research on human genetics and certain cancers, and could impact fertility treatments sometime in the future.

This study also provides another way to closely examine how the environment impacts and changes genes, and why we inherit very specific gene expressions -- a phenomenon that's the basis for a growing field of research known as epigentics. Factors such as the air we breathe, the food we eat and whether or not we smoke can activate and deactivate genes, all of which become a part of a person's DNA passed down to their offspring.

Many experts say that studying epigenetics may lead to a clearer understanding of age-related diseases such as cancer, since the changes lie not in the DNA itself, but rather the surrounding chemicals that make proteins and even facilitate new cell growth, including the cells that make up sperm and eggs.

Interesting timing, this Christmas season.... the Virgin birth doesn't seem so implausible... ;-)

For better and worse, we are entering a Brave New World...