Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JAHS

Ordain Women Responds To The First Presidency Statement

That is just wrong on so many levels, including the Church whose rules it is violating by selling them doesn't charge units or individuals who they give it too.

I agree with your ethical position. Thinking back on it, perhaps I should have purchased them all just to get them off the shelves. It would be worth the money.

It means alot that you feel that way.

I almost asked you to do it for me if it wasn't inconvenient next time you go in, but it is not as if it can't be found online...and unless the Church stepped in and threatened legal action, selling all their inventory would just encourage them to buy more if they get the chance. Otoh if it sits there taking up space long enough, they won't buy them again.

It means alot that you feel that way.

I almost asked you to do it for me if it wasn't inconvenient next time you go in, but it is not as if it can't be found online...and unless the Church stepped in and threatened legal action, selling all their inventory would just encourage them to buy more if they get the chance. Otoh if it sits there taking up space long enough, they won't buy them again.

I have to go to Mesa this weekend for a friend's wedding reception. I'll check the bookstore and see if there are any left on the shelves. If there are, then I'll hand them over to a bishop or stake president. The Concerned Christians group is in Mesa and the last thing I want them to have are those physical copies.

Thank you very much. Hopefully they won't be able to get a hold of additional copies.

Probably the three general presidencies, but I would like to know why they think that (is there some reason the general female presidencies would need it where stake and ward female presidents don't?)

The only male leaders who are issued Handbook 1 is the bishopric.

Not Elder's quorum presidents, not HP group leaders, not YM presidents, nor anyone else who attends PEC or ward council.

There is also a file copy for use by the branch or ward clerk as well as the stake clerk for financial reasons and for supporting the stake presidency or bishopric. Temple and mission presidencies also receive copies.

"We pray that they will continue to respond directly to the needs and desires of Church members and take their concerns and questions to God."

Sigh....

What on earth makes them think this has not happened? Other than "women don't have the priesthood yet".

The Concerned Christians group is in Mesa and the last thing I want them to have are those physical copies.

I've recently heard of them. One of our new members used to be a member of that group.

I've recently heard of them. One of our new members used to be a member of that group.

Hmmm, Rain... maybe that "new member" is a plant... :o

GG

It is not unusual for antimormons to become converts because they start looking closer at our claims.

But maybe you were just making a joke andi am too serious today.

I have to go to Mesa this weekend for a friend's wedding reception. I'll check the bookstore and see if there are any left on the shelves. If there are, then I'll hand them over to a bishop or stake president. The Concerned Christians group is in Mesa and the last thing I want them to have are those physical copies.

Give my regards to Bob Betts, a white-haired gentleman at CC.

It is not unusual for antimormons to become converts because they start looking closer at our claims.

But maybe you were just making a joke andi am too serious today.

It was a joke, Cal... see my emoticon...

GG

Thank you very much. Hopefully they won't be able to get a hold of additional copies.

Why should we fear anyone getting a copy?

Hmmm, Rain... maybe that "new member" is a plant... :o

GG

lol no. She is very vocal about them preaching wrong things about us. She is unique and I love her for it. Used to be a heroin addict and changed her life around.

Was there any fear indicated in my posts? If not, then I guess there is no real reason for me to answer this question so I won't.

It was a joke, Cal... see my emoticon...

GG

It just didn't seem like you so I should have been stronger in my feelings about it being a joke...company coming..difficult company...on edge.

It just didn't seem like you so I should have been stronger in my feelings about it being a joke...company coming..difficult company...on edge.

Hope you enjoyed your company, Cal... we had the most beautiful day here on the coast.  Town was packed... people come from all over to see our real slice of Americana with our funcky little hometown parade in Gleneden Beach (several thousand people line the GB Loop Rd. which parallels the highway) ... Started with a pancake breakfast, followed by several other activities, then the parade, and culminating with a terrific fireworks show on the Bay.  The nice thing is that I can sit at my kitchen table looking out toward the Bay and watch the fireworks.  

On the evening of 7/3 we had one of the most spectacular sunsets I had ever seen... the whole sky was the most beautiful oranges, yellows, pinks... darkening to reds and purples as the sun set below the horizon.  I thought of all the people in their motel rooms with views toward the Bay and ocean, witnessing such a display of color across the sky.  It was awesome, really.

GG

There is certainly nothing salacious. Any member can read the handbook, it just can't leave the clerks office.

It's mainly, I guess because there is counsel for leaders on how to handle sensitive matters. When it comes to critics of the church, no excuse is too small.

There is certainly nothing salacious. Any member can read the handbook, it just can't leave the clerks office.

It's mainly, I guess because there is counsel for leaders on how to handle sensitive matters. When it comes to critics of the church, no excuse is too small.

If you look, you can find the previous edition of Handbook 1 on the web.  How it got there is academic, but it is almost identical to the current version, with some changes due to policy changes.  So it isn't as secret as all that.  You might even be able to find the current version out there. 

I was just perusing a web page that uses Handbook 1 to bash the Church, so it is clearly pointless to treat the Handbook as if it were some kind of secure document.  It isn't, not at all.  And the fact that its very limited circulation is being used by the Church's enemies as a cudgel against it, it seems very pointless to maintain the limitedness of its circulation.  It's out there.  It's a done deal.  Might as well make it as public as Handbook 2.

If you look, you can find the previous edition of Handbook 1 on the web. How it got there is academic, but it is almost identical to the current version, with some changes due to policy changes. So it isn't as secret as all that. You might even be able to find the current version out there.

I was just perusing a web page that uses Handbook 1 to bash the Church, so it is clearly pointless to treat the Handbook as if it were some kind of secure document. It isn't, not at all. And the fact that its very limited circulation is being used by the Church's enemies as a cudgel against it, it seems very pointless to maintain the limitedness of its circulation. It's out there. It's a done deal. Might as well make it as public as Handbook 2.

I guess the enemies tactics come in handy once in awhile. ;)

I guess the enemies tactics come in handy once in awhile. ;)

I would not be surprised if they are testing it. I can see most of it being online no problem, a few things not so good.

There were 3 copies on the shelf alongside a book of "revelations" by leaders of the FLDS. I bought that too. It could be a fun read. All together I spent $15. the "revelations" book was most expensive. The copies of the CHI are with the area stake president where I live. The bishop I would have gone to was out of town.

Celestial brownie points for you. :)

Celestial brownie points for you. :)

If you get to the pearly gates before me, put in a good word for me to be a Heavenly Hitman like the angels that destroyed Sodom. I want that fiery sword.

You have got it...given my age in comparison to you there is a good chance I will be able to fulfill that request...