Sign in to follow this  
blooit

Dear Evangelical Friends: Can A Mormon Be A Christian?

This site forbids talking temple content. Can't really discuss the topic much. Know enough about it to reject it as non-Biblical.

I'm wondering if you're aware of the fact that twice in the New Testament Paul told the saints he desired to teach them the deeper doctrinal "meat" of the gospel (the mysteries of godliness), but that he was unable to do so because the members of his day were yet carnal and too spiritually immature to be able to teach them anything other than the easier to digest basic teachings (milk) of the gospel. Since Paul was never able to openly teach the saints those meatier, harder to digest principles of the gospel, and since you don't even know what those deeper teachings are, saying that something isn't in the Bible doesn't automatically mean a doctrine you don't believe isn't true; and until you do know what those deeper and meatier teachings of the gospel are, you're in no position to say what is and what isn't gospel truth. Bottom line? by it's own word, the Bible doesn't contain all gospel truth.

Paul indicated that if the spiritually immature were to ever ingest some of the meatier teachings of the gospel before they were fully prepared and ready to receive them, the reaction would be gagging, choking and condemnations of those deeper teachings as evil. And that's exactly what you're doing now, gagging, chocking and condemning as evil the deeper teachings of the gospel that have been revealed in these latter-days to the Latter-day Saints.

Edited by Bobbieaware

No, I'm not. I doing what Paul says, test all things. Hold fast to that which is good.

No, I'm not. I doing what Paul says, test all things. Hold fast to that which is good.

But if someone is yet too spiritually immature to be able to receive and digest the meatier doctrines of the gospel, that person is unprepared to know one way or another if an extra-Biblical gospel doctrine is true, unless God enlightens that individual by revelation. If a true gospel teaching is not found in the Bible, because it's part of that canon of extra-biblical doctrinal meat, then the Bible can't be used to "test" if the doctrine is true because it isn't found in the Bible in the first place.

In Hebrews, the New Testament church was warned that one of the main reasons why the meat of the gospel wasn't then being openly taught is because those who are worthy to receive the meat of the gospel must first have spiritual wisdom that's mature enough to be able to properly discern between good and evil. This can mean only one thing: those members of the church who don't have sufficient spiritual wisdom are likely to esteem the meatier doctrines of gospel to be evil. Revelation beyond what's recorded in Bible is the only way one can know if an extra-Biblical teaching of the gospel is true or false.

Edited by Bobbieaware

3223 posts...  are we saved yet?

I agreed and given the dead horse has been beaten to a pulp will put a humanitarian end to it.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By hagoth7
      Over the last several weeks, have been chipping away slowly at a sci-fi series called the Expanse.  When it is on, it's usually playing in the background while I'm reading or writing. 
      Recently had Season 1 Episode 8 playing in the background...was focusing on reading until I heard the word Mormon, and there on a spaceship in the future, is a lone Mormon missionary with a Book of Mormon. Season 2 Episode 4 supposedly has the launch of the Nauvoo, the largest thing in that fictional world ever created by man, built by/for Mormons.
      Anyone here familiar with any of the creators of the series?
    • By Sky
      I just read this and wondered if anybody had seen it:
      http://www.patheos.com/blogs/justandsinner/problems-with-mormonism-the-doctrine-of-god/
      The author may have gotten some things right, but unfortunately I'm also afraid that he is perpetuating some old misconceptions and divisions...  Mainly, that Mormonism is not compatible with Christianity, the claim that Mormonism is a polytheistic faith, and the concept of a "grandfather God."
      Yes, I'm aware that Lorenzo Snow once said "As man is, God once was; as God is, man may become."  I'm also aware of Joseph Smith's "King Follet discourse."  
      Even so, in all of my life as a Mormon, I've never been taught or pictured myself someday being equal with Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ.  I'm leery of a Lutheran pastor telling me what my Church's doctrine is, or what I believe.         

• By elizab.rc
      This is my journey, my story, my path. I believe that if anywhere were a safe place to confide, this would be it.

In 2008, I made a brave decision to leave a mentally and emotionally abusive marriage. My dad bought me a train ticket and I had a close friend of mine drive me to stay in a bus stop for the night until the next morning when my train would leave. He wound up refusing to leave me there and bought me a hotel room and stayed in one adjacent to mine.
      Three days later, I was in a new place. Somewhere cold and somewhere I had never dreamt of living. My dad took me on as his assistant and I took phone calls for all of his real estate clients. He paid me, but letting me live there was honestly payment enough. Although, having a few extra bucks made me feel somewhat independent.
      I was 19, young and naïve and ready to start fresh. I'm not going to lie. I was depressed and wanted no social life for nearly 6 months. Then, one day while my dad and his family were out and about, there was a knock on the door. An annoying knock that forced me out of bed and when I opened the door I was a mess. And the young gentlemen that gazed upon me could tell I was in need of saving. I had been crying, I hadn't showered in days and honestly, wanted nothing to do with them. But, the southern hospitality in me let them in and offered them a glass of lemonade.
      My dad wound up giving me a car and that Sunday I was at a new church with new people and I was way under dressed. Despite the way I looked, everyone welcomed me in. The missionaries I met were there and they introduced me to Bishop Pippo and the two gentlemen that would guide me spiritually and unknowingly change my life.
      After my baptism and Confirmation, I enlisted into the united states military and in 2013 I married my high school sweetheart and best friend of almost 10 years. I have known him since 2005. His brother and I have been friends since 2002.
      So, while this is my path to God, I guess it is only fair to admit that from June 1, 2011 until now I was distant from the church. I got into another bad relationship for a few months and let myself down the wrong path for a while. Now, with my life finally going well, I want to continue moving in a positive direction. Because that is the word I use to describe my life now, positive. And I honestly feel that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is the place I need to be. The place I always needed to be. Everyone is always asking for a sign, a knock on the door and I literally got mine. Granted, yes I followed, I also took a wrong exit and headed down the same road that I needed to escape from.

My dear and beloved Father in Heaven,
      I ask that you guide me in a positive direction of your seeing.
      I ask that all I do and all I am reflects you.
      I ask that the burdens of my past be lifted.
      I thank you for all the blessings in my life.
      I am so unbelievably grateful for everything you are. Everything you have ever been.
      My dear and beloved Father in Heaven,
      your forgiveness has washed over me lord and I truly believe that spirit within me will guide me towards you.
      In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen
    • By Coreyb
      When someone tells me "you Mormons aren't real Christians" I tend to respond with something like "who cares, why would I want to be?" This may seem blasphemous to some, but this is truly how I feel. Now don't take this as me admitting that Jesus isn't all that important to me, because that is not what I am saying. I believe in Jesus, and His religion, I just don't like what has been done/ is being done with the popular name of that religion, particularly by certain large and loud segments of American Christianity. Yes I admit to a location bias, but this is where I live.
      I have lived in numerous places across the western and Midwestern United States and my experience is that many of my correligionists (Mormons) seemingly want nothing quite so much as to be accepted as a part of the evangelical Christian community. This seems to go deeper than just wanting to be friends with neighbors. It's like we have this need for validation, that only evangelicals can give.
      Perhaps this is just us teaming up to fight our "common enemy", the godless "secular humanists". Perhaps we just really admire our evangelical neighbors and seek to emulate them. Either way, I feel that our adoption of American Christian culture, which I believe has been occurring slowly but steadily over the last century, is robbing us of our mormon-ness, and perhaps more importantly is forcing us to wrestle with their problems because they are becoming ours. Most damaging however IMO is that it puts us in the same camp as them to the rest of Americans, you know, the ever growing secular humanists, plus all the other religions out there. We become just part of the "Christian Right", but an even weirder version of it. I dunno, maybe I am just sick if my mormon friends bombarding me in every situation with all the videos, memes, slogans, music, movies, shows, books, politicians, role models, arguments and causes borrowed from evangelicals, whether they really reflect mormon thought or not.
      So if I made any sense, what do y'all think of this?
    • By KevinG
      Taking a step back from the specific conflicts of gay marriage, gay and atheist scouts, and related topics...  

The broader issue of Church and State looms large in these discussions.  This board being primarily USA and Canadian Saints have lots of assumptions regarding the role of the state when it comes to religious liberty.  The Latter-Day Saints are particularly sensitive in our organizational memory of times when the state stepped in and denied the free exercise of our religion.

I'd like to start a discussion on the broader concept of:

When and where it is appropriate (healthy, moral, right, or other synonyms) for the state to step in and regulate, limit, or require a religious institution to abide by laws that may be contrary to it's own doctrines and practices?  

Are these government interventions ever right?  

Do they apply equally to religions that reflect a majority population than they do to minority religions or traditionally marginalized groups?  

When two minority groups (LDS, LGBT advocates) are in conflict over their rights of free association, who arbitrates or mediates their differences?

Where is the balance between anarchy and tyranny, that still respects individual rights?

If we can step back from our own pet organizations or causes- this broader discussion might shed light on the proper relationship between community standards, individual rights, and the rights of faith based organizations.