Sign in to follow this  
blooit

Dear Evangelical Friends: Can A Mormon Be A Christian?

I am not asking if Mormons are Christians.  I know that's  been debated ad nauseam.  I am asking if it is possible for ANY mormon to be a Christian.

If I accept Christ as my savior, can I be a Christian?  If I accept the Christ of the Bible as my Savior.  If I have a personal relationship with him, know that I am a sinner, and know that it is by his grace that I am saved.

I am very familiar with the standard arguments against this concept.  That I worship a different Jesus.  That to be Mormon I must believe in being saved by works and therefore can't receive God's grace.  What I am getting at is, is it possible for any one Mormon to be a Christian in your eyes (and presumably in the eyes of God) while still remaining a Mormon.  What would have to happen in order for this to be the case?

(btw - I am not baiting anyone here.  I am attending a Christian university and have been absolutely blown away by how well my Christian friends treat their Mormon classmates.  This really got me thinking about this.)

Edited by blooit

They will say you have accepted another/different Jesus/Gospel - Gal 1: 6-9 .

In His Debt/Grace

Anakin7

In my experience, some people tend to believe that Mormons are not Christians because of what they have been taught about them.  Then, they actually become friends with a Mormon, or learn about Mormon teachings from a Mormon perspective and they amend their previous belief to something like "No, Mormons aren't Christians, but i'm going to make an exception for you because you obviously are..."

They will say you have accepted another/different Jesus/Gospel - Gal 1: 6-9 .

In His Debt/Grace

Anakin7

That's kind of what I am getting at.  As a Mormon, what must I do to be a Christian?

That's kind of what I am getting at.  As a Mormon, what must I do to be a Christian?

Reject Joseph Smith as a deluded Satan spawn.

Accept that Christ is the very eternal God instead of our elder spirit brother who progressed to become God.  That's really the bottom line for them.

They hate the idea that Satan and Christ could be brothers or that there was a time before Christ was God.

Reject Joseph Smith as a deluded Satan spawn.

But, but, but that's not biblical.  John 3:16 is this not the verse the evangelical always uses? Is it not the verse I see at sporting events etc?

According to that verse it is anyone or specifically it says "whoever" I believe "Mormons" and anyone else (non-Christian as well) fall into that category.

I am not asking if Mormons are Christians.  I know that's  been debated ad nauseam.  I am asking if it is possible for ANY mormon to be a Christian.

If I accept Christ as my savior, can I be a Christian?  If I accept the Christ of the Bible as my Savior.  If I have a personal relationship with him, know that I am a sinner, and know that it is by his grace that I am saved.

I am very familiar with the standard arguments against this concept.  That I worship a different Jesus.  That to be Mormon I must believe in being saved by works and therefore can't receive God's grace.  What I am getting at is, is it possible for any one Mormon to be a Christian in your eyes (and presumably in the eyes of God) while still remaining a Mormon.  What would have to happen in order for this to be the case?

(btw - I am not baiting anyone here.  I am attending a Christian university and have been absolutely blown away by how well my Christian friends treat their Mormon classmates.  This really got me thinking about this.)

Of course the answer is yes. Anyone, anywhere can connect directly with Christ himself, and be transformed by the Spirit. 

With respect to the belief system (call it mormonism/LDS/what have you), the bottom line is who do you trust? 

Do you trust the LDS church and it's leaders? Or do you trust in Christ alone? 

Do you trust the covenants and the following of the ordinances? Or do you trust in Christ alone? 

Christianity at it's very core isn't religion, but relationship with the one and only true living God. 

Of course the answer is yes. Anyone, anywhere can connect directly with Christ himself, and be transformed by the Spirit. 

With respect to the belief system (call it mormonism/LDS/what have you), the bottom line is who do you trust? 

Do you trust the covenants and the following of the ordinances? Or do you trust in Christ alone? 

Christianity at it's very core isn't religion, but relationship with the one and only true living God. 

Yes, but then many don't actually believe it, becoming ironically "legalistic" as they like to criticize Mormons being legalistic, they actually go all legalistic claiming because we don't accept some of their interpretations, or their interpretations of our beliefs, we aren't actually Christian, even if we have a deep abiding relationship with Christ, even above the Church.  We only consider the church the earthly representatives of Christ, not surplanting Christ.

So, they say it, but they don't believe it when it concerns others "relationship" with Christ.  (I'm of course speaking of the anti's, not the general good tolerant Christian that recognizes the holy spirit in all men, no matter faith).

This is a very clear answer, and in my opinion, logically consistent.  I think the arguments of "you worship a different Christ" or "you believe the Bible is not infallible" are not.  They both place additional requirements on salvation.  Your explanation, though, is pretty cut and dried.

Yes, but then many don't actually believe it, becoming ironically "legalistic" as they like to criticize Mormons being legalistic, they actually go all legalistic claiming because we don't accept some of their interpretations, or their interpretations of our beliefs, we aren't actually Christian, even if we have a deep abiding relationship with Christ, even above the Church.  We only consider the church the earthly representatives of Christ, not surplanting Christ.

So, they say it, but they don't believe it when it concerns others "relationship" with Christ.  (I'm of course speaking of the anti's, not the general good tolerant Christian that recognizes the holy spirit in all men, no matter faith).

I honestly think that determining who is "Christian" or not is very difficult, if not impossible, which leads me to conclude that it's not my job (or anyone's for that matter). 

It seems to me that God looks at the heart, and error is like a cloud that can get in the way and obscure the truth, but if a person has enough truth to find that connection/relationship with God, then they are "In Christ." There are a great many people who attend what I think is a doctrinally correct group or church, yet are not actively connected to God. Meaning they really aren't Christian, anymore than a person is a car simply because they are located in a garage. 

This is a very clear answer, and in my opinion, logically consistent.  I think the arguments of "you worship a different Christ" or "you believe the Bible is not infallible" are not.  They both place additional requirements on salvation.  Your explanation, though, is pretty cut and dried.

Thank you. 

Paul answers the Philippian jailers' question, "what must I do to be saved?" His answer: "believe in the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved". The answer is the same for everyone but the Mormon issue as raised in this thread has a different set of propositions made by Joseph Smith which ends up with another Gospel than the one preached by Paul.

Paul warns about the preaching of another Gospel, hence the Evangelical response to what Mormonism teaches.

Edited by coolrok7

Mormons are not nor ever will be nor want to be directly associated with Christians. However, Mormons must be classified as christian (little c), because of their beliefs in and worship of Jesus Christ and His atonement.

One is either a Christian or not. No such thing as a "little c" Christian. "Mormon" is not "Christian" as it didn't exist in the first century when the doctrines were established. Christian doctrine not Mormon doctrine is the determining factor when it comes to doctrine believed and whether or not it is valid teaching.

This because certain terms used are redefined which makes the doctrine different enough to not be considered Christian. Although I am not an individuals judge, Biblical teaching is the determining factor as to whether or not specific teaching lines up.

Thank you for your answer!! I don't think the point of this thread is to debate on whether or not we can be, so I'll refrain from any comment to the contrary. Your answer if very clear and concise.

Thank you for your answer!! I don't think the point of this thread is to debate on whether or not we can be, so I'll refrain from any comment to the contrary. Your answer if very clear and concise.

Thank you!

Does this mean that you can't trust anyone or anything other than (the Modern, American, Protestant, Evangelical interpretation of) Christ?

You seem to be attempting to set up a false dichotomy, but failed.

See above. 

You seem to be attempting to say that no one can be trusted but Jesus, and yet you BLINDLY trust YOUR OWN (or that given to you by a Modern, American, Protestant, Evangelical preacher) understanding of the New Testament.

But we have been over this before.

Paul answers the Philippian jailers' question, "what must I do to be saved?" His answer: "believe in the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved".

Can you believe IN the Lord Jesus Christ without obeying him and his teachings?

The answer is the same for everyone but the Mormon issue as raised in this thread has a different set of propositions made by Joseph Smith which ends up with another Gospel than the one preached by Paul.

Ah, Yes, and the one taught by Paul, as interpreted by you, ends up being another Gospel than the one preached by Jesus.

Paul warns about the preaching of another Gospel, hence the Evangelical response to what Mormonism teaches.

Yup!

And they (the Evangelicals) are wrong about that too.

One is either a Christian or not. No such thing as a "little c" Christian. "Mormon" is not "Christian" as it didn't exist in the first century when the doctrines were established. Christian doctrine not Mormon doctrine is the determining factor when it comes to doctrine believed and whether or not it is valid teaching.

This because certain terms used are redefined which makes the doctrine different enough to not be considered Christian. Although I am not an individuals judge, Biblical teaching is the determining factor as to whether or not specific teaching lines up.

This could be rewritten as this,

One is either a Christian or not. No such thing as a "little c" Christian. "Evangelical" is not "Christian" as it didn't exist in the first century when the doctrines were established. Christian doctrine not Evangelical doctrine is the determining factor when it comes to doctrine believed and whether or not it is valid teaching.

This because certain terms used are redefined which makes the doctrine different enough to not be considered Christian. Although I am not an individuals judge, revelation from God is the determining factor as to whether or not specific teaching lines up.

Blown away because they do treat them well, or they don't treat them well?  That is encouraging if they do treat them well.

(btw - I am not baiting anyone here. . . . )

I don't know how you could NOT be baiting them here.

Any objective definition of what it is to be a "Christian" either MUST include Mormons or it MUST exclude other groups of Christians.

It is always humorous to watch the contortions of those attempting to excluded Mormons from being Christians.

Blown away because they do treat them well, or they don't treat them well?  That is encouraging if they do treat them well.

Today, one of my Christian professors commented on how unfair many christians treat mormons. He said that it is not our place to judge them, and that their "level of christianity" is between them and God.

They have treated LDS people very well.

Hi blooit!

I am asking if it is possible for ANY mormon to be a Christian.

Without question, the answer is an absolute yes!

Over the years, I have had the great pleasure of engaging many LDS Christian Brothers and Sisters!

I don't consider people Christian because of what church building they enter on Sunday, I consider them Christian by the way they treat their fellow human beings.

The question of the thread, "Can a Mormon Be a Christian?" addressed to "Evangelical" Friends is what I was addressing Vance. The term "evangelical" (for a Christian not a Mormon) is derived from the Greek term for "Gospel" which means "Good News".

An Evangelical identifies with the preaching/telling of that Good News (1 Corinthians 15:1-4) concerning the Jesus Christ of Biblical Revelation, not Mormon so-called "Scripture", a big distinction to be made in answering the question of the thread. 

You can attempt to change the words around but it doesn't change what I said that is biblically accurate in what I stated.

The point being made is that a Mormon doesn't believe what a Biblical Christian does, no matter how strenuously they object (in my perspective). God is the ultimate Judge of what being a Christian is, already addressed in the Bible and its not a Mormon, Christian Scientist, Jehovah's Witness, Moonie. . .etc., etc. as far as the doctrine goes.

What Anakin7 stated earlier concerning Galatians 1:9 is only a part of th objection in Mormons being able to be considered Christian in their doctrine. In part, along with the "another Gospel" also the "another Jesus" (also spirit/gospel) of 2 Corinthians 11 addressed by Paul.

The Mormonism of Joseph Smith strikes out on all three as it is the spirit of Mormonism which deceived Joseph Smith and greatly influenced  what he ended up teaching. The "angel from heaven" preaching another gospel identified in Galatians is further described by Paul in 2 Corinthians 11 as Satan as the one who can appear as "an angel of light".

An inadvertent I think but rather telling reference in this statement made by a Mormon Authority concerning Moroni, . . .:

In September, 1823, and at later times Joseph Smith received visitations from Moroni, an angel of light, . . .(EXPLANATORY INTRODUCTION, p.iii of the D&C copyright 1973 edition b HAROLD B. LEE)