Seriously No Politics ×

Reynolds Shooting Suspect Was 'quiet, Spiritual'

BookofMormonLuvr

http://www.kgw.com/news/Mormon-elder-Reynolds-suspect-was-highly-regarded-for-his-spirituality--262781811.html

Figured this would be of interest here. Don't know what happened with this kid, but I am sure he is getting it worked out with the Abba.

Prayers for both families.

Two things need to be kept in mind in this tragic incident, (1) last Sunday "60 Minutes" rebroadcast the only intelligent and accurate story on school shootings in this country, and (2) one ought to be very wary of expecting perfection from anyone, especially young people: they must not be burdened with such unrealistic expectations.

More information on the 15-year-old Mormon shooter is available at

Salt Lake Tribune, June 12, 2014, Shooter's friends say he was straight‑arrow kid, devoted Mormon, http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/world/58060328‑68/padgett‑jared‑milliron‑church.html.csp .

Jared Michael Padgett was a straight‑arrow kid who had a fascination with guns, planned a career in the military and was deeply devoted to his Mormon faith, those who knew him say.

And they're all wondering why the 15‑year‑old took an assault rifle, a handgun and nine ammunition magazines to his high school and killed a fellow freshman, injured a teacher and took his own life.

Earl Milliron, a close friend of the Padgett family, said Jared planned a career in the military, was a devout Mormon and was ordained as a deacon at age 12. He was so dependable at church, Milliron said, that the bishop appointed Jared president of the deacons' quorum.

‑‑‑‑‑‑‑‑‑‑‑‑‑‑‑‑‑‑‑‑‑‑‑‑‑‑‑‑‑‑‑‑‑‑‑‑‑‑‑‑‑‑‑

Oregonian, June 11, 2014, Oregon school shooting: Gunman Jared Michael Padgett known as serious student with interest in military, http://www.oregonlive.com/gresham/index.ssf/2014/06/oregon_school_shooting_gunman.html .

Padgett, 15, who came from a large family with a history of military service and ties to a Gresham Mormon church ward, was identified by Troutdale Police on Wednesday morning as the gunman in Tuesday's shooting. Police investigators said Padgett shot freshman Emilio Hoffman and teacher Todd Rispler before killing himself. Hoffman died; Rispler was injured.

If he was so devout, then why was he still a deacon at 15? The reporting is either inaccurate about his priesthood office or his level of devotion.

It's irrelevant either way, but it didn't make sense to me. It's a sad situation for sure.

If he was so devout, then why was he still a deacon at 15? The reporting is either inaccurate about his priesthood office or his level of devotion.

It's irrelevant either way, but it didn't make sense to me. It's a sad situation for sure.

I don't think the general public would understand that a teacher is a priesthood office.  If they reported him as a teacher, it would have a completely different meaning to nonmembers.  Deacon is recognized as a priesthood office by nonmembers.

I don't think the general public would understand that a teacher is a priesthood office.  If they reported him as a teacher, it would have a completely different meaning to nonmembers.  Deacon is recognized as a priesthood office by nonmembers.

That is true. My son has been in four years of formation and will not be a deacon for another two years of study which will be suspended for a year of foreign missions. He was ordained to first minor orders this year, the offices of porter and lector. Second minor orders come the following year, exorcist and acolyte. Another year and they receive the sub-diaconate, at which point only a dispensation from the pope can cause allow them to be laicized. Ordinarily, they are ordained later in the year as deacons. The diaconate comes only after four intense years of philosophy and theology preceded by two years of humanities and Latin. Twelve years old and a deacon? That's a different world.

There is a lot of pain in the world and its incessant weighing on humanity leads to tragic choices at times. We seldom know the pain that is carried by those around us.   

And an Amen to that.

That is true. My son has been in four years of formation and will not be a deacon for another two years of study which will be suspended for a year of foreign missions. He was ordained to first minor orders this year, the offices of porter and lector. Second minor orders come the following year, exorcist and acolyte. Another year and they receive the sub-diaconate, at which point only a dispensation from the pope can cause allow them to be laicized. Ordinarily, they are ordained later in the year as deacons. The diaconate comes only after four intense years of philosophy and theology preceded by two years of humanities and Latin. Twelve years old and a deacon? That's a different world.

IOW, it only takes 6 or 7 years for a Catholic boy to become a deacon, while it takes a Mormon boy 12 years.   ;)

It is different isn't it?  The offices in the Aaronic priesthood are meant to prepare a young man to enter into the commitments and requirements of the offices in the Melchizedek priesthood both in the church and the home.   The objective is to teach each young man that to be a priesthood holder means to serve others is to serve God and to officiate in the priesthood ordinances.  There is not a process of professional instruction and in-depth study of certain topics as found within Catholic Church and other churches.  

I generally find that LDS young men and members have a better grasp of scripture than the vast majority of youth and members in other churches; it is a generalization with a wide range of exceptions.  In addition, because of our style of worship our youth have more opportunities to become comfortable speaking in front of large groups and in learning leadership skills.  

In saying this I do not take anything away from other groups or to infer that there are not a host of things we can learn from other groups.  Regardless, this is a area that I think has real value within the Church.

Happy Father's Day to you.  I know you must be proud to have a son willing to dedicate his life to serving God and the Catholic Church.  Those are special people and special blessings. 

About 2 people die every second. If death is a time for solemnity than we should never be anything but solemn.

Nehor, this is the best you have to justify your poor taste; death?  How about a young LDS youth that takes a gun and shoots another young man for no reason?  That is not just death; it is a tragedy.  You are better than this and to add justification to the mix magnifies your poor taste.  Enough said, let's move on. 

Nehor, this is the best you have to justify your poor taste; death?  How about a young LDS youth that takes a gun and shoots another young man for no reason?  That is not just death; it is a tragedy.  You are better than this and to add justification to the mix magnifies your poor taste.  Enough said, let's move on.

I am not better than this. My dark tasteless sense of humor is one of my spiritual gifts. I cannot cover it in a bushel or bury it in the dirt or I will go to hell.

I am not better than this. My dark tasteless sense of humor is one of my spiritual gifts. I cannot cover it in a bushel or bury it in the dirt or I will go to hell.

While I too find your humor out of place in this instance, I can see where your statement about it always being the " quiet " ones who seem to go off the rails to be on point. How many times have we heard the neighbors of the local serial killer say " He was a nice man, kept to himself. We never would have guessed." ?

Here we have a young man who, by all reports, was a responsible and 'spiritual' lad. As Storm Rider said, we rarely have an idea what pain others carry. Perhaps more will come out in future reports.

The Nehor, on 15 Jun 2014 - 3:10 PM, said:snapback.png

Just once I would like to read about the "Loud and boisterous" kid who goes on a killing spree. The "quiet ones" are really getting bad press.

Nehor, this is not the time for this type of humor. 

Aside from the sick humor, however, there is a lot of truth here.  Give me a normal loud and boisterous kid any day.  It is the quiet ones I'm worried about.

Nehor, this is the best you have to justify your poor taste; death? How about a young LDS youth that takes a gun and shoots another young man for no reason? That is not just death; it is a tragedy. You are better than this and to add justification to the mix magnifies your poor taste. Enough said, let's move on.

I read an article that he wanted to rid people who sinned. If this is true, I don't think he got this from current teachings of the church. I wonder where it came from? Not his family either, very strange. He wasn't a loner either. Did he play video games?

I read an article that he wanted to rid people who sinned. If this is true, I don't think he got this from current teachings of the church. I wonder where it came from? Not his family either, very strange. He wasn't a loner either. Did he play video games?

Why do people keep going on about video games making people more violent. Video games do not make people violent and I'll kill anyone who disagrees with me.

And every article published is truthful and accurate, correct?

Are you asking these questions out of a sincere motivation to understand? Or do you enjoy this kind of gossip?

This is my stake. I am grateful for my stake and ward leadership who are showing Christlike love and setting the example for the support of both families. Hearts are broken here. We will be attending a funeral today for reasons we could never imagine. The pain of the family is indescribable.

Mental illness. 

And every article published is truthful and accurate, correct?

Are you asking these questions out of a sincere motivation to understand? Or do you enjoy this kind of gossip?

This is my stake. I am grateful for my stake and ward leadership who are showing Christlike love and setting the example for the support of both families. Hearts are broken here. We will be attending a funeral today for reasons we could never imagine. The pain of the family is indescribable.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/oregon-school-shooter-wrote-plan-kill-sinners-cops-article-1.1829711

I'm sorry.  I don't enjoy gossip.  I just don't understand. 

This is good to hear.  Not surprising, but still good to hear given there is very little we ourselves can do.

Archived