Seriously No Politics ×

Ny Times Article: Kate Kelly And John Dehlin Threatened With Excommunication

Story here

I'm not surprised by the church's actions. 

The other way to look at it, is the NYT picked it up because it 'IS' significant.   These are hot button issues for many faiths at the moment, not just Mormonism.

Given the way the OW discussions were pitched with suggesting the use of ward resources among other things, I am not surprised about that one.

With Dehlin I've been surprised it is taken this long, but his leaders know him better and perhaps they saw a greater appropriate desire towards staying connected than I do (he seemed to me to want to stay connected not because of belief but because he wanted to change things).

I agree, i'm much more surprised by Kelly than Dehlin.  

The only way that the NYT could have known about it though, is if these two alerted them of it.  The church doesn't broadcast these kinds of proceedings and is very careful to keep things private.

It might be significant, but the NYT only knows about it because kate kelly and dehlin contacted them.

Who knows? They are both fairly public figures, so I wouldn't blame them at all for letting people around them know what's going on. If they said anything on their Facebook pages, websites, or anywhere else, someone was bound to pick it up.

If nothing else, this sort of shows where the church draws the line between constructive criticism from the membership and apostasy.

I used to listen to Dehlin back when I was first questioning the church's validity and wondered how he could know so much about the true history of the church and not come to the same conclusion I had.

I guess time solved that issue.

The church is doing itself no favors here. This will only re-enforce the idea that they don't have the intestinal fortitude to face the truth.

Who knows? They are both fairly public figures, so I wouldn't blame them at all for letting people around them know what's going on. If they said anything on their Facebook pages, websites, or anywhere else, someone was bound to pick it up.

If nothing else, this sort of shows where the church draws the line between constructive criticism from the membership and apostasy.

I didn't say that I blamed them, only that it seems to show where their heads are and how they are approaching this.

Interesting.

I really don't know how i feel about the discipline they are receiving.  I do think the fact that they almost immediately released the information to the press shows a bit where their priorities lie.

I am reminded of how Denver Snuffer tried to turn confidential disciplinary measures into a publicity circus.

Thanks,

-Smac

I agree, i'm much more surprised by Kelly than Dehlin.

Me too. Dehlin seems to me to have done much more in affecting people's actual faith, presenting the Church in negative ways but his audience was limited to those who sought him out it would seem.

However, Kelly's organization is presenting itself as actively proselyting LDS members and not just waiting for them to become aware and join on their own. And that first discussion is a doozy, I can't see anyone not already deeply committed to their faith in the Church as God's authorised organization seeing the benefit of being a member outweighing the costs (if they accept the costs as presented by OW which are not accurate imo). I can see a leader wanting to convey a message quickly that such things are not permissible in order to prevent a spread of copycat proselyting organisations, each with their own agenda to change the Church in the future. Shutting the proselyting down before it is even fully presented sends a clearer message that such are not permissible.

I didn't say that I blamed them, only that it seems to show where their heads are and how they are approaching this.

I didn't say you blamed them, either, but I don't think we can say they went out of their way to contact the New York Times. At least I don't know that they did or didn't.

To me, they seem to be approaching it as if the outcome were a foregone conclusion. If what Kate Kelly says accurately reflects her stake president's and her positions, I think it probably is.

May I suggest that we refrain from making predictions about what will happen to Bro. Dehlin and Sis. Kelly. Let us allow the process to run its course. Let us hope that those involved will seek and follow guidance from the Spirit.Thanks,-Smac

Amen

I'm saying that by excommunicating those who study the true history of the church (not the whitewashed version) and come to the conclusion that it is full of holes, they don't do themselves any favors. Much better to just cut them off and go stick their collective heads in the ground and pretend that nothing is wrong.

There IS something wrong. There is a rotten spot in the organization and it needs to be rooted out.

To me, they seem to be approaching it as if the outcome were a foregone conclusion.

I think they are most likely basing their assumptions on how they anticipate their own reactions, what they are willing and not willing to do.

From Kate Kelly's website:

I was informed on June 8 that there will be a disciplinary council held in absentia by my former bishopric on June 22 to try me for “apostasy.” I have moved away from the Washington, DC area, and after I left my former Stake President sent me a letter outlining what he called “informal probation” after meeting with me one time, while I was packing to move.  The trial will be held in my former ward and I am not able to return.