Seriously No Politics ×

Aclu Cries Foul On Slc Council Protest Of Days Of ’47 Flap

ksfisher

Excellent call IMO. I agree with the below, there are some parades that can go controversial if they wasn't to. That shouldn't mean that this who want to keep a tighter focus get pushed into losing that.

""The challenge is, once you let an advocacy group in … you have no standing to say, ‘Well, I’m not going to let other groups in,’" James said. "Then the parade becomes point and counterpoint instead of celebrating our message … which is about the founding of the state and pioneers coming here.""

To protect the Days of '47 Parade? :-)

To protect the rights of all individuals against the tyranny of government.....even those individuals who I take issue with or whose argument, point or institutional ties I disagree with.

Excellent call IMO. I agree with the below, there are some parades that can go controversial if they wasn't to. That shouldn't mean that this who want to keep a tighter focus get pushed into losing that.

""The challenge is, once you let an advocacy group in … you have no standing to say, ‘Well, I’m not going to let other groups in,’" James said. "Then the parade becomes point and counterpoint instead of celebrating our message … which is about the founding of the state and pioneers coming here.""

cal, are you OK?

I ask, because you typically write very well, but I can't make sense out of your first sentence here. Is it a case of hitting the "Post" button too soon?

cal, are you OK?

I ask, because you typically write very well, but I can't make sense out of your first sentence here. Is it a case of hitting the "Post" button too soon?

The article is a bit confusing about who is saying what. 

The article is a bit confusing about who is saying what. 

The way I read it, the Salt Lake City Council, is endeavoring to influence the policies of the Days of '47 Committee, the parade-organizing committee, to alter its policies and allow Mormons Building Bridges, a gay rights advocacy group, to put an entry in the annual 24th of July parade. The ACLU is saying the city council, a government entity, ought not be bringing such influence to bear on a private organization like the Days of '47, especially heavy-handed stuff like threatening to boycott the parade.

For those unfamiliar with Utah, Days of '47 is the annual celebration in downtown Salt Lake City observing Pioneer Day, the holiday that marks the coming of Brigham Young and the Pioneers to the Salt Lake Valley on July 24, 1847, and the concomitant founding of Salt Lake City.

It's pretty pervasive, with participation from the city and from the Church, including numerous stakes throughout the Salt Lake Valley, which create and enter floats in the parade. Probably the biggest celebration that happens all year in the city.

You don't give up your rights when you cross the Utah boarder.

I'm not sure what you mean?

The ACLU is arguing that the SLC government doesn't have the right to try to persuade the Pioneer Day parade people to allow Mormons Building Bridges in.

That governments can't have censorship in either direction.

I don't think anyone is arguing differently.

I guess I don't really see this as a utah issue though. The ACLU seems to be just as active, if not more so, in other states. That's why I'm not understanding your mention of the borders of utah.

The way I read it, the Salt Lake City Council, is endeavoring to influence the policies of the Days of '47 Committee, the parade-organizing committee, to alter its policies and allow Mormons Building Bridges, a gay rights advocacy group, to put an entry in the annual 24th of July parade.

Is mormonbuildingbridges.org (not sponsored by the Church) any more a "gay rights advocacy group" than mormonsandgays.org (an official website of the Church)?

The Church officially supported Salt Lake City non-discrimination ordinance; wouldn't that be "gay rights advocacy". Mormons Building Bridges also supported the non-discrimination ordinance?

MBB "political" section of their website is still under construction, so I was unable to see what their political activities are.

From MBB website FAQs:

Q: Why does MBB have a list of approved signage for the Pride parade?

MBB seeks to provide a way for faithful Latter-day Saints to work within a church framework as they show love and support for LGBTQI/SSA people. To this end, we found disciplined messaging to be very effective. All of your signs should be quotations from scriptures, LDS church hymns, or General Authorities. This approach allows more of our diverse membership to feel comfortable joining MBB for Pride.

Is mormonbuildingbridges.org (not sponsored by the Church) any more a "gay rights advocacy group" than mormonsandgays.org (an official website of the Church)?

The Church officially supported Salt Lake City non-discrimination ordinance; wouldn't that be "gay rights advocacy". Mormons Building Bridges also supported the non-discrimination ordinance?

MBB "political" section of their website is still under construction, so I was unable to see what their political activities are.

This doesn't have anything to do with the LDS church and who they do or don't support.

This has to do with the Days of 47 Parade committee and their policy about who they let have a float in the parade.  Their policy is not to allow any floats that might be divisive in nature.

This doesn't have anything to do with the LDS church and who they do or don't support.

This has to do with the Days of 47 Parade committee and their policy about who they let have a float in the parade. Their policy is not to allow any floats that might be divisive in nature.

What could be divisive about a gospel centered message of love? If there is anyone to be held responsible for misbehavior - being divisive, it would be those who refuse to accept and following the instruction from Church leaders to be kind and compassionate.

But why bring up Mormonsandgays.org, because of the divisive inflammatory language of labeling MBB a "gay rights advocacy" group. Just wondering if there is consistency in using emotional rhetoric.

What is "gay rights advocacy"? And can the Church support of the Salt Lake City non-discrimination ordinance be considered "gay rights advocacy"?

cal, are you OK?

It is trying to type with two dogs trying to get me to pet them at the same time. Babysitting my brother's dog while they are moving.

I don't think anyone is arguing differently.

I guess I don't really see this as a utah issue though. The ACLU seems to be just as active, if not more so, in other states. That's why I'm not understanding your mention of the borders of utah.

Just a gentle poke at the communities along the Wasatch Front. While at BYU many many moon ago we'd point the mountains right outside the campus and claim the campus was our universe where nothing got in and nothing got out. ;)

What could be divisive about a gospel centered message of love? If there is anyone to be held responsible for misbehavior - being divisive, it would be those who refuse to accept and following the instruction from Church leaders to be kind and compassionate.

But why bring up Mormonsandgays.org, because of the divisive inflammatory language of labeling MBB a "gay rights advocacy" group. Just wondering if there is consistency in using emotional rhetoric.

What is "gay rights advocacy"? And can the Church support of the Salt Lake City non-discrimination ordinance be considered "gay rights advocacy"?

I don't know.  Those seem like questions for a different thread.

Whether or not you disagree with the Parade committee policy, the point is that they have the right to set it, and the government can't try to influence it.

Just a gentle poke at the communities along the Wasatch Front. While at BYU many many moon ago we'd point the mountains right outside the campus and claim the campus was our universe where nothing got in and nothing got out. ;)

:good:

I don't know.  Those seem like questions for a different thread.

Whether or not you disagree with the Parade committee policy, the point is that they have the right to set it, and the government can't try to influence it.

I agree.  It's THEIR parade, it's privately owned and they have the right to say who marches in it or not.  We don't have to agree with it, but it's still their right. 

Red

This was tongue-in-cheek, right?

Archived