Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BCSpace

Tom Christofferson: Gay Mormon Shares His Journey Back To Faith

Can one be an artist without ever producing a creative work? Can one be an auto mechanic without ever turning a wrench? Can one be a pianist without ever touching a key? In my stubborn mind , feelings and desires are insufficient without actions.

I'm sick of hearing that there is a gay, feminist liberal.... agenda... furthermore there are most certainly church members who are not loving towards homosexuals. Just as there are open minded and loving church members. Fact is... there are a lot of leaders whose remarks can not be interpreted as anything but judging and cruel. I had a branch President last year who gave a testimony about the sin of homosexuality and how it is certainly a choice AND a sin. I lost three investigators from my class due to those remarks. Unacceptable! The Gospel is for everyone. Tolerances for homosexuality are minimal in the church and it is archaic.

I understand what you are saying from a very personal side...I have a lot on insight into this issue. I think some feel that a very hard line on the issue is a way of insuring their children will not be this way. This is wrong headed, as people do not choose to be gay. However, being the father of a gay child, the people who knew her growing up in our Ward treat her with such love and respect and to suggest that a large part of Mormons hate Gays is not my experience. Either I am in an odd Ward, or this is not so. Just because people oppose Gay Marriage does not mean they hate Gay people, but hold marriage sacred. I know it does exist to a degree as a long time friend of mine who has two Gay children calls them all sorts of names. Also the Bible is not very friendly toward homosexuality. Note that our own scriptures say nothing. The reality is this...they cannot help how they feel, but like us all they can choose how they

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By blueglass
      Why do members of the church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints believe the priesthood keys and presiding priesthood were taken from the earth? 
      1)  Not all apostles were killed, John an apostle who held Apostolic keys was granted "apower over bdeath, that I may live and bring souls unto thee. " according to D&Cov7 Joseph and Oliver use the seer stone and receive a vision of a parchment of John and given power to translate it that they may obtain an answer to their question.   https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/scriptures/dc-testament/dc/7?lang=eng
      2)  Paul teaches immortal church that the gospel of Christ Jesus would be upon the earth "throughout all ages, world without end." Ephesians 3:21
      3)  The letter of 1Clement (first century dated 80 - 140AD) says the Apostles themselves instructed the bishops and ordained them with power to call and ordain other bishops to retain succession and authority.  1Clem 44:1 And our Apostles knew through our Lord Jesus Christ that there would be strife over the name of the bishop's office. 1Clem 44:2 For this cause therefore, having received complete foreknowledge, they appointed the aforesaid persons, and afterwards they provided a continuance, that if these should fall asleep, other approved men should succeed to their ministration.
      4)  Brigham Young teaches robust quorum succession in the event of catastrophe (see Wilford Woodruff journal July 28, 1860) that if either the first presidency or the twelve or both are killed the seventy can recreate the church and can re-organize the higher quorums - which matches the letter of Clement. 
      Quote:  "The President of the Church holds the keys of the sealing powers & his Council act in Concert with him [in] all things.  Should the Presidency die The Twelve Could organize another Presidency & should the Presidency & Twelve all be slain the Seventies being Equal in power & Authority to the Twelve or first Presidency Could organize both Quorums.   He also taught that a high priest is a primal seed and can re-organize the church if all authorities are dead (nuclear holocaust, alien uprising, voyages to new planets etc). Quote: "The High Priest Could organize the Church in all its parts if all other Authorities were dead for they have the Melchizedek Priesthood out of which grow all of the Higher offices of the Church."
      5)  John Taylor teaches of revelations received during the time of "darkness" which coincides with Ephesians 3
      John Taylor, 7-Sept 1873 "Say some—'Oh, we are so enlightened and intelligent now. In former ages, when the people were degraded and in darkness, it was necessary that he should communicate intelligence to the human family; but we live in the blaze of Gospel day, in an age of light and intelligence.'  Perhaps we do; I rather doubt it. I have a great many misgivings about the intelligence that men boast so much of in this enlightened day. There were men in those dark ages who could commune with God, and who, by the power of faith, could draw aside the curtain of eternity and gaze upon the invisible world. There were men who could tell the destiny of the human family, and the events which would transpire throughout every subsequent period of time until the final winding-up scene. There were men who could gaze upon the face of God, have the ministering of angels, and unfold the future destinies of the world. If those were dark ages I pray God to give me a little darkness, and deliver me from the light and intelligence that prevail in our day;"
      Just to be clear I believe in restoration - these points arose as I studied the matter more closely when I served as a ward mission leader and the update of Preach my gospel released. 
    • By Bernard Gui
      In sacrament meeting today, a brother announced that he had been asked to give a talk about President Oaks’ April Conference address. Most of the time, this type of talk is like a book report “Elder Oaks said this....,” “then Elder Oaks said that.....” I prefer to read the book myself rather than hear someone’s rehash of it.
      Today, however, was not one of those days. Today was transformational. Taking this quote as his starting point
      our speaker gave perhaps the best sermon I have ever heard and felt on repentance. He said at first he worried that his words might not be appropriate, but then he came to the conclusion that what he had to say was what the Lord wanted him to say. He told his story...
      A life-long member, seminary graduate, returned missionary young man who had made some very poor choices and ended up in many years of inactivity, moral degradation, addiction, depression, homelessness, self-loathing, and despondency. At a point when he was making the decision whether or not to live any longer, he thought of his father. He called him and asked if they could meet. They agreed and at that visit in their home, his father gave him a blessing during which the slate was wiped clean. Embraced by his parents, from that moment he began to take the steps that would restore his spirit, mind, and body through the Atonement of Jesus Christ. Now three years later, he is sealed to a sister from our ward who had earlier suffered at the hands of an abusive ex-husband. They and their little baby boy are now a healthy and whole loving family. God be praised!
      There were many tearful eyes in the congregation, and some wept openly. We did not know of his journey, only that he had come as a great blessing into the life of our friend. I am sure many were thinking of loved ones they fear have slipped forever away from the path into forbidden areas from which there will be no return. Or perhaps there were those who are having similar feelings of uselessness and despair themselves. As the Spirit bore witness, we were given the hope that “Where will this lead?” does not necessarily have be to tragedy, but rather to deliverance, and redemption, and joy. It is possible for all of us.
      Thanks to this good brother for sharing his story of repentance, and thanks be to God and our Savior Jesus Christ. 

• By nuclearfuels
      Y'all know that lesson with the cups?
      12 Disciples of Jesus - pics of them on one side - pics of the current 12 Apostles on the other side.
      Then you build the cups up into a pyramid / tower and the cups have labels on them like priesthood, tithing, scriptures, fasting, Temple, etc.
      Been wonderin' about the Sanhedrin - read somewhere that they were the literal/genealogical descendants of the quorum of the 70 from the time of Moses
      Was the Sanherin apostate?  
      Seems like they practiced what they were supposed to / followed the rules they had in place.
      If they got the Levitical priesthood from their elders (did they?), as did John the Baptist who followed his own path, clearly not the Sanhedrin's path.
      Seems like if the Sanhedrin didnt have authority , then how did John?
      https://www.lds.org/scriptures/bd/sanhedrin?lang=eng
      https://www.lds.org/scriptures/bd/john-the-baptist

• By kcw0042
      I have recently been converted to LDS and everything went well till I told my parents about it. They can not accept my decision and are very disappointed and hateful. They say that Mormons are brainwashed people who try to decide on me and that Mormons are very old-fashioned and bad people. My mom said, that she would rather see me as drug addict than mormon. I am really sad about what they are thinking. I am so happy, that i decided to convert, but at the same time i am really sad about what my parents are thinking. What can i tell them to gain their accept, or at least gain their respect?

They have said things such as:
      Mormons are bad people
      It is nothing about christianity
      You are disappointing your family
      They will brainwash you, and you will be a bad person.
      They even have another bible (obviously the book of mormon)
      They are bad people who want to control your life.

Please what can i do? i can not describe how sad i am.

• By Navidad
      Good morning all: I have been absent from the board for a year and a half or so. I have a question with which I hope someone here can help me. I am wrapping up a book on Anglo influence on Mexican religion and have been reading a 1968 book by Ernest Lee Tuveson a former UC Berkeley professor on the history of the United States as a millenial kingdom. To my surprise I got to around page 150 and he has a whole section on LDS millenial beliefs as epitomizing the concept of the US and the future reign of Christ. In this section he talks about the LDS concept of the apostasy. He quotes the Pratt brothers in a way that is difficult to follow. Apparently in his writings, one of the brothers used the term "a terrible silence" to refer to the apostasy. I think that is a terrific phrase; one I would like to use. Dr. Tuveson doesn't provide a source for the quote. I am wondering if any of you gurus might have heard this term before and can help me with a citation? Is there a source where the writings of the Pratts could be searched to find that term?  I trust you all are doing well and that maybe someone has a way I might be able to track down this phrase?