Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BCSpace

Emma Thompson: Women Who Work Can’T Be Great Mothers

We lived in New Mexico for about a decade. Things cost less, but pay was also far less. Before I retired I was making about 5 times more here in California, adjusted for inflation.

Sounds about right. I could get a 50% or more increase in pay by moving to the California coast but after expenses (especially housing) my purchasing power would go down.

Sounds about right. I could get a 50% or more increase in pay by moving to the California coast but after expenses (especially housing) my purchasing power would go down.

Lots depends on what part of California you live in. The San Francisco Bay Area. Forget about it. It has some of the highest cost of living in the country. Most places in Orange and Los Angeles counties are too expensive to. I don't see how a middle class family can make it there. Out here in San Bernardino county prices are far less, but incomes are just a little less. The plus is that I look out my front window into 12,000 ft. mountains, am an hour from the desert, and about a hour and a half from the ocean, depending on traffic.  :)

Lots depends on what part of California you live in. The San Francisco Bay Area. Forget about it. It has some of the highest cost of living in the country. Most places in Orange and Los Angeles counties are too expensive to. I don't see how a middle class family can make it there. Out here in San Bernardino county prices are far less, but incomes are just a little less. The plus is that I look out my front window into 12,000 ft. mountains, am an hour from the desert, and about a hour and a half from the ocean, depending on traffic. :)

That's ideal TSS, living so close to both mountains & ocean!

My nephew and his family have been living in Utah for the past few years but he and his wife grew up in California and in April they decided to move back there to live near both sets of families. They lived with his in-laws while looking for a home but as luck would have it, homes increased $100,000.00 in their Northern California town. They've since moved back to Utah after realizing they wanted to be in a better, more affordable area. It's too bad since both wanted to be back home with their families. Luckily they have cousins and aunts and uncles in Utah, so somewhat like family.

That's ideal TSS, living so close to both mountains & ocean!

My nephew and his family have been living in Utah for the past few years but he and his wife grew up in California and in April they decided to move back there to live near both sets of families. They lived with his in-laws while looking for a home but as luck would have it, homes increased $100,000.00 in their Northern California town. They've since moved back to Utah after realizing they wanted to be in a better, more affordable area. It's too bad since both wanted to be back home with their families. Luckily they have cousins and aunts and uncles in Utah, so somewhat like family.

Both sets of parents, nearly all aunts and uncles and lots of cousins have gone past the veil. All my kids, and grandkids, are within 10 miles of us. Home is where the heart is, and my heart is here.

Just so I'm clear, we're supposed to take advice on family values from the woman who was in "Junior"?

I understand in Sweden instead of putting the child in daycare they pay the mother to stay home for a couple of years. Some developmental psychologists have argued that research shows attachment problems if a child is placed in daycare too early.

I understand in Sweden instead of putting the child in daycare they pay the mother to stay home for a couple of years. Some developmental psychologists have argued that research shows attachment problems if a child is placed in daycare too early.

Agreed. The US has a long ways to go in its treatment of its children.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Nofear
      I first wrote a great deal more but I think it can be distilled down to a simpler situation.
      Exalted beings (eventually) are omnipotent. The have full control over existence inasmuch as control is possible . That would include their own physical and spirit body. If such a being wants to change his hair, eye, skin color -- he or she can. If such a being wants to retain physical markings consistent with mortal wounds -- he or she can. If such a being wants to be a foot taller or have four fingers -- he or she can. Celestial and Eternal Society is the pinnacle of harmony, peace, felicity, and efficacy. Our species has chosen to be basically gender binary We know that numerous sex/gender models exist and are present in different species Our spirit bodies were created by our Heavenly Parents A part of us is eternal and uncreate (I call that intelligent matter) and predates our spirit bodies We do not know if gender existed for us before our spirit body (as the D&C suggests, eternal does not necessarily mean into the infinite past or future) These are the basic facts of LDS theology. While I have several non-majority (yet still consistent with orthodoxy) opinions, I think these are mostly non-controversial as being consistent with our theology.
      So, how would you answer these questions?
      If an Exalted Being wants to change the physiological gender of their resurrected body, is that possible? Why has Eternal and Celestial Society chosen a gender binary mechanism? If gender existed before our spirit body, what does "gender" mean for a something that has no body? If gender did not exist before our spirit body, what was the mechanism whereby our Heavenly Parents chose a gender? Is that an immutable choice?  
      A note: These questions are not designed to be subversive in any way even though it might come across that way. I am theologically orthodox and orthopraxic. I fully support and sustain the Brethren, Elder Oaks, and the rest. I have my own partial answers to these questions, but other commentary may add insight that had not occurred to me.
    • By Maestrophil
      I am posting this here because this involves a non active member as well as myself and my wife, and I would appreciate all insights. 
      This litterally just happened and I am kind of sick about the current position I am in and what to do. 
      So, I drove my 14 yr old daughter to YW for a hike. My daughter, who has been very vocal about not liking YW or hikes, was not murmuring this time. On the way she says “oh, I guess my mom (my ex) is joining us.  I thought it was odd but wasn’t too bothered. 
      When i got home just now and told my wife, she got really angry and demanded I call the ex right away and tell her to go home.  My wife is fearful that the ex, who is vocally anti organized church, will pull my daughter away from socializing with the other girls, and will disparage us and the church. 
      When i refused to do that and told her I thought it would do more harm than good on many levels to tell my ex wife she was not welcome to attend our ward YW, she became furious with me and I not speaking.  She wants me to “do something about it “
      My questions for you are - what do I do?  Is it our place as members to deny anyone who is not a danger to attend a ward activity?  How can I even explain this to my ex wife in a way she would understand - and ask her to notify us if she wants to attend a ward function?  Is that my place?  And I also don’t want to do anything harmful to my daughter.  Yet, I want to honor and please my faithful wife.  
      All ideas are welcome - Sooner than later!!! 😩

Thanks!

MP

• By hagoth7
      For FHE tonight, as somewhat of a wry riff on events of the last 48 hours, I am watching BYUTV's Relative Race. Kinda fun. Anyone else watched it? If so, whadya think?
      My first week in the ward, I also noticed mention of an app that allows you to see who you're related to in the ward. 
    • By Jane_Doe
      Hi,
      I'm seeking someone to have a PM conversation with about experiences/advise about converting against your family's wishes.
      Thanks in advance
    • By Anne E. Prufe
      For anyone interested, LDS Answers is running a survey on the influence of movie ratings on personal/family/home standards for an upcoming article.  http://www.ldsanswers.org/movie-ratings-survey-take-survey/  I'm interested to see the results!