Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BookofMormonLuvr

"neon Trees Rocker Happy To Be A Role Model For Gay Mormons"

http://www.suntimes.com/entertainment/27381282-421/neon-trees-rocker-happy-to-be-a-role-model-for-gay-mormons.html#.U3CynCiQ9qU

“I was surprised at how many Mormon church leaders wrote me messages saying, ‘This is great that you’re doing this,’ ” the 30-year-old lead singer said in a recent interview. “That really was cool.”

Glenn said he hopes members of the Mormon church will continue to become more understanding and accepting of homosexuality and gay marriage.

I am skeptical about these "many Mormon church leaders", since he supports acceptance of "gay marriage".

But what do I know, maybe church leaders are starting the accept the homosexual lifestyle.

:pardon:

[

But what do I know, maybe church leaders are starting the accept the homosexual lifestyle.

Did H311 freeze over while I wasn't paying attention???

Church leaders affirm the traditional definition of marriage as a union between one man and one woman.  

That said, they reach out with understanding and respect towards those who experience same-sex attraction.  

See http://www.mormonsandgays.org

Did H311 freeze over while I wasn't paying attention???

Nah.  See, there's this thing called global warming ... :diablo:  ;)

Church leaders affirm the traditional definition of marriage as a union between one man and one woman.  

That said, they reach out with understanding and respect towards those who experience same-sex attraction.  

See http://www.mormonsandgays.org

But do they reach out in understanding for those advocating acceptance of "gay marriage" for the church? That is what he is claiming.

http://www.suntimes.com/entertainment/27381282-421/neon-trees-rocker-happy-to-be-a-role-model-for-gay-mormons.html#.U3CynCiQ9qU

Glenn said he hopes members of the Mormon church will continue to become more understanding and accepting of homosexuality and gay marriage.

Glenn has a bit of wishful thinking going on here. Understanding? Yes, accepting of the practice? No.

But do they reach out in understanding for those advocating acceptance of "gay marriage" for the church? That is what he is claiming.

I don't think the Church would necessarily try to push somebody out just because they may have a different view on marriage than the official Church teaching.  But it could present some problems if they were very vocal about it.  I trust that they would try to reach out to the person in a helpful way to reach some kind of resolution.    

BTW, the First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve issued this statement earlier this year (italics mine for emphasis):

"Changes in civil law do not, indeed cannot, change the moral law that God has established. God expects us to uphold and keep His commandments, regardless of divergent opinions or trends in society. His law of chastity is clear: sexual relations are proper only between a man and a woman who are legally and lawfully wedded as husband and wife. We urge you to review and teach church members the doctrines contained in the proclamation to the world."  

The statement continues: “just as those who promote same-sex marriage are entitled to civility, the same is true for those that oppose it. As members of the Church, we are responsible to teach the Gospel of Jesus Christ, and to illuminate the great blessings that flow from heeding God’s commandments, as well as the inevitable consequences of ignoring them. We invite you to pray that people everywhere will have their hearts softened to the truths of the gospel and that wisdom will be granted to those who are called upon to decide issues critical to society’s future.”

I am skeptical about these "many Mormon church leaders", since he supports acceptance of "gay marriage".

Well, it depends on what you mean by "church leaders".  I doubt that he is referring to the prophet, apostles, and GA's.

But if he's referring to local leaders, it's definitely possible.  Why would the Brethren keep making statements to the effect that "changes in civil law don't change our moral law" regarding SSM if they weren't sensing a shift in attitudes among church membership"?