Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stargazer

The Book Of Mormon On Jeopardy!

My wife and i watch Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy! religiously, every night. This week is the quarter-finals of the Battle of the Decades, where they are getting together the contestants from the past who won the most.  The biggest winner on Jeopardy! of all time is Ken Jennings, who was the winning contestant night after night for 74 episodes, for $2.5+ million.  In case you weren't aware of it, Ken is an active LDS.  Well, I am not quite as big a Jeopardy fan as my wife (I do have other things to do, recently, such as getting those darned books ready for publication), and she is a really big Ken Jennings fan.  So, she's been waiting for last night, when Jennings was finally standing up for the quarter-finals.  And Ken did not disappoint, he creamed the other two contestants by winning $40K in one night.  So he's in the semi-finals.  Whenever they start.  Next week?  Maybe.  I will watch it but I am not waiting with bated breath like my wife is.

So tonight is the final night of the quarter-finals, and the final Jeopardy! question comes up.  I don't remember the category name, but it was something like American Books or whatever.  And here was the statement, not exactly, but as close as I remember it:

"This book was published in 1830, and in 2011 there was a piece by the same name that premiered."

Well, I was stumped.  And so were all three of the contestants.  The final result came down to whoever bet the least, basically.  And what was the answer in the form of a question?

"The Book of Mormon"

Seems that there was another answer/question pair sometime over the past couple of weeks that involved the Church in some way, but I haven't been able to pin it down.

Just noting this -- when the Book of Mormon is featured on network TV in a trivia show, I guess it has "arrived".

My wife and i watch Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy! religiously, every night. This week is the quarter-finals of the Battle of the Decades, where they are getting together the contestants from the past who won the most.  The biggest winner on Jeopardy! of all time is Ken Jennings, who was the winning contestant night after night for 74 episodes, for $2.5+ million.  In case you weren't aware of it, Ken is an active LDS.  Well, I am not quite as big a Jeopardy fan as my wife (I do have other things to do, recently, such as getting those darned books ready for publication), and she is a really big Ken Jennings fan.  So, she's been waiting for last night, when Jennings was finally standing up for the quarter-finals.  And Ken did not disappoint, he creamed the other two contestants by winning $40K in one night.  So he's in the semi-finals.  Whenever they start.  Next week?  Maybe.  I will watch it but I am not waiting with bated breath like my wife is.

So tonight is the final night of the quarter-finals, and the final Jeopardy! question comes up.  I don't remember the category name, but it was something like American Books or whatever.  And here was the statement, not exactly, but as close as I remember it:

"This book was published in 1830, and in 2011 there was a piece by the same name that premiered."

Well, I was stumped.  And so were all three of the contestants.  The final result came down to whoever bet the least, basically.  And what was the answer in the form of a question?

"The Book of Mormon"

Seems that there was another answer/question pair sometime over the past couple of weeks that involved the Church in some way, but I haven't been able to pin it down.

Just noting this -- when the Book of Mormon is featured on network TV in a trivia show, I guess it has "arrived".

Saw the same and it flummoxed me as well.

My family watches jeopardy and we play to see who can get the most points the first round you get one point for every right answer and the second round you get two points, if you get it wrong nothing happened. The final question is worth 5 points, we watch that same episode and everyone in the room yelled " The Book of Mormon " !, it was a very fun night.

"The Book of Mormon"

Did you watch when Ken went up against Watson and Brad?

Did you watch when Ken went up against Watson and Brad?

Of course.  My wife is a Ken Jennings fan!  I could not avoid it -- even if I wanted to.

We also watched on last Friday night when Brad, Ken and another guy I don't remember his name.  On the Battle of the Decades.  Ken got second place and Brad won.

But we were both disappointed that Ken blew the Final Jeopardy question.

Of course.  My wife is a Ken Jennings fan!  I could not avoid it -- even if I wanted to.

We also watched on last Friday night when Brad, Ken and another guy I don't remember his name.  On the Battle of the Decades.  Ken got second place and Brad won.

But we were both disappointed that Ken blew the Final Jeopardy question.

My family was rooting for Watson. :)

My family was rooting for Watson. :)

As a computer programmer, I will confess that I definitely had a sympathetic feeling for Watson!