Sign in to follow this  
canard78

Is This An Original Book Of Mormon Map By Joseph Smith?

I just came across this online. Is it genuine? I've never heard of it before.

https://rsc.byu.edu/sites/default/files/image/4%20Nephi/1_1%204ne.jpg

1_1%204ne.jpgThe article states:

Several years ago, I came across two copies of a map in the Archives Division of the Historical Department of the Church relative to Moroni’s North American journeys (see Figures 1 and 2). On the back of the map in Figure 1 is written the following:

A chart, and description of Moroni’s travels through this country. Got it from Br. Robert ****son. He got it from Patriarch Wm. McBride at Richfield in the Sevier and also from Andrew M. Hamilton of same place. And they got it from Joseph Smith the Prophet. 

On the map “land Bountifull [sic]” is listed in “Sentral [sic] America.” The cartographer wrote “starting point” below the reference to Central America. Above the “land Bountifull” is “Sand hills in south part of Arizona,” and above it to the left is “Salt Lake.” To the right is “Independens, Jackson Co, Mo.” and above that is “Adam on Diamon, Davis Co, Mo.” To the right of that is “Nauvoo, Hancock C.Ill.” Below that is “Mound Kinderhook, Pick, Co, Ill, 6 Plates Bell shape were found” (were was was on one copy). Then to the right and above that is “Kirtland, Ohio,” and to the right of that is “Commorre [Cumorah], N.Y.” Below this on the right-hand side of the map is written: “Moroni’s Travels starting from Sentral America to the Sand hills Arizona then to Salt Lake U[tah], T[erritory], then to Adam on Diammon Mo, then to Nauvoo, Ill, then to Independence Mo, then to Kirtland Ohio then to Cumoro NY.”

H. Donl Peterson, “Moroni, the Last of the Nephite Prophets,” in Fourth Nephi, From Zion to Destruction, ed. Monte S. Nyman and Charles D. Tate Jr. (Provo, UT: Religious Studies Center, Brigham Young University, 1995), 235–49.

https://rsc.byu.edu/archived/book-mormon-fourth-nephi-through-moroni-zion-destruction/18-moroni-last-nephite-prophets

Edited by canard78

Some of the text says:

(consider sic where relevant!)

Moronis Travils starting from Sentral America to the Sand hills Arizono then to Salt Lake V, J, then to Adam on Diammon Mo, then to Nauvoo, Ill, then to Independence Mo, then to Kirtland Ohio then to Cumoro N.Y.

I'd question whether it could be Joseph Smith... given it mentions "Salt Lake" ??

It's quite the tour of the key Mormon locations. Impressive if he effectively did in the journey of the saints in reverse. That alone makes me a little skeptical.

Also says:

Kinderhook Pike Co. Ill, 6 Plates Bell shape were found

Edited by canard78

At the risk of having a conversation with myself...

That map and its notes fits in with the Moroni-in-Manti story, but goes much, much farther than Snow’s claim, seeming to indicate that not only did Moroni visit the future site of Manti, but also of Salt Lake City, various places in Missouri, Nauvoo, and Kirtland – presumably dedicating all of them as sites of future temples – before depositing the Book of Mormon plates in the hill at Palmyra, New York.

No one knows any longer where this map came from or who drew it – it is unsigned, and the loose pages in the archives offer no obvious connections to any known individual. A note on the back of one copy – not written in the same pen and not even by the same hand as the map – claims this purported provenance for the information: “A Chart and description of Moroni’s travels through this country. Got from Br Robert ****son. He got it from Patria[r]ch Wm McBride at Richfield on the Seveir and also from Andrew M. Hamilton of same place. And they got it from Joseph Smith the Prophet.”

I am unaware that Joseph Smith the Prophet shared this information with anyone else – can any reader point to any contemporary-to-Joseph indication that Moroni visited these significant Mormon sites and dedicated temple locations? Why would Joseph have noted the location of discovery of the Kinderhook Plates, when Joseph didn’t attempt to translate those plates, apparently recognizing them for the forgery they were soon known to be? Moroni’s route is not drawn on a map that shows physical features or political boundaries – how did Joseph Smith communicate Moroni’s route to McBride and Hamilton without reference to such physical features? Are we really meant to believe that Joseph Smith used the names “Utah” and “Arisona” in the early 1840s?

And apart from this map, the entire story of Moroni dedicating sites for future temples – whether solely the one in Manti, or those in other Mormon centers as well – begs the question “Why?” What would be the point of Moroni’s many-thousand-mile journeys, presumably packing the plates along with him, to dedicate such places? Why dedicate Manti, while bypassing St. George – to say nothing of so many later temples across the continent?

http://www.keepapitchinin.org/2010/11/18/moronis-purported-rambles/

This is the second map by (apparently) the same hand:

1_2%204ne.jpg

https://rsc.byu.edu/sites/default/files/image/4%20Nephi/1_2%204ne.jpg

Given 'Utah' would presumably be anachronistic, I would assume it's safe to safe this is not one of Joseph's productions?

To those interested,

The map is archived at the Church History Library. I have b9oth seen and examined the original. It is a page torn from a bound notebook.  On the back is a note about work at the temple that says

"See temple record for 92

sealing record page 106"

Having been torn from a bound book, this dates the drawing. A copy on legal notepad paper has further information on the back documenting its provenance.

Further information is found in in the journal cited above.

Larry P

To those interested,

The map is archived at the Church History Library. I have b9oth seen and examined the original. It is a page torn from a bound notebook.  On the back is a note about work at the temple that says

"See temple record for 92

sealing record page 106"

Having been torn from a bound book, this dates the drawing. A copy on legal notepad paper has further information on the back documenting its provenance.

Further information is found in in the journal cited above.

Larry P

Did you reach any conclusion as to its origin?

Is it safe to conclude that it's a later document and not Joseph Smith?

It is a later document that reports an earlier incident taking place in the presence of Joseph Smith. It may also reflect popular ideas of the time - eg. the kinderhook plates - however it does reflect a minority view of BofM geography that has essentially disappeared from the majority of Church members.

As to its origin, it is just what it seems, A record of a private interaction resulting from a testimony expressed in a Temple Prayer Meeting.

Larry P

-

Edited by Tiki

I would love to see it in person would the library let us see it if we ask

Yes. But only in the library. All I had to do was ask. They will also make digital copies for you.

Larry P

I would love to see it in person would the library let us see it if we ask

Greetings Bookmark, I am MarkBook.

In Indo European "buk" means "birch" and birchbark was used as we use paper. That is where we get the word "book".

Edited by mfbukowski

Did you reach any conclusion as to its origin?

Is it safe to conclude that it's a later document and not Joseph Smith?

I hope it's authentic, and that would make Moroni the first person to ever go on a Church history tour.

There are actually two versions of this map. You can see high quality photos both of them on the church history library website, here.

They clearly don't come directly from Joseph Smith, but I suppose it's possible that they reflect some of his ideas.

Though it doesn't have any connection to Moroni, these maps remind me of the accounts that Joseph Smith had drawn maps to show members of the church where they would end up in the west of the U.S.

https://ojs.lib.byu.edu/spc/index.php/BYUStudies/article/viewFile/5231/4881:

A number of individuals who knew Joseph Smith recorded that on occasions prior to 1842 he had drawn a route the saints would follow in making their westward journey to the Rocky Mountains. According to George H Goddard, Joseph Smith mapped on the floor of the masonic lodge in Nauvoo the course they would follow across the continent. 13 Oliver B Huntington recorded hearing Hopkins C Pendar, "an old Nauvoo Mormon," state that "Joseph Smith just before he was killed made a sketch of the future home of the saints in the Rocky Mountains and their route or road to that country as he had seen in a vision amap adap [sic] or drawing of it. 14 Oliver Huntington stated further that Levi Hancock drew a copy of the map and four other copies were made from it. One was supposedly given to Brigham Young and one was carried by the Mormon Battalion by which they knew where to find the church or Salt Lake Valley. 15 Mosiah Hancock son of Levi, recorded further that Joseph Smith visited his father's house some time before the martyrdom and "stopped in our carpenter shop and stood by the turning lathe. I went and got my map for him. 'Now,' he said, 'I will show you the travels of this people.' He then showed our travels through Iowa and said,'here you will make a place for the winter and here you will travel west until you come to the valley of the Great Salt Lake. You will build cities to the north and to the south and to the east and to the west and you will become a great and wealthy people in that land." 16 Another early church member recorded hearing a Father McBride speak of Joseph Smith marking out the way the saints would travel to the Rocky Mountains. Joseph reportedly marked "the route with his cane in the sand. [sic] they would take." 17 
Edited by mapman

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Burnside
      On one of Book of Mormon Central’s (BMC) website it states:
      “We hope our efforts help all of the religious organizations within the Restoration Movement who cherish the Book of Mormon.” https://bookofmormoncentral.org/content/donation-instructions  [bold added]
      What is the Restoration Movement and the religious organizations within it?
      On the Hill Cumorah Expedition Team web site, it states:
      “The Book of Mormon is many things to many people.  To some, it is the main 
      purpose for the founding of a church in early 19th century America.  To the 
      Restoration movement and all of the many factions, the Book of Mormon is the 
      scripture that distinguishes it from other Christian faiths.
      https://www.hillcumorahexpeditionteam.com/WhatisBofMormon.html [bold added]
      Many factions?
      What is the Hill Cumorah Expedition Team? 
      “During the summer of 2001 several members of the Buckner Congregation of 
      the Community of Christ traveled to Mexico to visit ancient ruins.  They were 
      excited to have Neil Steede as a guide and travel companion.  Several sites 
      were visited including Palenque, Cacaxtla, Cuicuilco, Comalcalco, Cholula, and 
      Teotihuacan.  While traveling the group took a detour and went to see Cerro 
      Rabon, a mountain near Jalapa de Diaz that many Book of Mormon 
      archaeologists have reason to believe is the Hill Cumorah where ancient 
      records are buried.”
      https://www.hillcumorahexpeditionteam.com/ourbeginning.html
      Ah! This answers the question of the “religious organizations or the many factions within the Restoration Movement which cherish The Book of Mormon.”
      They would include:
      The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS)
      The Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (RLDS)
      The Community of Christ which is the new name for the RLDS Church (CofC)
      Restoration Branches - RLDS congregations which broke off of the RLDS Church over women given the priesthood (now that sounds familiar!) , etc: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Restoration_branches
      Do you know of others?
      (Now you know one of the reasons why Pres. Nelson has asked us to refer to the complete name of the Church.)
      But why is Jack Welch co-founder of BMC wanting to help all of these religious organizations within the “Restoration Movement” which cherish The Book of Mormon? 
      Because Jack Welch and BMC is perpetuating a fraud, a Book of Mormon geography fraud.
      This is why a CofC Congregation in Missouri has expeditions to Central America looking for the Hill Cumorah:
      https://www.hillcumorahexpeditionteam.com/ or http://hceti.org/
      Here is a book published by a member of the then RLDS Church, now CofC, Louise E. Hills, “New Light on American Archeology,” 1924, Independence, MO, Page 131.
      https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=wu.89058377359;view=1up;seq=135
      This is a contrived, false, fraud and a hoax created by the RLDS Chruch of a Two-Cumorah Book of Mormon geography theory NOW BEING promoted by members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints who own and work for:
      Book of Mormon Central
      The Interpreter Foundation
      FairMormon
      ..and others who promote the theory which places Book of Mormon geography strictly within Mesoamerica and ignore President Oliver Cowdery who wrote that it was a fact that the final Jaredite and Nephite battles occurred near the Hill Cumorah in New York. https://www.josephsmithpapers.org/paper-summary/history-1834-1836/90
      Maybe you believe there are Two Hill Cumorahs, the original one in Central America somewhere. Why don’t you join this CofC Congregation which believes the same and help them discover the Hill Cumorah in Central America. As RLDS Louise E Hills wrote, Page 131:
      1 am aware that Moroni wrote that he made his
      synopsis of the Jaredite history "from the twenty and
      four plates," but at what time he did this I do not know.
      It may have been done before his father's death, to be
      in preparation for the Lord's purpose that such
      "account" of the Jaredites should be known in our time.
      At least Oliver Cowdery's statement of the contents of
      the box, namely, that it contained a "sketch" of the two
      peoples seems to make it plain that Moroni did not place
      the original Jaredite record in the New York hilL I
      have no objection to that hill being also called Cumorah,
      with the understanding that the ancient hill Cumorah
      is still undiscovered, and that sometime its secrets will
      be revealed and come to the knowledge of God's people.
      Join the expedition! 😏😄😄
    • By Anijen
      In reading some of the posts involving crimes [sexual assault], allegations, [Kavanaugh, President Russel Topic], or even controversial subjects such as Climate Change, Book of Mormon Geography, etc.. I have thought to myself there are a lot of faith based concepts juxtaposed up to scientific method and actual evidence. I'd like to discuss both and how it might affect our concept of that topic and what we take away.
      Personal belief systems can take root at a very early age, sometimes as a part of our cultural or ethnic identity. As a result, they are almost impossible to remove without eroding the soil of substance that gives one both a sense of identity and purpose. However, also true, as a consequence, most will not surrender a deeply held personal belief for fear it could lead to their spiritual loss or death. There is nothing wrong with personal beliefs. I, for one, am deeply faithful and active in church. Each person finds meaning and purpose in their own way and that is how it should be. There is a difference between faith and scientific method and reason. Personal faith is not a problem unless it gets in the way of objective forensic investigation and examination.
      For example; using faith based reasoning (let's say using the Bible to prove a point), the premise of an argument and the conclusion are a matter of personal belief and subsequently often considered above criticism. Those who question the premises of such beliefs, religious and otherwise dogmatic, are labeled heretics or worse. I have been called an apostate for not subscribing to a heartland theory, a racist for objecting to a safe-place policy, a climate denier for even questioning global warming (which I know there is climate change, my interests is, is it really all just man made?), a racist and a bigot for disagreeing about kneeling as a protest, a chauvinist pig for thinking men and woman are different and we should use the appropriate public bathrooms.  
      In faith and personal belief, there is little room for critical thinking and no place for doubt. As a consequence, the nature of faith runs contrary to knowledge building. My faith tells me men and women are both children of God and are different from each other, science also tells me there is a biological difference too. We still have debates to how we should act and even appropriate ways to speak. For example is refusing to bake a cake with a message one does not believe in compelling speech?
      Questions, questions, questions... When is testify via faith and testify via science appropriate and acceptable and when is it not?
    • By Bernard Gui
      At the end of Alma 37, Alma gives his final instructions to his faithful young son Helaman. After encouraging him always to be obedient to God’s commandments and to pray to God continually, Alma uses the Liahona as an object lesson to teach Helaman how to obtain eternal life through following the words of Christ. Using analogy, Alma compares the Liahona, the temporal compass provided by God to Lehi, with the words of Christ, the spiritual guide provided to all by God. In this remarkable passage, Alma, like all good teachers, repeats this image three times, and like a good Nephite teacher, he uses a parallelism to increase the impact.
      Alma employs the alternate parallel form, one of the most common and effective forms of poetic parallelism in the Book of Mormon. It appears hundreds of times. An alternate consists of two or more lines that are repeated in parallel order. The simple alternate form is outlined ABAB. Extended alternates are outlined ABCABC, etc. 
       Alma uses three extended alternates in rapid sequence to instruct his son. 
       A   For behold, it is as easy to give heed to the word of Christ, 
          B   which will point to you 
              C   a straight course to eternal bliss, 
      A   as it was for our fathers to give heed to this compass, 
           B   which would point unto them 
               C   a straight course to the promised land.
      The A phrase compares the ease of heeding the words of Christ with the ease of looking at the Liahona. The B phrase describes the purpose of A which is to point the course. The C phrase declares the final destination of those who follow A, salvation and arrival at the promised land.
       A   For just as surely as this director did bring our fathers, 
         B   by following its course, 
             C   to the promised land, 
      A   shall the words of Christ, 
         B   if we follow their course,
             C  carry us beyond this vale of sorrow into a far better land of promise.
      The A phrase again compares the words of Christ with the Liahona, but in reversed order. The B phrase indicates what we should do with A – follow their directions, and the C phrase gives the destination of those who do B – the promised land and a far better place, eternal life. 
       A   for so was it with our fathers; 
         B    for so was it prepared for them,
            C   that if they would look they might live; 
      A   even so it is with us.
         B   The way is prepared, 
            C   and if we will look we may live forever.
      In this last alternate, Alma personalizes the analogies of the first two. The A phrase compares the Nephite fathers (Lehi and Nephi) with Alma and his son Helaman. The B phrase indicates that God prepared the ways of direction for all of them. The C phrase compares the physical salvation of the Nephite fathers by following the Liahona with the spiritual salvation promised to all of us who will look upon Christ.
      Alma concludes his instructions with another impassioned fatherly plea that his son rise to the greatness of his calling.
      This passage indicates deliberate logical planning on the part of Alma in giving crucial instructions to his son prior to his death. This is what Alma thought would be of most worth to his son - look to Christ. It gives us insight into the Nephite mind, especially that of a powerful and gifted leader. I am so grateful for the Book of Mormon and the beautiful intricacies that await in its pages for us to discover. (Thanks to Donald Parry for his marvelous edition of the Book of Mormon. Poetic Parallelism in the Book of Mormon: The Complete Text Reformatted. Maxwell Institute, 2007).
       Your comments are welcomed. 
       Here is the passage in context.

• By Five Solas
      1. Read the Book of Mormon
      2.  Ask God
      3. With a sincere heart
      4. With real intent
      5. Having faith in Christ
      Failure is not an option, if you believe Moroni.  First, you must read.  Next, you must follow with prayer while meeting his remaining 3 prerequisites.  Then the truth of the Book of Mormon will be manifested to you.  Full stop.
      Therefore if the truth is not manifested, the reason is as plain as the nose on your face: One or more of the prerequisites were not met.  There is no alternate possibility.  "It’s very simple"—as President Trump is fond of saying in his press conferences.
      5 possible ways to fail, and only 5.  So here is a question:  With LDS Church growth stalling and 70+% of millennials going inactive/leaving the LDS Church by age 20 (courtesy of Mormonleaks), which of the 5 do you think represents the greatest challenge?  Or are they all equally challenging?  Or do you think it's some combination of them that present difficulty?
      And while we’re on the question, how exactly does one go about achieving the last three prerequisites?  Would any LDS seriously admonish an investigator to read the Bible first in order to attain “faith in Christ” prior to attempting the Book of Mormon?
      --Erik
      Where did the Book of Mormon come from.  I constantly hear this idea argued from both apologetic and critical sides.  All in an attempt to explain how Joseph could have produced the Book of Mormon.  Yet, when it comes right down to it, both sides should be able to agree on some pretty basic historical facts from the evidence.  
      Joseph Smith dictated the content of the BoM to some scribes Nearly everyone should be able to agree on that statement, and I think that really explains it in a nutshell.  I was thinking about other figures in history that are revered for things they produced.  Newton, Einstein, Beethoven, Da Vinci, Michelangelo, etc.  Do anyone else spend so much time asking where they came up with their masterpiece works?  Where did Einstein get that amazing theory of relativity?  Where did Michelangelo get that amazing statue of David.  How could they have possibly produced these things?  Where did they come from?  
      I think we spend so much time looking for evidence, trying to find parallels, seeking to understand where the BoM came from, that we are missing the answer right in front of our faces and we should all be able to agree on.  The BoM came from Joseph Smith.  This is the clear and straightforward answer that both believers and nonbelievers should be able to agree on, and its the simple answer to a highly debated question.