Seriously No Politics ×

Ordain Women Group Prohibited From Protesting On Church Property

The only advert is from the Ordain Women site. What are you talking about?

And really you are checking out a woman to see if she has garments on? Don't you have anything better to do?

Wow.

I see no wow. I think that it is unfortunate that mormon groups attempt to fill the stereotype. Looking at the photos of the postmo site and this photo by OW, I see stereotype dressing. I don't know when this photo was taken, but all fit the stereotype of how a mormon woman is seen to dress by the outside world. But the reality is far different.

The only advert is from the Ordain Women site. What are you talking about?

And really you are checking out a woman to see if she has garments on? Don't you have anything better to do?

http://www.postmormon.org/exp_e/

I was writing about how such both in and out of the church attempt to attract the mormon crowd. All the pictures on this homepage fit nicely into the mormon imaging: clean cut, short hair for men etc..no piercings etc. No tattoos etc. Happy family photos. Imaging is very important to attract the mormon crowd.

Edited by why me

Do people complain that it s inappropriate for you to have a stereotypic lds avatar picture because you don't fit he stereotype

Yes. On the site that can't be named many posters did complain. They found it disgusting etc. I had the same photo there but no more.

Postmormon has nothing to do with the topic of ordainwomen. That you want to condemn someone so badly you go off topic to do it is simply amazing.

Let me try this again: it is very important for mormon groups to present the right imaging to attract the mormon crowd. The postmo site has such imaging to show mormons that if they have issues or if they have left, they are just like them. The photos show happy familes, clean cut men and women...all fitting the mormon image etc. This would certainly attract the wavering mormon crowd. The image fits nicely. Likewise for OW. It is very important for them to show women who are basically Molly Mormons in dress as showing the lds women that they are just like them. Of course it is a stereotype and not actually real. But it does fit the imaging that would attract active mormon women.

For the postmo site, the imaging fits nicely for wavering mormon familes...the photos look like that they can come from the Ensign.

Edited by why me

Maybe that should tell you something about what you are doing now.

But I am writing about a typical advertising strategy. It is quite well known in marketing that if a company or organization are marketing a product, they need to make the ad fit the people the company or organization wish to attract. And that is my point. Both sites have very good marketing strategies.

On the postmo site, all the people are picture perfect which is far from actually reality. Most of us are not picture perfect.

On the site that cannot be named, some of the posters hated Joseph Smith. Thus, the complaint to me. And yes, you do have point. It is an artist rendition of JS. And perhaps this artist rendition is not true. But it does attract people to JS. Handsome young man, nicely dressed, firm in his beliefs. But it is an artist's interpretation.

Edited by why me

But I am writing about a typical advertising strategy. It is quite well known in marketing that if a company or organization are marketing a product, they need to make the ad fit the people the organization wishes to attract. And that is my point. Both sites have very good marketing strategies.

On the postmo site, all the people are picture perfect which is far from actually reality.

I suspect there are a lot of nonpicture perfect lds out there compared to lds.org. Big shock.

I suspect there are a lot of nonpicture perfect lds out there compared to lds.org. Big shock.

Exactly. This is why it is good to have good critical thinking skills. The ability to see behind the marketing, or media messaging in very important. If I were to start a social action group within the lds church, I would have all the people dress like stereotype mormons would dress: white shirt, modest clothing, happy smiles, all looking like they have temple recommends.

However, in the meantime, I would be wearing blue jeans to church which I have done on occasions with a flannel shirt.

So now what they are doing is perfect okay. Finishing circling yet? I am getting dizzy.

No. Picture perfect does not mean okay. But it does mean good marketing. If i were marketing to a biker crowd, I would not market my product by showing clean cut men and women. I may have leather jackets, tattoos, blue jeans, biker boots etc complimented by a harley. All would be picture perfect for my marketing. I don't think that I would have clean cut guys and women in khakis and a polos unless of course, it was marketed to the yuppie crowd.

To take it further, Ralph Lauren is a great example of picture marketing. All the people pictured are successful, handsome, beautiful with fine homes, property, occasionally at a polo match or just enjoying the summer fun in their wonderful polo made clothes. I see no beer bellies, fat rumps etc. The message: to look rich, casual, elegant, to look successful, buy my clothes.

Likewise for the OW movment, the postmos etc. They are marketing to mormons so, dress the part for good marketing. However, the OW people also speak the part: we are active, we look to the GAs, we respect the church and Sister Kelly's video was definitely marketed to the mormon crowd: temple imaging, scripture study, leading the music at church, coming out of a church building. It was a good marketing video targeting her audience: I am you and so if you want to join me, please do.

Your post analyzing women's underwear is inappropriate, move on to something else.

Wow.  I just can't believe we are actually having a long conversation about women who disagree with Church Leadership dressing too Mormon.  I mean as the saying goes you just cant make this stuff up!  No wonder there is so much fumbling going on with regards to gender in the Church if members get into this kind of mindset.

We interrupt your regularly scheduled posting to note that this thread is over 1200 posts long. One wonders if that is some sort of record. Some of us don't know if we should be impressed or find it hilarious.

We new rejoin our regularly scheduled internet ravings, in progress. 

That is all.