Seriously No Politics ×

President Monson Issued A Court Summons? Is This For Real?

Honestly,

Isn't there just a wee bit in each of you that really would like President Monson to give a definitive answer to each of these charges?  Wouldn't it be wonderful for a prophet of God to declare emphatically exactly what the churches position is in each of these areas?  I know I would...

Edited by Johnnie Cake

Honestly,

Isn't there just a wee bit in each of you that really would like President Monson to give a definitive answer to each of these charges?  Wouldn't it be wonderful for a prophet of God to declare emphatically exactly what the churches position is in each of these areas is?  I know I would...

Even if he did  I wonder if Tom Phillips and Grant Palmer will repent and return?, maybe Pres. Monson should talk about repentance in conference in 2 months

Edited by Duncan

Honestly,

Isn't there just a wee bit in each of you that really would like President Monson to give a definitive answer to each of these charges?  Wouldn't it be wonderful for a prophet of God to declare emphatically exactly what the churches position is in each of these areas?  I know I would...

Yes, I think this could actually be very good for the church.

Now that's not very nice. Do you know Tom Phillips personally?

I have interacted with him and I think that is a fair assessment.

I think he's crazy and that's quite fair.

There is nothing to make of it. And Tom wonders why his family is not very happy with him.

Cannot blame them. It is one thing to have a nutty anti in the family; it is quite another for him to be so spectacularly bad at it.

No but of course you would. Fodder for you to pick apart, misrepresent, and twist. If I thought such answers would go only to those with intellectual curiosity and not include deranged bottom feeders obsessed with rhetoric in whom the desire for truth died out years ago then I think I could support the meeting. Only if it was voluntary and not due to the dullest most dunderheaded human ever to scrape together the mental wherewithal to correctly file with a court. I bet he had help.

There is nothing to make of it. And Tom wonders why his family is not very happy with him.

Oh, I know that these people are sincere, and apparently it has taken a long time and a lot of hard work to get this far.

I just don't know what to make of it, and am not sure how I feel about it.

The first thing my non mormon husband said to me when I told him, was "They must feel very bitter"

Although people decry the anger and bitterness some people feel when they learn a more nuanced version of church history, I actually do get it. It can be a bitter pill to swallow for many people and is one of the darker sides of correlation, which I do appreciate is gradually changing.

I hope there can be compassion for Tom, Steve and Chris in all this and that the reaction to them is christlike. They are very little people going against a very large and well funded corporation. I am concerned for them and their families.

Edited by Abulafia

Cannot blame them. It is one thing to have a nutty anti in the family; it is quite another for him to be so spectacularly bad at it.

I am rather torn about it all. In a way, I do have some pity for him. There must be a lot of bitterness deep inside a person who does this. But everything has a purpose. I happen to know that the church is growing in england even after all the problems from exmembers. So, there is something positive going on in england. I am sure that it rankles the exmembers there.

http://www.cumorah.com/index.php?target=view_other_articles&story_id=466&cat_id=30

Oh, I know that these people are sincere, and apparently it has taken a long time and a lot of hard work to get this far.

The first thing my non mormon husband said to me when I told him, was "They must feel very bitter"

Although people decry the anger and bitterness some people feel when they learn a more nuanced version of church history, I actually do get it. It can be a bitter pill to swallow for many people and is one of the darker sides of correlation, which I do appreciate is gradually changing.

I hope there can be compassion for Tom, Steve and Chris in all this and that the reaction to them is christlike. They are very little people going against a very large and well funded corporation. I am concerned for them and their families.

I modified my post before I saw this. You can go back and read it. I just think that it makes exmormons look foolish. I suppose that one can bring all religions to court for fraud. And that is the problem. Who can prove the existence of god? I think that Tom's family who I understand are active will probably react accordingly. I do have pity for Tom. But I also think that the exmormon crowd that you hang around with in the land of rain needs to do a rethink before you all lose credibility.

Edited by why me

As I say, U.S. courts just loooove hearing litigation regarding religious truth claims.  I'm sure that's as true in Germany and France as it is anywhere else. :huh::unsure::unknw:

;)

This litigation definitely IS absurd. Hopefully ANY court of law would dismiss any attempt to "try" the leader of any Faith---and tithing is always willfully given. It would be fun if the court slapped this man back with some sort of frivolous lawsuit charge....

I didn't know we taught that human life began 6000 years ago with two people?  Or was that a super secret personal epistle from Thomas S. Monson to the disenfranchised tithe payers in England?

I hope there can be compassion for Tom, Steve and Chris in all this and that the reaction to them is christlike.

I agree completely and would like to be the first to be christlike:

"Woe unto ye, pathetic wannabe lawyers, losers, morons. A generation of toothless vipers shall not escape the damnation of hell!"

There, hope that helps.

I modified my post before I saw this. You can go back and read it. I just think that it makes exmormons look foolish. I suppose that one can bring all religions to court for fraud. And that is the problem. Who can prove the existence of god? I think that Tom's family who I understand are active will probably react accordingly. I do have pity for Tom. But I also think that the exmormon crowd that you hang around with in the land of rain needs to do a rethink before you all lose credibility.

Oh stop it whyme. I hang around with a lot of people online, including very active LDS.

"Woe unto ye, pathetic wannabe lawyers, losers, morons. A generation of toothless vipers shall not escape the damnation of hell!"

There, hope that helps.

Shame on them for wishing table tippings and lashings on them.   8P

There, hope that helps.

Well here's betting that if there is a reaction from the first presidency (and I really doubt there will be) that it *will* be kind and christlike, which is probably why they are apostles and general authorities and you are not.

Well here's betting that if there is a reaction from the first presidency (and I really doubt there will be) that it *will* be kind and christlike, which is probably why they are apostles and general authorities and you are not.

"I was playing the part of God in a play, and being a method actor, I really tried to get into the part all day long.  Someone cut me off in traffic so I told him to be fruitful and multiply with himself.  But not exactly in those words."

At the moment I don't have much for them, though tons for their families.

I have much more sympathy for the old man they are threatening (as empty as that threat is most likely) with possible imprisonment:

"According to the Fraud Act 2006, the maximum penalty for the allegations contained in the summons is ten years imprisonment and a fine, for each offence. (See Section 3 (b)on conviction on indictment, to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 10 years or to a fine (or to both).)"

It will be interesting to see how this plays out as some have mentioned, and it may go nowhere but sometimes it is these sorts of things that give people a view to the trends that are taking place within the church that they wouldn't have known about otherwise.

The ramifications of knowing about those trends can then grow to have significant impact. For instance, since the trouble in Sweden and the possibility of similar suits as with the UK, happening in Germany and France, now this leads me to wonder if the church in Europe is experiencing much more difficulty than we might be aware of? 

Sometimes people get more encouraged when they know they're not fighting the battle alone and more possibilities arise that weren't available before.

I hope there can be compassion for Tom, Steve and Chris in all this and that the reaction to them is christlike. They are very litrle people going against a very large and well funded corporation. I am concerned for them and their families.

This sort of thing is only the beginning of what's going to be a very ugly period in LDS and world history. Those who want to bring the Church down are going to get more and more frustrated, angry and obsessed as the Kingdom continues to roll forward despite their most passionate and diligent efforts.

Eventually it's going to get to the point where the Church is so despised throughout the world that disparate organizations, forces and movements are going to unite their efforts to destroy the Latter-day Saints. They will desperately do anything they can to try to prove the prophecies regarding the ultimate triumph of the LDS Church are false. They will fail in their efforts again and again till they become the embodiment of the very evil they thought they were fighting against. This will be a time of great tribulation and testing for the Latter-day Saints.

Eventually their efforts will fail because great heavenly power will be poured out upon the saints, making them more than equal to the task of defending the Church and the cause of truth. Finally, in ultimate frustration, those formerly united to destroy the saints will temporarily give up on their quest to destroy the LDS Church and  will turn on each other until they all fall into the very pit they digged for the Latter-day Saints.

What follows are two of the prophecies of Nephi from which I've drawn my conclusions:

3 And that great pit, which hath been digged for them (the saints) by that great and abominable church, which was founded by the devil and his children, that he might lead away the souls of men down to hell—yea, that great pit which hath been digged for the destruction of men shall be filled by those who digged it, unto their utter destruction, saith the Lamb of God; not the destruction of the soul, save it be the casting of it into that hell which hath no end.

4 For behold, this is according to the captivity of the devil, and also according to the justice of God, upon all those who will work wickedness and abomination before him. (1 Nephi 14)

And the second prophecy:

12 And it came to pass that I beheld the church of the Lamb of God, and its numbers were afew, because of the wickedness and abominations of the whore who sat upon many waters; nevertheless, I beheld that the church of the Lamb, who were the saints of God, were also upon ball the face of the earth; and their dominions upon the face of the earth were small, because of the wickedness of the great whore whom I saw.

13 And it came to pass that I beheld that the great mother of abominations did gather together multitudes upon the face of all the earth, among all the nations of the Gentiles, to fight against the Lamb of God.

14 And it came to pass that I, Nephi, beheld the power of the Lamb of God, that it descended upon the saints of the church of the Lamb, and upon the covenant people of the Lord, who were scattered upon all the face of the earth; and they were armed with righteousness and with the power of God in great glory.

15 And it came to pass that I beheld that the wrath of God was poured out upon that great and abominable church, insomuch that there were wars and rumors of wars among all the nations and kindreds of the earth.

16 And as there began to be wars and rumors of wars among all the nations which belonged to the mother of abominations, the angel spake unto me, saying: Behold, the wrath of God is upon the mother of harlots; and behold, thou seest all these things—

You will be removed if you hijack the thread with sermons.

Teddy those prophecies could have described Joseph's day as well as some future series of events.  I think we go through cycles where our own pride or the jealousy of others creates opposition.  

However the lesson in all of this is to stand in holy places, hold to the iron rod (the word of God) so that we don't find ourselves on the opposite side of what we once believed was our source of strength and blessings.