Seriously No Politics ×

First Time Temple-Goer

Jazzdreamer

I'm so nervous first off, going tomorrow. What do I wear tomorrow?! Do I need to bring anything? I'm doing baptisms for the dead...

Bring the Spirit, wear "church clothes," make sure you have your temple recommend, and bring combs or brushes to style your hair because it's going to get wet.

Hopefully the nerves come from anticipation and not from trepidation (fear).  If the latter, I'm sure your Heavenly Father will lessen your trepidation if you make it a matter of prayer.  Remember that everyone is there to help you, and they all want you to have a wonderful experience.  Relax. :)  (Sometimes easier said than done, I know, but ...) I'm sure you'll do great!  And depending on how many people are serving as proxy in your group, 10-12 people who are anxiously waiting on the other side of the veil in the spirit world for these ordinances to be performed will be very happy that you went to the Temple that day!  Except for a couple of added phrases, it's exactly like your own baptism which took place not so very long ago.

We'll look forward to your report of your experience here.  I'm sure it'll be a positive one. :)

Your Brother in Christ,

-Ken

Edited by Kenngo1969

I second Kengos #6, "relax". That's probably the best single piece of advice I ever got from anyone to go to the temple. you'll receive plenty of aid and just go with what you're instructed to do. Temple workers are dedicated to making your experience at the temple as enjoyable as possible. Keep a prayer in your heart and as you keep going, even to receive your own endowments and after that still, "relax" and bit by bit the doctrines of the temple will come to life to you and you'll learn more about Heavenly Father's plan for us all and for you specifically.

Oh, and the advice on bringing combs is top notch as well. :)

I second Kengos #6, "relax". That's probably the best single piece of advice I ever got from anyone to go to the temple. you'll receive plenty of aid and just go with what you're instructed to do. Temple workers are dedicated to making your experience at the temple as enjoyable as possible. Keep a prayer in your heart and as you keep going, even to receive your own endowments and after that still, "relax" and bit by bit the doctrines of the temple will come to life to you and you'll learn more about Heavenly Father's plan for us all and for you specifically.

Oh, and the advice on bringing combs is top notch as well. :)

Good morning, Jazz...

What temple will you be going to?   Darren is correct... the temple workers are soooo helpful in every way.   You should be at the temple by now... I'm excited for you... I was a temple worker every Friday for six years in the Portland, OR temple, and one of my favorite assignments was the baptistry.  Not only is it beautiful, but there is a peaceful and loving spirit in the temple... no need to be nervous...

GG

Well I'm very upset...I was supposed to go to the Boston temple...I didn't go. I've never in my entire existence with my iPhone have a problem with my alarm but...I had a problem with it I guess. I turned my alarm on...but it never went off. I woke up at 8:30 panicked, checked my alarm and it was set to off. I'm in shock mode at the moment.

Well I'm very upset...I was supposed to go to the Boston temple...I didn't go. I've never in my entire existence with my iPhone have a problem with my alarm but...I had a problem with it I guess. I turned my alarm on...but it never went off. I woke up at 8:30 panicked, checked my alarm and it was set to off. I'm in shock mode at the moment.

That's really too bad... but there will be another time, hopefully soon.  Ask your bishop... explain what happened.  I'll have to look and see what Boston temple looks like... our Portland temple is beautiful... of course they all are actually.

GG

That's really too bad... but there will be another time, hopefully soon. Ask your bishop... explain what happened. I'll have to look and see what Boston temple looks like... our Portland temple is beautiful... of course they all are actually.

GG

It is :( but I'll be ready for the next time...I also got my period this morning so being dunked probably wouldn't have been very enjoyable...so I guess that's a plus...still I'm upset about it :(

The Boston one is gorgeous. I haven't looked at the Portland one!

Hey one of the new mishies in my area is from Oregon! :)

Ohhh. :sad:  Condolences.  There will be other days, though.  My brother, who was paralyzed from the chest down in an accident a couple of years ago and is in a care center, was going to go do confirmations for the dead (baptisms would be quite a feat for someone in his position), but, as you can imagine, preparing and being transported is quite an undertaking for him, and they couldn't get him ready to go in time. Since then, he's received the Melchizedek Priesthood and is anticipating receiving his own Endowment.  Hopefully they'll be able to work out all of the logistics for him.  Hopefully, you both will get another opportunity soon! :)

P.S.:  Sister Jazz, how far are you from your closest Temple?  ("Sister Jazz" ... Hey!  I like it!  It reminds me of my favorite NBA basketball team!  They're in for a rough ride this year, though! :huh:  Oh, well!  I like to say I was a Jazz fan before the Jazz deserved any fans, so I can't jump ship this year ...)

Edited by Kenngo1969

Ohhh. :sad: Condolences. There will be other days, though. My brother, who was paralyzed from the chest down in an accident a couple of years ago and is in a care center, was going to go do confirmations for the dead (baptisms would be quite a feat for someone in his position), but, as you can imagine, preparing and being transported is quite an undertaking for him, and they couldn't get him ready to go in time. Since then, he's received the Melchizedek Priesthood and is anticipating receiving his own Endowment. Hopefully they'll be able to work out all of the logistics for him. Hopefully, you both will get another opportunity soon! :)

P.S.: Sister Jazz, how far are you from your closest Temple?

Aww hey congrats to him!! :) <3 and I hope they can!!!

All temples are three hours away from me lol -palmyra, Boston and the one in NYC -.-

It is :sad: but I'll be ready for the next time...I also got my period this morning so being dunked probably wouldn't have been very enjoyable...so I guess that's a plus...still I'm upset about it :sad:

The Boston one is gorgeous. I haven't looked at the Portland one!

Hey one of the new mishies in my area is from Oregon! :)

Wow. I just got another argument in favor of sprinkling.

Think of how you might prepare to go to a public swimming pool and what you might need to bring along (besides a towel since they have those, though you might want one just to wrap the small amount of wet clothing in though I think a plastic bag would probably be enough and take up less room).

I can't tell from your picture if you have long hair or not, if you do, you might think of putting it in a braid or something.  When you are baptized for yourself, making things 'streamlined' isn't much of an issue, but when you are doing it multiple times, you want to make it as convenient for everyone as possible and that includes keeping one's hair from getting all knotted up and such.

It has been so long since I've done baptisms for the dead, I can't remember if there are showers or not so one can wash one's hair afterwards and put conditioner in it if one needs that sort of thing to keep combing it from being a horrible experience (I do not do long hair these days because my straight, fine and tons of it hair tangles just by looking at it and I am a wimp for combing it out when knotted).

If it is going to be a long time before your ward does it again, you might see if another ward in the area is going to go sooner and if you can 'hitchhike' with them. :)

I can't tell from your picture if you have long hair or not, if you do, you might think of putting it in a braid or something.  When you are baptized for yourself, making things 'streamlined' isn't much of an issue, but when you are doing it multiple times, you want to make it as convenient for everyone as possible and that includes keeping one's hair from getting all knotted up and such.

I can't remember if there are showers or not so one can wash one's hair afterwards and put conditioner in it if one needs that sort of thing to keep combing it from being a horrible experience

:)

In the Portland baptistry, we had white fabric stretchy thingys for the girls to pull their long hair into a pony tail... because the hair is supposed to be submerged also and that keeps it from floating up...

We also had 4 showers the girls could use... Some girls only do confirmations depending on their personal situations.   So timing is a consideration when planning to do baptisms.

Your ward or branch should have an adult meet with the youth prior to a temple trip to explain about what to take, etc etc.

GG

Thank you! Should I be bringing a few towels?

Study the markings on the church clothes you wear and

ask yourself what they mean and where they came from.

Gail

You are out of the thread.   You are establishing a pattern--keep the goading about temple matters out of social hall if you want to stay on the board.