Sign in to follow this  
VideoGameJunkie

3 Levels Of The Celestial Kingdom

So it's common knowledge that there are 3 Kingdoms you can go to after you die: Celestial Kingdom, Terrestrial Kingdom, and Telestial Kingdom. There are 3 levels within the Celestial Kingdom itself, so I'm wondering if anyone knows for sure who goes to what level of the Celestial Kingdom? This is my guess:

Highest level- Sealed through marriage in the temple

2nd level- Endowed in the temple

Lower level- Baptized

Does anyone think differently?

So it's common knowledge that there are 3 Kingdoms you can go to after you die: Celestial Kingdom, Terrestrial Kingdom, and Telestial Kingdom. There are 3 levels within the Celestial Kingdom itself, so I'm wondering if anyone knows for sure who goes to what level of the Celestial Kingdom? This is my guess:

Lower level- Baptized

Yes - lower level are endowed people who are not married. No one knows what the second level is. 

So it's common knowledge that there are 3 Kingdoms you can go to after you die: Celestial Kingdom, Terrestrial Kingdom, and Telestial Kingdom. There are 3 levels within the Celestial Kingdom itself, so I'm wondering if anyone knows for sure who goes to what level of the Celestial Kingdom?

As assigned by Jesus Christ.  What ever you may have accomplished means nothing without his stamp of approval.

I call it more of a three degrees of progression in heaven. Because all saved are endowed I am betting that it has to do with degrees of the priesthood one has attained. I believe that even the lowest celestial degree has married couples.

As far as I know, the only "doctrinal" info we have on the issue is D&C 131:

1 In the celestial glory there are three heavens or degrees;

2 And in order to obtain the highest, a man must enter into this order of the priesthood [meaning the new and everlasting covenant of marriage];

3 And if he does not, he cannot obtain it.

4 He may enter into the other, but that is the end of his kingdom; he cannot have an increase.

Based on the time and place this revelation was given (Nauvoo 1843), I suspect it was meant to be understood as the following:

Celestial Kingdom:

1. Polygamously Married Saints

2. Monogamously Married Saints

3. Unmarried Saints

Our current teachings make a hash of the "three degrees of the Celestial Kingdom" idea, since we believe that monogamous couples can get every blessing available to polygamous ones, and that unmarried saints will have a chance to get married later.

So at the very most, there would be two degrees of the Celestial Kingdom:

1. Married People

2. Single people who achieved Celestial Glory, but willfully turned down the offer of being sealed to someone and attaining the blessings of level 1.

Can't imagine what the third degree could be in the current LDS scheme of things.

I'm single right now, but endowed and worthy so I always wonder where I would go if I died right now.

I'm single right now, but endowed and worthy so I always wonder where I would go if I died right now.

In my opinion only... if you continue to live the gospel, remaining worthy, and if you died tomorrow, you would qualify to be in the Celestial Kingdom at least, with access to the presence of God and Christ... What level within the Celestial Kingdom I'm not certain except for not being in the highest level because that takes the temple ordinance of marriage/sealing. 

GG

Lower level- Baptized

You think the same way I do.

I highly doubt it's all so neatly organized. My guess is there are more "levels" and flexibility than we know or can understand. Paul's reference to resurrected bodies as the sun, moon, and stars as well as Joseph Smith & Sidney Rigdon's vision, etc. I think are obviously samples of the big picture to give us some clue that "what a man sows, that shall he also reap" and not a comprehensive study of the topic.     My opinion, anyway. 

Lower level- Baptized

From D&C 131: “In the celestial glory there are three heavens or degrees; And in order to obtain the highest, a man must enter into this order of the priesthood [meaning the new and everlasting covenant of marriage]; And if he does not, he cannot obtain it. He may enter into the other, but that is the end of his kingdom; he cannot have an increase.”

Here's how I see it: In order to obtain the highest glory or degree, we must enter the new and everlasting covenant of marriage. If we enter into the other [covenant of marriage for time only], we cannot obtain it [the highest glory]. In these verses, the kingdom is not the level of glory, but the marriage itself (the couple’s kingdom). If their kingdom is “new and everlasting,” it is of the highest degree in the celestial glory, and if it is for time only, eternity is the end of it. I suppose celestial individuals that thus become or remain single are given one of the other (in this scripture, "two"), lesser degrees according to what they are willing to receive.

Earth life marriage in the Temple is not a requirement for the highest degree of the Celestial Kingdom. God will NOT deny you ANY righteous desire of your heart.

Highest Level: Exalted Couples

Next Highest: Men without a sealing

Lowest: Women without a sealing

There, glad I could work that out for you. I need to run away and hide now before someone points out my chauvinism. Bye

Earth life marriage in the Temple is not a requirement for the highest degree of the Celestial Kingdom. God will NOT deny you ANY righteous desire of your heart.

That's a good thing to hear.

Lower level- Baptized

I wish it was that simple.

These may be the high-school prerequisties for getting into college but there is a bit more involoved in getting your phd.

And remember we also have work for the dead.

I wish it was that simple.

These may be the high-school prerequisties for getting into college but there is a bit more involoved in getting your phd.

And remember we also have work for the dead.

Well then I wish the General Authorities would touch on the subject more. It's pretty important.

You would end up in the spirit world like the rest of us. If you have not met someone in this life, you will have opportunity to meet all sorts of people from among all of Gods creation. If you choose to be single, then you will have limitations. If you seek to be married, then the work will be completed for you on earth and you will carry on to eternal glory. Just imagine the political discussions around the dinner table if you are a republican and you end up falling in love with a Babylonian monarch. Just try to stick with dating earthlings. I don't want to sound racist but no aliens please. I just don't trust them.

It has been stated over and again that if you are worthily seeking a mate and have not yet found someone, you will have a chance in the eternities to be sealed and continue in your progression.

Single sisters have been told that again and again and it applies just as much to brethren as sisters.  You are judged for the direction you are traveling in, not how far you are along the path.

There is no absolute "list" of requirements for the Celestial Kingdom- other than doing your absolute best. It is up to God to be your judge, and you will be judged based on the contents of your heart- so don't worry about it, as long as you are doing your best.

It has been stated over and again that if you are worthily seeking a mate and have not yet found someone, you will have a chance in the eternities to be sealed and continue in your progression.

Single sisters have been told that again and again and it applies just as much to brethren as sisters.  You are judged for the direction you are traveling in, not how far you are along the path.

There is no absolute "list" of requirements for the Celestial Kingdom- other than doing your absolute best. It is up to God to be your judge, and you will be judged based on the contents of your heart- so don't worry about it, as long as you are doing your best.

Thank you! This is the best comment so far!

Lower level- Baptized

The Terrestial is full of non Valiant LDS; baptized by definition.

The Celestial is only for valiant LDS.

The Telestial is where those who didn't keep their second estate; never joined the LDS Church in this life or the next and/or were thrust down to hell.

Can't speak to the three degrees of the Celestial but here is an intriguing (and bound to be unpopular) thought:

Highest degree Celestial: Valiant LDS who are plural married.

Middle degree Celestial: Valiant LDS who are monogamously married.

Lowest degree Celestial: Valiant unmarried LDS.

Could that fit with Section 131?  I suppose it depends on how you interpret 132.  Perhaps degrees high and middle are both considered exaltation considering how section 131 mentions the three degrees of the CK but divides them into two when requiring the new and everlasting covenant.

Edited by BCSpace

The Telestial is where those who didn't keep their second estate; never joined the LDS Church in this life or the next and/or were thrust down to hell.

Can't speak to the three degrees of the Celestial but here is an intriguing (and bound to be unpopular) thought:

Could that fit with Section 131?  I suppose it depends on how you interpret 132.  Perhaps degrees high and middle are both considered exaltation considering how section 131 mentions the three degrees of the CK but divides them into two when requiring the new and everlasting covenant.

This idea has been advanced before, but there is one problem with it.  It was Brigham Young who first taught clearly that the lowest degree was for single LDS and that the top degree was for polygamous LDS.  But the problem is, he also taught that monogamous LDS who refused to become polygamous LDS when given the opportunity would then lose the blessing of their one spouse and be demoted to the lowest degree as single.

So the Middle degree being monogamous LDS goes against the teachings of Brigham who clarified the top and bottom degrees first.

So the Middle degree being monogamous LDS goes against the teachings of Brigham who clarified the top and bottom degrees first.

What I like about some of the teachings of BY is that they are not doctrinal, not being published by the Church, so I don't have to worry about going against those particular teachings.  But that middle degree is interesting as it doesn't seem to be defined.

Could that fit with Section 131? I suppose it depends on how you interpret 132. Perhaps degrees high and middle are both considered exaltation considering how section 131 mentions the three degrees of the CK but divides them into two when requiring the new and everlasting covenant.

Well I'll take the middle degree, thank you very much! ;) Edited by Tacenda

How can plural married get you the highest degree when it's not allowed in the church anymore?

How can plural married get you the highest degree when it's not allowed in the church anymore?

It was an official teaching in the days of Brigham Young & John Taylor that only plural marriage can get you into the top degree of the Celestial Kingdom.  This teaching was removed over the course of time after the manifesto and officially refuted in the days of Heber J. Grant and now it is taught that Temple Marriage is sufficient to enter the top degree of the Celestial Kingdom.

It's no longer Church doctrine so don't mind those of us who like to pull out the older teachings for fun.

It is definitely current official doctrine.  We just don't practice it mortality at the moment.  But we do practice it eternally.  For example, a man may be sealed in this life to more than one woman under certain circumstances.

I'm certainly not agitating to bring it back, but the Church certainly hasn't disavowed prior authorized plural marriages nor has it used the sealing power to unbind them.  Jacob 2:30 shows us that God authorizes it from time to time in mortality so no one can claim with any real certainty it never will come back in mortality.

The standard doctrine of the Church is monogamy, as it always has been, as indicated in the Book of Mormon (Jacob chapter 2): “Wherefore, my brethren, hear me, and hearken to the word of the Lord: For there shall not any man among you have save it be one wife; and concubines he shall have none. … For if I will, saith the Lord of Hosts, raise up seed unto me, I will command my people; otherwise they shall hearken unto these things.” 

In other words, the standard of the Lord’s people is monogamy unless the Lord reveals otherwise.  Latter-day Saints believe the season the Church practiced polygamy was one of these exceptions.

http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/ldsnewsroom/eng/background-information/polygamy-latter-day-saints-and-the-practice-of-plural-marriage

Edited by BCSpace