Sign in to follow this  
rongo

Youth Treks

I brought this up before, but never received a satisfactory answer....

Does trek planning include the creation of moderately "stressful" situations or controlled emergencies where 

prayer, fasting, or blessings are suggested by leaders? I know of several situations in local

treks where that happened. Is that a general practice?

I compare it with set-up activities at the BSA Woodbadge training that are intended to

create certain situations and emotional responses. I didn't appreciate being manipulated like that.

Back in 2007, the youth in my stake went on a trek.  While it seemed to be an overall positive experience, one aspect of the event was to have some of the young women care for a baby doll during the trek, and then at certain points they were told their "child" had died and they had to go bury it off the trail. I thought that was a little weird.

But no fake prayers or fasting.

Edited by cinepro

Back in 2007, the youth in my stake went on a trek.  While it seemed to be an overall positive experience, one aspect of the event was to have some of the young women care for a baby doll during the trek, and then at certain points they were told their "child" had died and they had to go bury it off the trail. I thought that was a little weird.

To me it sounds like a little much.  That illustrates what I was talking about in the "just like the pioneers felt".  No way burying a doll can any where near approximate burying your child.  That must have been concocted by someone who has not experienced the loss of a child, no matter when.  I find it offensive.

Edited by ERayR

I've heard from more than one source of that having happened during treks at Martin's Cove. One person I talked to said it didn't work for her stake's trek. Some of the youth began using the baby doll as a football. Obviously, they felt no attachment to it when the time came for the doll to "die."

On the trek I observed at Martin's Cove, they didn't do the baby doll thing, so perhaps this has been discontinued.

Edited by Scott Lloyd

I've heard from more than one source of that having happened during treks at Martin's Cove. One person I talked to said it didn't work for her stake's trek. Some of the youth began using the baby doll as a football. Obviously, they felt no attachment to it when the time came for the doll to "die."

On the trek I observed at Martin's Cove, they didn't do the baby doll thing, so perhaps this has been discontinued.

I certainly hope so.

I don't know the answer to the OP, so I hope this won't be considered irrelevant.  I was very moved by this, Garden Girl.  Thank you! I think perhaps whether one has ancestors who crossed the plains affects one's perspective of the utility of such activities.  I do have ancestors who crossed the plains with handcarts, so it was more significant to me than perhaps it might be to others.  

I, too, have a great-great grandmother who came by handcart after coming in by ship from Sweden.  My grandmother told the story of her grandmotther who walked and walked...barefeet often.  It is also a story of how they had not expected that they would have to do this and had thought where they would land would be the land of milk and honey,  I admire them..love them...and hope that they will still embrace me.