Seriously No Politics ×

The Latest Anti-Mormon Deception: "Futuremissionary.Com"

I still don't get these "helpful" Websites about Mormonism: why the covert approach? Just reveal your Real World ID and contact information. Put up or don't talk. Who in their right thinking would trust anonymity? Sandra Tanner, now there is a real name and face and place where you can talk to her. If you are a leader you have to be a real person in plain view. If you can't do that much, then don't bother, this kind of "job" isn't for you....

I still don't get these "helpful" Websites about Mormonism: why the covert approach? Just reveal your Real World ID and contact information. Put up or don't talk. Who in their right thinking would trust anonymity? Sandra Tanner, now there is a real name and face and place where you can talk to her. If you are a leader you have to be a real person in plain view. If you can't do that much, then don't bother, this kind of "job" isn't for you....

Are speaking from real experience or are you just suggesting how others should live?

This article titled "No Investigators, No Dinner" is a joke.

Rules for meal times vary from mission to mission, but more and more missionaries seem to be going home hungry. This is a result of the “No investigators, no dinner” policy. This basically means that missionaries are no longer allowed to have dinner at the houses of members unless there’s an investigator present.

There are two main reasons for this policy. First, Elders were spending too much time at the houses of people who don’t need conversion. Second, it’s a huge motivator to make sure you’re not only finding new prospects, but that you’re integrating them into the ward.

Critics argue that skipping meals essential kicks your body into starvation mode, leading to slower metabolism, and weight gain. On the other hand, weakening the body can strengthen the spirit. If your mission is one that skips dinner, be sure to keep a close eye on your physical as well as mental wellness. Let your mission president know immediately if your health starts to fail as a result of this rule. It’s natural to feel pressure to be obedient, but it’s important to remember that your health comes first.

Hello from FutureMissionary. I do honestly appreciate your critisisms. As I'm sure most of you know, showing up in the mission field is quite a shocker. All you ever hear is that it's the best 2 years, but most people show up not even realizing you work on Sundays. :) My goal was to present facts objectively without adding my own spin. I can definitely see how that seems overly negative. Great point about me not doing enough positive. This was more a result of me trying to tell missionaries what they don't already know. I'll get to adding more positive stuff asap.

Regarding the investigator FAQ's, I'm 100% open to better info and better answers if you have them. I did a ton of research to get as far as I did, but I'm sure I still have a long way to go. If you have any FAQ that you think needs better info, more info, or just better sources, please let me know and I'll make the change.

Again, I really do appreciate the critisism. Anything I can do to not be seen as 'anti', I will. Thanks!

Say you're not anti more often. That usually helps.

/s

Don't worry about it, bro. Most of our young people aren't so naive that they will fall for such antics and those who do will learn better through those kinds of experiences. As you say, they will encounter that stuff in the field. Thankfully we all have God to help us when we turn to him for his help even when some of our brothers and sisters are behaving badly. I was bombarded by anti material when I first became a member and I'm a lot better off now than I would have been without those experiences.

Tacenda,

Yes, I do think these people have a conscience. I doubt very, very much that they kick puppies, beat up old ladies, and so on. They've likely convinced themselves that what they're doing is right: that it's okay for them to use deception to fight what (they see as) a deception. It reminds me of D&C 10, where it says something like wo be to him that lies in order to catch another in a lie.

Their tactics are fundamentally dishonest. I'm talking with them of Facebook explaining why their tactics are wrong and asking that they consider changing them.

Don

Rules for meal times vary from mission to mission, but more and more missionaries seem to be going home hungry. This is a result of the “No investigators, no dinner” policy. This basically means that missionaries are no longer allowed to have dinner at the houses of members unless there’s an investigator present.

There are two main reasons for this policy. First, Elders were spending too much time at the houses of people who don’t need conversion. Second, it’s a huge motivator to make sure you’re not only finding new prospects, but that you’re integrating them into the ward.

Critics argue that skipping meals essential kicks your body into starvation mode, leading to slower metabolism, and weight gain. On the other hand, weakening the body can strengthen the spirit. If your mission is one that skips dinner, be sure to keep a close eye on your physical as well as mental wellness. Let your mission president know immediately if your health starts to fail as a result of this rule. It’s natural to feel pressure to be obedient, but it’s important to remember that your health comes first.

A lot of what was on this site made me irritated. Futuremissionary, excuse my lack of charity, but frankly, I don't buy it. Your little site is designed to destroy testimony and dissuade missionaries from serving, your protestations to the contrary notwithstanding. And this little slice of tripe is a perfect example. I served where branches were small and dinner appointments, with or without investigators, were few and far between. So what did we do when we had no dinner appointment? Well, we went back to the apartment and ate dinner! What a concept. Starvation mode, failing health, mental wellness??? Get real.

Again, I really do appreciate the critisism. Anything I can do to not be seen as 'anti', I will. Thanks!

FM,

It's good to have direct contact with you.

I never said you wouldn't do what you can to not be seen as anti. I just said that you were anti, and trying not to seem it. See the difference? ;-)

The site seems to try to add just a little bit of LDS-like content, to make the Trojan horse strategy complete. But I'm sorry, it isn't unclear to me what you're up to.

Rather than defend what you're doing, why don't you change it? Create an honestly, forthrightly critical site designed to give "the other side."

Deception is still deception, even if you see it being for a good cause.

If LDS kids want to seek out the data that anti-Mormons want to give them, that should be up to them. The decision shouldn't be made for them, through trickery, by you.

That's all I'm saying.

Don

A lot of what was on this site made me irritated. Futuremissionary, excuse my lack of charity, but frankly, I don't buy it. Your little site is designed to destroy testimony and dissuade missionaries from serving, your protestations to the contrary notwithstanding. And this little slice of tripe is a perfect example. I served where branches were small and dinner appointments, with or without investigators, were few and far between. So what did we do when we had no dinner appointment? Well, we went back to the apartment and ate dinner! What a concept. Starvation mode, failing health, mental wellness??? Get real.

I think it's obvious he has a long ways to go to show that he isn't just using this moment to get his site looked at more. A shameless promotion it seems. Perhaps he is just being intentionally deceptive in hopes doing so will get him more notoriety and thus more fans.

i can't tell but, yep, this piece is about as ridiculous as any I've seen. it demonstrates nicely that there is a very real lack of investigation and interest in truth on his part. Hopefully he remedies that.

Your mission was not like mine. We had to call in our District Leaders in order to survive. Without their help we would have gone without dinner, breakfast and lunch. It took six elders to sell all our copies of the Book of Mormon, in order to have money for food. I refer you to the "Norrlands Rebellion" , Swedish mission, 1965" President Fletcher defined the parameters.

Judasfreakingpriest Pa Pa, are you awake when you write?...

Pa Pa is on a net book or some such device that doesn't quite manage to do all that some of ours are able to do with a key pad, give him a break....

I read it and this is how I took what he said:

"There are a few "thinkers" out there to whom I speak of who once had testimonies, and they do not live to plow, sow and plant seeds of destruction. They think back to when they were pointing out how closed minded we are. Then you have Mormons arguing with one another, until some leave, others are banned and still others have limited accounts."

(that's as far as I got)

Here is the actual statement from Pa Pa:

"There are a few "Thinker(ing) here with who I speak who once had testimonies, and not live to plow, sow and plants the seeds of destruction. The think bank then pointing how closed minded we are. Then you have Mormons arguing wonder with another. Until so leave, others banneded still others with limit accounts. So suggesting others church it out is only making the chicken"

Your mission was not like mine. We had to call in our District Leaders in order to survive. Without their help we would have gone without dinner, breakfast and lunch. It took six elders to sell all our copies of the Book of Mormon, in order to have money for food. I refer you to the "Norrlands Rebellion" , Swedish mission, 1965" President Fletcher defined the parameters.

Nice to know there can be good reasons for missionaries to call in their District Leaders. Teamwork. What a concept.

I'm sure that this policy doesn't exist in every mission. That said, it existed in my mission, my wife's mission, and is still being practiced in several missions around the globe. Every member from the Prophet on down should be appaled by this policy. Not only is it unsafe, but it couldn't possibly be an effective motivator. If all my site ever did was put this practice to an end, I'd be happy. You say what you will about the rest of my site, but looking out for the safety of our young missionaries can't possibly be construed as anti.

Rather than defend what you're doing, why don't you change it?

If you read through my posts in this thread, you'll see that I haven't attempted to 'defend' my content. On the contrary I have already started to change parts of my content based on suggestions in this thread, including info about Joseph's anti-slavery platform. I'm always open to new information as it comes.

The only defense I've made is regarding the post about missionaries not eating dinner. I'll defend that one to the death. :)

It is also not true. I have had missionaries over and I have taken them out to eat. No problem at all. No one seems to be starving in my mission area. I think that the bigger problem is getting members to invite them over for dinner or lunch.

I'm sure that this policy doesn't exist in every mission. That said, it existed in my mission, my wife's mission, and is still being practiced in several missions around the globe. Every member from the Prophet on down should be appaled by this policy. Not only is it unsafe, but it couldn't possibly be an effective motivator. If all my site ever did was put this practice to an end, I'd be happy. You say what you will about the rest of my site, but looking out for the safety of our young missionaries can't possibly be construed as anti.

If you read through my posts in this thread, you'll see that I haven't attempted to 'defend' my content. On the contrary I have already started to change parts of my content based on suggestions in this thread, including info about Joseph's anti-slavery platform. I'm always open to new information as it comes.

The only defense I've made is regarding the post about missionaries not eating dinner. I'll defend that one to the death. :)

Your stiff neck is showing. Are you really sure you don't want to be open to someone who can help you to fix that?

It's really not that hard for any family to have either a non-member or less-active member present when serving dinner to the missionaries. All of us know someone in one of those categories, and offering good food for free is usually plenty of motivation for anyone.

Now if the Church made some rule about not being able to invite the same non-member of less-active member more than once when inviting the same missionaries, ,well, then there might be a problem. In my ward there are several in each category who will come any time when invited, so we have enough volunteers, but if they could only come once we'd have to get some new non-members or less-active members and always keep adding more just to make sure there was always someone different for the missionaries when they come. As it is now, though, there's really no need for you to try to scare anyone with the idea that they'll have trouble getting a free dinner.

I'm sure that this policy doesn't exist in every mission. That said, it existed in my mission, my wife's mission, and is still being practiced in several missions around the globe.

You will have to give us proof that this exists. I have not seen it in my mission area nor in other mission areas. The monthly sign up for family dinner invites on the ward board is always there. Do you have any proof that such a policy exists and please tell the mission areas where it does exist.

I think that futuremissionary missed the boat on this one. The policy in place states that female members cannot invite the male missionaries over unless there is a chaperone present. But this is also true if missionaries have a female investigators: there needs to be a member present for the discussion.

BTW "FutureMissionary" Welcome to MD&D...loved your webpage (my endorsement won't help endear you with the MD&D folks). While I appreciate what you are trying to accomplish...to innoculate the prospective missionary...personally I don't see it achieving that goal...if anything it will help create doubt and loss of faith in Mormonism's claims...however having said this...I do believe that these young 18 and 19 year old young adults have a right to know the truth...a truth that has not been taught them in their youth and the years leading up to their missions.

Many here have found ways to nuance these difficulties and maintain belief...me I was one of the causalties ot the information

I think that futuremissionary missed the boat on this one. The policy in place states that female members cannot invite the male missionaries over unless there is a chaperone present. But this is also true if missionaries have a female investigators: there needs to be a member present for the discussion.

You incite minutia while ignoring the facts. Dinner with members was discouraged while prosetlytizing was encouraged. The idea of eating dinner was tantamount to to finding investigators. It was defined, yet unspecific. Ingenious if not despotic.

While I appreciate what you are trying to accomplish...to innoculate the prospective missionary...personally I don't see it achieving that goal...if anything it will help create doubt and loss of faith in Mormonism's claims...

And this is the intent of the site: to cast doubt. Most information can be portrayed in a faith promoting way but that site seems to mimic MT. And that means it is a faith doubting site. Also, the founders seem to have a chip on their shoulder about the lds church. However, if they do mean well, they will need to change their information tactic by making it more faith promoting.

You incite minutia while ignoring the facts. Dinner with members was discouraged while prosetlytizing was encouraged. The idea of eating dinner was tantamount to to finding investigators. It was defined, yet unspecific. Ingenious if not despotic.

Well, as someone who has had missionaries over for dinner and have been out with them for lunch, I do not see this at all. I can only go by my experience and ask the futuremissionary guy for proof.

..I do believe that these young 18 and 19 year old young adults have a right to know the truth...a truth that has not been taught them in their youth and the years leading up to their missions.

I don't know. I do wish that they were more informed. But then again I think that many are informed about issues. And then some are not. But then again, if they would have read more, such as RSR and other books, they would be rather well informed. What should they know before they go on a mission? Maybe you can give us a summary of what you think that the missionaries should know about the truth.

You will have to give us proof that this exists. I have not seen it in my mission area nor in other mission areas. The monthly sign up for family dinner invites on the ward board is always there. Do you have any proof that such a policy exists and please tell the mission areas where it does exist.

My only 'proof' is that I experienced it, my wife experienced it, and so have several other people I've talked to. I certainly don't think this is a church policy. I'm guessing it's a decision made by each mission president on his own. Many of the RM's I spoke to went to Brasil so maybe it's just more common there.