Seriously No Politics ×

It can be read either way.

"23 And the Lord said: I will prepare unto my servant Gazelem, a stone, which shall shine forth in darkness unto light, that I may discover unto my people who serve me, that I may discover unto them the works of their brethren, yea, their secret works, their works of darkness, and their wickedness and abominations."

But if you can find an earlier edition of the Doctrine and Covenants, maybe one from the 1950's you will find the word Gazelam as a code name for Joseph Smith. There was a time when revelations that were published which referenced certain of the leaders of the church that code names were used as a security measure. If I understand it correctly, up to and including the 1821 edition, the code names were used exclusively, then afterward, the real names of the people were put in brackets to show who the code names were for. Later on, the code names were eliminated entirely.

But from that, I would say Gazelem in the Book of Mormon could be referring to Joseph Smith.

Glenn

I remember hearing during my mission that this was the name of Joseph Smith in the Adamic language....if I could give any possible source other than a fellow fat tie wearing overbearing missionary like myself I would, but I don't have anything.