Seriously No Politics ×

Fda Shutting Down Lds Canneries

cdowis

A recent email

While there have been rumors for several months that this would happen, it's now official!

Can anyone validate from the Church if this as true? It certainly appears to be.

ALL LDS Canneries east of the Mississippi will no longer be canning any food. The FDA, in their infinite, expert opinions--said with the greatest of sarcasm--has managed to FINALLY create such a set of conditions which are impossible for the LDS Church to comply with. (Given the financial standing of the LDS Church it's clear that this isn't a monetary issue and since they have been seriously committed to helping others be self-sufficient at great sacrifice to themselves for decades, it's clearly not a lack of commitment.)

I'm sure the FDA is mighty proud of themselves for FINALLY coming up with sufficient conspiring to get this done. They are clearly intent on stopping from ANY purchasing in bulk within two years in the LDS Canneries. At this point the LDS Canneries in SLC will need to pre-package foods and then send them East. So that means that more and more LDS members are going to need to volunteer to keep up with the workload.

Great article (from a non-LDS perspective) which starts to answer most immediate questions

http://www.preparednesspro.com/breaking-news-lds-canneries-halt-canning-2/

Not that I would be at all surprised to hear that the federal government made a decision which was arbitrary in any way, but a question I have is, why does this apparent edict only affect canneries of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in half of the country? Another question I have is, since perhaps a case could be made that such a decision seems arbitrary and capricious, why would the Church of Jesus Christ accept it "lying down"? While we're not given to blood-in-the-streets anarchy, and while we do believe in "turning the other cheek," why not seek legal redress, or at least, why not attempt to do so?

P.S.: Such a scenario would, just for starters, pose an Equal Protection problem under the United States Constitution: "You folks in this part of the country, just keep on doing things the way you've been doing them. We're not going to bother you. Buuuut, you folks in that part of the country, you can no longer can at your canneries." No court in the country (no, not even the Notorious Ninth Circuit) would allow such a state of affairs to stand if it were challenged. And none of the proffered reasons that I've seen for the absence of such a challenge hold water.

P.P.S: I'm one of the more conservative members of this Board politically, but Jones and the rest of this lady's alleged "sources" make me look like a New Dealer. ;)

They are clearly intent on stopping from ANY purchasing in bulk within two years in the LDS Canneries.
And yet everything that could have been canned at the canneries (besides one's personal foods one brought from home) can be purchased in bulk at the same prices according to the announcement from the Church that was sent out.

In the Times and seasons blog they have a statement from the LDS church debunking this.

Are you saying this not true? The Indianapolis cannery and Bishop's Storehouse was a major production and distribution centre and a shut down there could cause problems. We in Vermont seem to always be in running battles with the FDA which seems to have become a tool of the corporate food industry over the last twenty years.

That about sums it up..

Yeah they about make my ultimate earthly authority go cross eyed. I don't think I will share this with her if its true, she would go on a rant for days, even though she isn't happy with the Church canneries support of the inorganic and GMOS food suppliers. Small food producers are continually at war with the FDA which seems to be captive to the industrial food producers.

Are you saying this not true? The Indianapolis cannery and Bishop's Storehouse was a major production and distribution centre and a shut down there could cause problems. We in Vermont seem to always be in running battles with the FDA which seems to have become a tool of the corporate food industry over the last twenty years.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865579566/LDS-home-storage-centers-tweaking-cannery-policy.html?pg=all

From the article, has the 1 year storage changed to 3 months?

From the article, has the 1 year storage changed to 3 months?

There are many different recommendations and one does what one can. First, get a 72 hour kit that can be used in emergencies and is ready to go (in a backpack). Then when you can afford it, create a 3 month food supply. This is for those difficult times when ill health or employment problems arise. Then for those who can afford it, get a one year food supply that is rotated and used as a basis for living frugally. Too often LDS bought or collected food supplies - think several hundred pounds of wheat, but did not know how to use it or prepare it so that it could be a food staple in a home. The objective of having a food supply is to learn how to cook with the items in the food supply and an underlying principle of frugal living. There are no requirements, but members and all others are encouraged to prepare for difficult times.

To clarify --

The reference to "east of the Mississippi" is based on financial constraints. As I understand, the canneries in the east are not able to comply with those burdensome regulations.

To clarify --

The reference to "east of the Mississippi" is based on financial constraints. As I understand, the canneries in the east are not able to comply with those burdensome regulations.

According to whom?
"The church is not closing canneries and is not limiting the variety of goods available to church members," she said. The only thing being reduced over time is the number of locations at which members can purchase bulk food and can it themselves onsite.
Sounds like if there is any laws being enforced, it is to require properly trained individuals to do the canning at the cannery rather than just any member.

Sounds like if there is any laws being enforced, it is to require properly trained individuals to do the canning at the cannery rather than just any member.

When I lived in Indiana our Ward would go down and can. I remember one time about 50% of our batches got rejected by the supervisor. I think there might be something to be said for trained personnel. But given the number of unemployed members seems like that shouldn't be a major issue.

My husband came home with food poisoning yesterday....oh what fun! Did a midnight run to Walmart to pick up edibles. Also got about $300 worth of legos since he wasn't looking over my shoulder (it is at least two years worth of presents for both Christmas and b-day). Then stayed awake all night because I was too wired after getting him into bed. (He is not a good patient)

So now it feels like midnight and I am hopefully going to sleep soon....

My husband came home with food poisoning yesterday....oh what fun! Did a midnight run to Walmart to pick up edibles. Also got about $300 worth of legos since he wasn't looking over my shoulder (it is at least two years worth of presents for both Christmas and b-day). Then stayed awake all night because I was too wired after getting him into bed. (He is not a good patient)

So now it feels like midnight and I am hopefully going to sleep soon....

No fun.

I beg to differ, I took the heavy duty stuff that gives me light hallucinations at times, alters the way things look...kind of trippy. :P

Food poisoning was horrid, but that was yesterday and today he is just weak so it catching up on Dr. Who episodes.

A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing. Improperly canned foods are a real killer.

THere is nothing wrong with some heart healthy Botulism with your green beans.

I had one severe case of food poisoning. Put me in the hospital for a week. Felt too terrible to even think about TV.

Bad enough to land you in the hospital, that is bad. I recently returned from a 4 day cruise with a terrible stomach virus, not sure if food posioning or not. But food was the last thing I wanted. I didn't even put on my swimming suit, laid in bed almost the whole time. One night I missed the all you can eat Lobster! I did lose weight, but put it back again.

About the cannery, it will be a sad day if that's discontinued. Has anyone noticed though that there are several food storage companies popping up? I wonder how they stack up compared to the church canned food.

The Church has a first rate program for the basics, and some of the not so basics.

Outside of the Church here are a few places I use for my food storage needs.

Emergency Essentials... http://beprepared.co...CFYU5Qgod4zcACw

Wholesale Bulk Foods... http://www.bulkfoods.com/

Thrive... http://getprep.thrivelife.com/home

You can also pickup a few extra cans or maybe even a case of canned foods at your local grocery stores when there is a good sale price. Just makes sure you use and rotate your food storage. You'll be pretty miserable if you stored a tonne of wheat for an emergency and then find out you either didn't like whole wheat products, or your digestive systems wasn't used to all that roughage.

Archived