Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BCSpace

Scriptures: Magaret Thatcher Strikes A Blow Through Her Granddaughter

8 posts in this topic

[media=]

Strike again while the iron is hot.

Apropos of nothing, but she sounds American.

I am very incensed at how so many Britons reacted to Baroness Thatcher's death. She saved that country from economic ruin. Too bad the trade unions that were keeping the country down couldn't see that.

Isn't that a very unusual passage to be read at a funeral? Is there a reason it was chosen for her's?

Isn't that a very unusual passage to be read at a funeral? Is there a reason it was chosen for her's?

Not in the world I grew up, maybe because my family of all sides came from Great Britian, a few centuries ago.

She is American. She is the daughter of Thatcher's son's first wife (who, I think was American) and she lives in America.

I am very incensed at how so many Britons reacted to Baroness Thatcher's death. She saved that country from economic ruin. Too bad the trade unions that were keeping the country down couldn't see that.

As politics are not to be raised, I can't respond to this comment as I'd like. Suffice to say, she was the most polarizing politician we've probably ever had, and hopefully ever will.

She lives or grew up in Dallas. Is 19. At about the 58 second mark, I believe that's her mother or stepmother, brother, and father.

I am very incensed at how so many Britons reacted to Baroness Thatcher's death.

Me too.

Wondering the same thing. Was it one of Margaret's favorite verse sets? Was it Amanda's? Her father's/mother's? Was she inspired to read it? Etc.

Even though we don't know much about Amanda herself (at least I don't), my thinking in part for posting this video, besides the inspiring nature of it, was to show that we who are fighting the spiritual battle in this mortal world have allies not necessarily of our faith and that should help bear us up as the days sometimes seem evil and look to become more evil in the future.

Edited by BCSpace

In addition, you just gotta love that hat.

Not in the world I grew up, maybe because my family of all sides came from Great Britian, a few centuries ago.

You've reminded me that the directive for a funeral held in an LDS chapel is not only to remember the deceased but to insure the Gospel is taught.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Tony Frank
      Putting this out there for discussion. I know this is a long post, but I say that anyone who believes the Bible and believes in Jesus Christ, and who carefully reads this post, will know that the Bible proves the Book of Mormon is the word of God. (If you are a faithful Latter-day Saint, you will really like this post.)

In the Bible, 1 John, chapter 4, we can clearly read the criteria for true prophets and false in verses 1-3:

“Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God because many false prophets are gone out into the world.

“Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God:

“And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.”

Now that we know God’s criteria for knowing true prophets from false prophets, let’s see if the Book of Mormon prophets confess that “Jesus Christ is come in the flesh.”

600 years before the coming of the Savior, a Book of Mormon prophet named Nephi wrote that the Messiah of whom the prophets had spoken was the Son of God, and he declared, “The way is prepared for all men from the foundation of the world if it so be that they repent and come unto him.”

Lehi, another prophet, told his son Jacob, “There is no flesh that can dwell in the presence of God save it be through the merits, and mercy, and grace of the Holy Messiah, who layeth down his life according to the flesh and taketh it again by the power of the Spirit, that he may bring to pass the resurrection of the dead, being the first that should rise.

“Wherefore, he is the firstfruits unto God, inasmuch as he shall make intercession for all the children of men; and they that believe in him shall be saved.”

Nephi prophesied to his people, “Behold, they will crucify him; and after he is laid in a sepulchre for the space of three days, he shall rise from the dead with healing in his wings; and all those who shall believe on his name shall be saved in the kingdom of God. Wherefore, my soul delighteth to prophesy concerning him, for I have seen his day and my heart doth magnify his holy name.

“For according to the words of the prophets, the Messiah cometh in six hundred years from the time that my father left Jerusalem; and according to the words of the prophets, and also the word of the angel of God, his name shall be Jesus Christ, the Son of God.

“And now behold, I say unto you that the right way is to believe in Christ and deny him not; and Christ is the Holy One of Israel; wherefore ye must bow down before him and worship him with all your might, mind, and strength, and your whole soul; and if ye do this, ye shall in nowise be cast out.”

We read in the Book of Mormon that a King named Benjamin foretold the coming of the Savior about 120 years before his birth: “For behold, the time cometh and is not far distant, that with power, the Lord Omnipotent who reigneth, who was and is from all eternity to all eternity, shall come down from heaven among the children of men, and shall dwell in a tabernacle of clay, and shall go forth amongst men, working mighty miracles, such as healing the sick, raising the dead, causing the lame to walk, the blind to receive their sight, and the deaf to hear, and curing all manner of diseases.

“And he shall be called Jesus Christ, the Son of God, the Father of heaven and earth, the Creator of all things from the beginning; and his mother shall be called Mary.”

After King Benjamin finished his lengthy talk putting forth the precepts of eternal salvation, the people responded: “We believe all the words which thou hast spoken unto us; and also we know of their surety and truth because of the Spirit of the Lord Omnipotent, which has wrought a mighty change in us, or in our hearts, that we have no more disposition to do evil but to do good continually.”

Abinadi, another prophet, testified to wicked King Noah and his priests, “I say unto you that salvation doth not come by the law alone, and were it not for the atonement, which God himself shall make for the sins and iniquities of his people, that they must unavoidably perish, notwithstanding the law of Moses.

“For behold, did not Moses prophesy concerning the coming of the Messiah and that God should redeem his people? Yea, and even all the prophets who have prophesied ever since the world began—have they not spoken more or less concerning these things?

“Have they not said that God himself should come down among the children of men and take upon him the form of man and go forth in mighty power upon the face of the earth?

“And have they not said also that he should bring to pass the resurrection of the dead and that he, himself, should be oppressed and afflicted?

“I would that ye should understand that God himself shall come down among the children of men and shall redeem his people.”

Abinadi prophesied that the Lord would suffer temptation “and yieldeth not to the temptation but suffereth himself to be mocked, and scourged, and cast out, and disowned by his people.

“And after all this, after working many mighty miracles among the children of men, he shall be led, yea, even as Isaiah said, as a sheep before the shearer is dumb, so he opened not his mouth.

“Even so, he shall be led, crucified, and slain.”

Abinadi continued, “And thus God breaketh the bands of death, having gained the victory over death; giving the Son power to make intercession for the children of men.

“And now if Christ had not come into the world, speaking of things to come as though they had already come, there could have been no redemption.

“And if Christ had not risen from the dead, or have broken the bands of death, that the grave should have no victory and that death should have no sting, there could have been no resurrection.

“But there is a resurrection, therefore, the grave hath no victory and the sting of death is swallowed up in Christ.

“He is the light and the life of the world; yea, a light that is endless that can never be darkened; yea, and also a life which is endless that there can be no more death.

“And now, ought ye not to tremble and repent of your sins, and remember that only in and through Christ ye can be saved?”

Alma the elder, who believed the words of Abinadi, went among the people of King Noah teaching the words of Abinadi. He taught them about the resurrection of the dead and the redemption that would be brought to pass through the power, and sufferings, and death of Christ and his resurrection and ascension into heaven.

In due time, Alma returned to the land of Zarahemla and organized the Church of Christ among the Nephites throughout the land, and all those who desired to take upon them the name of Christ joined themselves to the Church.

Not long afterwards, the Lord spoke unto Alma these words: “Blessed is this people who are willing to bear my name; for in my name shall they be called; and they are mine.”

The Lord also said to Alma, “Thou art my servant; and I covenant with thee that thou shalt have eternal life; and thou shalt serve me and go forth in my name and shalt gather together my sheep.

“And he that will hear my voice shall be my sheep; and him shall ye receive into the church and him will I also receive.

“For behold, this is my church; whosoever is baptized shall be baptized unto repentance. And whomsoever ye receive shall believe in my name and him will I freely forgive.

“For it is I that taketh upon me the sins of the world; for it is I that hath created them; and it is I that granteth unto him that believeth unto the end a place at my right hand.

“For behold, in my name are they called; and if they know me, they shall come forth and shall have a place eternally at my right hand.

“And it shall come to pass that when the second trump shall sound, then shall they that never knew me come forth and shall stand before me. (That would include all those who have rejected the true gospel of Jesus Christ that he has restored in these latter days.)

“And then shall they know that I am the Lord their God, that I am their Redeemer; but they would not be redeemed.”

Alma the younger, after having gone about with the sons of Mosiah seeking to destroy the church of God, and after having had an angel appear unto him to admonish him of his iniquity, and after having been racked with the pains of eternal torment for three days, testified to the people, “I have repented of my sins and have been redeemed of the Lord; behold I am born of the Spirit.

“And the Lord said unto me: Marvel not that all mankind, yea, men and women, all nations, kindreds, tongues and people, must be born again; yea, born of God, changed from their carnal and fallen state to a state of righteousness, being redeemed of God, becoming his sons and daughters;

“And thus they become new creatures; and unless they do this, they can in nowise inherit the kingdom of God.”

Alma explained, “Unless this be the case, they must be cast off; and this I know, because I was like to be cast off.

“Nevertheless, after wading through much tribulation, repenting nigh unto death, the Lord in mercy hath seen fit to snatch me out of an everlasting burning, and I am born of God.

“My soul hath been redeemed from the gall of bitterness and bonds of iniquity. I was in the darkest abyss; but now I behold the marvelous light of God. My soul was racked with eternal torment; but I am snatched and my soul is pained no more.

“I rejected my Redeemer and denied that which had been spoken of by our fathers; but now that they may foresee that he will come and that he remembereth every creature of his creating, he will make himself manifest unto all.

“Yea, every knee shall bow, and every tongue confess before him. Yea, even at the last day, when all men shall stand to be judged of him, then shall they confess that he is God; then shall they confess, who live without God in the world, that the judgment of an everlasting punishment is just upon them; and they shall quake, and tremble, and shrink beneath the glance of his all-searching eye.”

King Lamoni, a Lamanite who found salvation thru the preaching of Ammon, proclaimed, “Behold, I have seen my Redeemer; and he shall come forth and be born of a woman, and he shall redeem all mankind who believe on his name.”

Aaron taught the Lamanites “concerning the coming of Christ, and also concerning the resurrection of the dead, and that there could be no redemption for mankind save it were through the death and sufferings of Christ and the atonement of his blood.”

Aaron also expounded unto Lamoni’s father that “since man had fallen, he could not merit anything of himself; but the sufferings and death of Christ atone for their sins through faith and repentance and so forth; and that he breaketh the bands of death, that the grave shall have no victory, and that the sting of death should be swallowed up in the hopes of glory.”

In Mormon’s narrative, he wrote, “Thus we see the great call of diligence of men to labor in the vineyards of the Lord; and thus we see the great reason of sorrow, and also of rejoicing—sorrow because of death and destruction among men, and joy because of the light of Christ unto life.”

Alma taught the Zoramites to “believe in the Son of God, that he will come to redeem his people, and that he shall suffer and die to atone for their sins; and that he shall rise again from the dead, which shall bring to pass the resurrection, that all men shall stand before him to be judged at the last and judgment day.”

Alma instructed his son Helaman to bring the message of salvation to the Nephites, stating, “Preach unto them repentance and faith on the Lord Jesus Christ; teach them to humble themselves and to be meek and lowly in heart; teach them to withstand every temptation of the devil with their faith on the Lord Jesus Christ.”

Just prior to the birth of the Savior, the Lord spoke to Nephi, this Nephi being the son of Nephi, who was the son of Helaman, and the Lord said, “Lift up your head and be of good cheer; for behold, the time is at hand, and on this night shall the sign be given, and on the morrow come I into the world to show unto the world that I will fulfil all that which I have caused to be spoken by the mouth of my holy prophets.”

After his resurrection and ascension into Heaven, the risen Savior appeared to the Nephites and the first thing he said was: “Behold, I am Jesus Christ, whom the prophets testified shall come into the world.

“And behold, I am the light and the life of the world; and I have drunk out of that bitter cup which the Father hath given me and have glorified the Father in taking upon me the sins of the world, in the which I have suffered the will of the Father in all things from the beginning.”

And after the Nephites fell to the earth in astonishment, the Savior said: “Arise and come forth unto me that ye may thrust your hands into my side, and also that ye may feel the prints of the nails in my hands and in my feet, that ye may know that I am the God of Israel and the God of the whole earth, and have been slain for the sins of the world.”

All of these scriptures and more are in the Book of Mormon. The Book of Mormon truly is a testimony of Jesus Christ written by prophets of the Lord Jesus Christ.

Again, the Biblical criteria for true prophets and false prophets is in 1 John, chapter 4, verses 1-3.

“Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God because many false prophets are gone out into the world.

“Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God:

“And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.”

Anyone who believes in Jesus Christ and believes what the Bible says will believe the Book of Mormon, and they will know that it is the word of God.

Give heed to the words of Nephi, a Book of Mormon prophet who wrote, “And if they are not the words of Christ, judge ye—for Christ will show unto you with power and great glory that they are his words at the last day; and you and I shall stand face to face before his bar; and ye shall know that I have been commanded of him to write these things.”

If you have carefully read every word of this post, then I ask do you agree that the Bible proves the Book of Mormon is the word of God?
    • By Coreyb
      Since this board is usually full of threads disputing about the scriptures I have a fun thread to get it all out in the open. So...
      What texts if any that are currently contained in the standard works would you drop if it were up to you? (For example D&C 132, Song of Solomon, Book of Abraham, those early personal D&C sections that are essentially all the same etc.)
      What texts would you add? (The Family: a proclamation to the world, The Lectures on Faith, anything by C. S. Lewis )
      I will start by dropping the Book of Dueteronomy
      Edit: this is intended for those who are believers in mormonism at least in some sense. Please don't come here and say " Drop everything but the Bible!"
    • By Uncle Dale
      Chris "Rollo" Romig (of the Michigan Romigs, not the Independence clan)
      graces the pages of the current issue of the New Yorker with a contribution
      entitled "In Search of the Great American Bible" -- illustrated with a snapshot
      of his last night's Marriott hotel room, nightstand drawer open, revealing...

...you guessed it -- that marvelous work and a wonder by I. Nephi, Bro. Mormon,
      librarian Moroni and a host of nameless chronicles who lived (or perhaps did not)
      amid the steamy jungles of Guatemala and the glacial moraines of the Empire State
      long before sailor Columbus was a gleam in his dad's eye.

Mostly the piece is an attempted review of Avi Steinberg's "Lost Book of Mormon,"
      and in that respect, at least, perhaps MD&D folks will be curious enough to look.

Iconoclast that I am, the line that caught my interest was:

>Steinberg rarely quotes directly from the Book of Mormon, which seemed odd until I tried to
      >read it myself. As exciting as the plot sounds in paraphrase, the actual text smothers it in
      >so many King Jamesian locutions that it’s barely discernable. No one’s ever claimed that the
      >Book of Mormon rivals the literary achievements of the Bible or the poetic grace of the Koran
      >in Arabic, but I was still surprised by the tedium.

Yeah -- don't feel too sorry for yourself, Mr. Romig -- I've had to wade through the thing
      something like forty times (and most of that in the even denser Palmyra original text).

But, for those of you interested in correcting the errors of the Gentiles, the book reviewer
      has shared his contact information on the web. Mayhap he'd welcome your response...

rolloroyce @ gmail.com

UD

"Royce" eh? Reminds me of the Rolls-Canardly:
      the Brit auto that rolls well enough downhill, but
      can 'ardly make it back up...
    • By Uncle Dale
      Those of you who occasionally take a look at the
      Interpreter - Journal of Mormon Scripture web-site,
      may find Chris Maisnik's vol 14 article of interest.

http://www.mormoninterpreter.com/where-in-cincinnati-was-the-third-edition-of-the-book-of-mormon-printed/

I'll not hog this thread with a long discussion of his work,
      but I am curious to see what others here might have
      to say. The on-line version is made up of excerpts
      from the full, published version (which is available as
      a pdf file for Interpreter subscribers).

The full version reproduces one of my old maps
      (compiled back when I was working on BYU's 1983
      Atlas of Utah) -- Here's my comment with the URL.

------------------

>I was pleased to see this article come to fruition.
      >Obviously a great deal of time and effort went into
      >the gathering and compilation of the historical
      >material presented by its author. Congratulations
      >are in order.
      >
      >Dale
      >
      >ps -- Since URLs at my websites are case-sensitive
      >in most web-browsers, the address for the Cowdery
      >family locations map Chris made use of is specifically:
      >http://olivercowdery.com/family/Cdrygen3.htm

------------------

Enjoy,

UD
    • By Uncle Dale
      What is "glory"...

Were I to ask this question of those who were "keeping watch
      over their flock by night," -- of Orson Pratt -- and of Aaron,
      brother of Moses -- how might their respective answers differ,
      one from another?

And -- do the Latter Day Saints have yet more light and truth
      to shed upon our understanding of this word (whose ancient
      meaning betokened both illumination and verity -- both light
      and perfection)?

"Oh Lord, I love the habitation of Your house And the place where Your glory dwells."

"and the glory of the Lord shone round about them: and they were sore afraid..."

"Great shall be their reward and eternal shall be their glory"

"Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord..."

"Soon thy towers will shine with splendor divine, And eternal thy glory shall be."

"I gotta home in Glory Land that outshines the sun..."

UD