Photo
- - - - -

Can Anybody Verify This For Me? "Pedophilia Is A Sexual Orientation Under Ca Bill"

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16 replies to this topic

#1 Nathair/|\

Nathair/|\

Barbarian Druid Mage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,171 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:10 PM

http://www.rethinkso...-under-ca-bill/

I've never heard of this website before, so I have no idea if they are being honest with me. I tried to find the bill on the Senate website with no luck.

The article states:

Under the bill’s language, a mental health counselor could be sanctioned if there was an attempt to get a pedophile or gay individual to change his behavior or speak negatively about their behavior as it relates to sexuality.

and

Republicans attempted to add an amendment specifying that, “pedophilia is not covered as an orientation.” However, the Democrats defeated the amendment. Rep. Alcee Hastings (D-FL) stated that all alternative sexual lifestyles should be protected under the law, and accordingly decided that pedophilia is a sexual orientation that should be equally as embraced as homosexuality.

(Italics are as present in the original. Colored text is my emphasis.)
"Myth" doesn't mean "untrue story," it means "story about
the things that really matter."--John Michael Greer

My LDS Druid blog My poetry The old gods are stirring, Time traces a spiral.

#2 calmoriah

calmoriah

Dulce de labris loquuntur, corde vivunt noxio.

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,596 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:21 PM

http://leginfo.legis...201120120SB1172

I did a "find" on "pedophile" and variations and nothing came up.

(a) Being lesbian, gay, or bisexual is not a disease, disorder, illness, deficiency, or shortcoming. The major professional associations of mental health practitioners and researchers in the United States have recognized this fact for nearly 40 years.

Edited by calmoriah, 03 April 2013 - 02:24 PM.

When you climb up a ladder, you...begin at the bottom...ascend step by step, until you arrive at the top...so it is with the principles of the Gospel--you must begin with the first...go on until you learn all the principles of exaltation. But it will be a great while after you have passed through the veil before you will have learned them. It is not all to be comprehended in this world. Joseph Smith
UMW forever!

#3 USU78

USU78

Dr. Pepper Addict

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,953 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:27 PM

This is a wedge attack upon churches, their homosexual-outreach and -ministries, and the mental health professionals who aid them.

If somebody wants out, they're entitled to get out. Criminalizing the effort is just another club in the hands of trendylefty government wonks to beat upon churches with.
In the immortal words of? Socrates...I DRANK WHAT???!!!

#4 calmoriah

calmoriah

• Contributor
  • 42,596 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:32 PM

The resolution is modeled after California’s SB 1172, which passed earlier this year. The bill, which has several lawsuits pending against its implementation, has been labeled by both opponents and supporters as “banning ‘gay’ conversion therapy.”
However, the text of the legislation doesn’t specifically ban “gay” conversion therapy but, instead, prohibits attempts to change a person’s sexual orientation.
“‘Sexual orientation change efforts’ means any practices by mental health providers that seek to change an individual’s sexual orientation. This includes efforts to change behaviors or gender expressions, or to eliminate or reduce sexual or romantic attractions or feelings toward individuals of the same sex,” the bill says.
Speier’s resolution contains similar language saying, “It is the sense of Congress that sexual orientation and gender identity or expression change efforts directed at minors are … dangerous and harmful.”
However, the term “sexual orientation” is not defined in either the California bill or Speier’s resolution.
“This language is so broad and vague, it arguably could include all forms of sexual orientation including pedophilia,” said Brad Dacus, president of the Pacific Justice Institute. “It’s not just the orientation that is protected, the conduct associated with the orientation is protected as well.”

IOW, the proposed law does not make pedophilia a sexual orientation, it is just that sexual orientation is not specifically defined though the only sexual orientations that are addressed in the bill are the ones I quoted above.
When you climb up a ladder, you...begin at the bottom...ascend step by step, until you arrive at the top...so it is with the principles of the Gospel--you must begin with the first...go on until you learn all the principles of exaltation. But it will be a great while after you have passed through the veil before you will have learned them. It is not all to be comprehended in this world. Joseph Smith
UMW forever!

#5 MormonMason

MormonMason

Places Sun, Moon & Stars In The Sky

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,249 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:34 PM

There may be problems with this legislation, if what I have become aware of turns out to be correct and holds up to further, as yet unpublished scientific study. I cannot say any more except that there may well be the same or similar genes in operation in humans as those in the fruit flies that can be altered to switch on and off gender blindness by external stimuli. If it holds up and is published, it will be established that a possible genetic defect and/or external stimuli may be the cause. Thus gene therapies may well become appropriate to the treatment of the condition, contrary to the new law, if it passed. One wonders what will be the result of such future studies in the face of the law.

#6 USU78

USU78

Dr. Pepper Addict

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,953 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:36 PM

I suspect they will attack the licenses of the medical professionals that engage in such research, and certainly those who offer such treatments.
In the immortal words of? Socrates...I DRANK WHAT???!!!

#7 calmoriah

calmoriah

• Contributor
  • 42,596 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:36 PM

http://conwebwatch.t...ntigay-therapy/

A Nov. 30 WorldNetDaily article by Jack Minor dishonestly claims that laws banning "reparative therapy" to change a person's sexual oreintation protects pedophiles. He writes:

A California congresswoman wants to federalize a state law to prohibit counseling to change a person’s sexual orientation, including that of pedophiles.

In fact, Rep. Jackie Speier is offering only a non-binding resolution -- not a proposed federal law -- declaring that "sexual orientation and gender identify or expression change efforts directed at minors are discredited and ineffective, have no legitimate therapeutic purpose, and are dangerous and harmful." The resolution does not address such therapy directed at adults, as Minor suggests.
Minor goes on to claim that "the term 'sexual orientation' is not defined in either the California bill or Speier’s resolution," then cites anti-gay activists who claim that "This language is so broad and vague, it arguably could include all forms of sexual orientation including pedophilia," and that under the language of a bill banning anti-gay therapy targeted at minors, a "mental health counselor could be sanctioned if there was an attempt to get a pedophile to change his behavior or speak negatively about the behavior." Minor adds:

Pedophilia has already been granted protected status by the federal government in a way. The Matthew Shepard and James Byrd Jr. Hate Crimes Prevention Act lists “sexual orientation” as a protected class; however, it does not define the term.
Republicans attempted to add an amendment specifying “pedophilia is not covered as an orientation.” However, the amendment was defeated by Democrats. Rep. Alcee Hastings, D-Fla., stated that all alternative sexual lifestyles should be protected under the law.

In fact, as we pointed out the last time WND lied about this, the federal government considers pedophilia a crime, not a sexual orientation, so excluding pedophiles would be redundant.

UMW forever!

#8 calmoriah

calmoriah

• Contributor
  • 42,596 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:44 PM

A different POV: http://www.huffingto..._n_1926855.html
UMW forever!

#9 MormonMason

MormonMason

Places Sun, Moon & Stars In The Sky

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,249 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:48 PM

I suspect they will attack the licenses of the medical professionals that engage in such research, and certainly those who offer such treatments.

Probably why those who are working on this are on the hush-hush about it for now. What I think would be scarier to some, is that something like this possibly can be weaponized and deployed as an inhalable aerosol. I know certain Air Force personnel actually joked about making a weapon that could turn the enemy into a bunch of rabidly active homosexuals, making it easier to take a position while the enemy was so actively engaged but that never got past the suggestion stage. Anything that can alter behavior often can be made to swing the other way. Reminds me of what they tried to do with Pax in the movie Serenity. One thing is certain and that is that we will live in interesting times, to borrow from a Chinese curse.

#10 teddyaware

teddyaware

Separates Water & Dry Land

• Limited
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:26 PM

While crass sensationalism and distorting of the truth in order to score polemical points are the actions of scoundrels, even so, it seems logical, and even predictable, that once gay marriage has gained acceptance and normalization throughout the country, there will be new "frontiers" of the redefinition of marriage to conquer.

Who can doubt but that there are some waiting in the wings, champing at the bit, awaiting their turn to advocate for the definition of marriage to encompass polygyny, polyandry and and every possible configuration of polyamory imaginable (use your imagination). Then, after even these arraingements are normalized, there will likely be even more redifinitions of marriage in the offing. When it comes to the adversary of men's souls, there is nothing that is off limits. For those who naively think these things can't possibly happen here. I offer the following from Elder James Faust:

(Satan) is working under such perfect disguise that many do not recognize either him or his methods. There is no crime he would not commit, no debauchery he would not set up, no plague he would not send, no heart he would not break, no life he would not take, no soul he would not destroy.

Edited by teddyaware, 03 April 2013 - 03:27 PM.

#11 CASteinman

CASteinman

Gone

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,884 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:04 PM

Its not exactly designed to be binding legal legislation. And its not a CA Bill.

Its a resolution proposed in the US Congress by one delegate from California along with a handful of others.

You can read the text here to determine if it meets with your approval or outrage. I consider it an evil bill.

http://speier.house.... resolution.pdf

#12 EllenMaksoud

EllenMaksoud

• Limited
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,432 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:15 PM

While crass sensationalism and distorting of the truth in order to score polemical points are the actions of scoundrels, even so, it seems logical, and even predictable, that once gay marriage has gained acceptance and normalization throughout the country, there will be new "frontiers" of the redefinition of marriage to conquer.

Who can doubt but that there are some waiting in the wings, champing at the bit, awaiting their turn to advocate for the definition of marriage to encompass polygyny, polyandry and and every possible configuration of polyamory imaginable (use your imagination). Then, after even these arraingements are normalized, there will likely be even more redifinitions of marriage in the offing. When it comes to the adversary of men's souls, there is nothing that is off limits. For those who naively think these things can't possibly happen here. I offer the following from Elder James Faust:

(Satan) is working under such perfect disguise that many do not recognize either him or his methods. There is no crime he would not commit, no debauchery he would not set up, no plague he would not send, no heart he would not break, no life he would not take, no soul he would not destroy.

I've had a very difficult time acknowledging the existence of satan because in my past experience lots of people blamed their bad actions on "satan made me do it". I have always felt that to be really lame, and those people needed to take personal responsibility.

However, now after refreshing my memory of "The Gay Manifesto", and some other humanist writing, I am convinced that satan is become extremely active and aggressive in the world. I do not know what to do other than what I have been doing and that is actively and aggressively trying to do right.

#13 AddamS

AddamS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:20 PM

Is this mormomdialogue.org or a Facebook page?

Usually there is so much intelligent, reasonable debate around here.

This is beneath us.
You can't blame them for trying.

#14 Glenn101

Glenn101

Just Basic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,507 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:11 PM

Is this mormomdialogue.org or a Facebook page?

Usually there is so much intelligent, reasonable debate around here.

This is beneath us.

It seems to me that there is an effort here to find out the truth. One poster made a comment and a link. Others have added additional, clarifying information and others have only made comments.

Glenn

#15 RobertAC

RobertAC

Member: Moves Upon the Waters

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:33 PM

This is debate about the effects of vague language in an unpassed Congressional bill. At this point, the American Psychiatric Association defines pedophilia as a persistent sexual interest in prepubescent children. Not all those convicted of sexual offenses against children are pedophiles. But the APA has not gone as far as saying that pedophilia is an orientation.

I suspect that if legislation banning reparative therapy for GLBT people on a national level were to be proposed, that there would be significant input from APA and similar organizations. I suspect that while APA would say that being gay is not a mental disease, certain people who are attracted to members of the same sex desire to cultivate heterosexual attraction. For a very limited number of people, heterosexual attraction can be cultivated. I suspect that such a law would be voted down because its application is vague and potentially overbroad.

#16 CASteinman

CASteinman

Gone

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,884 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:05 PM

This is beneath us.

Maybe beneath you. But we are Mormons.

#17 calmoriah

calmoriah

• Contributor
  • 42,596 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:14 PM

I suspect that such a law would be voted down because its application is vague and potentially overbroad.

Quite agree with you.

While I do think minors need to be protected from being forced into therapies they don't want to be in, this is definitely too vague to be more beneficial than problematic, imo.
UMW forever!

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users