Seriously No Politics ×

Young Women Now "Expected" To Serve Missions?

My mom always tried to teach me to ask myself a few things before saying anything I was considering saying. She tried to teach me to ask, "Is it true? Is it kind? And is it necessary?" I wonder if this post is consistent with the spirit of chivalry befitting a Knight. :huh: Brother Sanders (despite our differing faith traditiions, we're all children of God) bills himself as a Book of Mormon believer. Who are you to question that? I would encourage you to tend to your own garden before looking at the weeds in someone else's. I could say more, but I have a meeting. Tootle-loo! ;):D (And happy Mother's Day, everyone!)

Don't even know your mom but I think I'd love her just by hearing her fantastic advice for you growing up. I hope it's not too late to share that with my kids, but there's always grandkids!

I'm not questioning Michael's belief in the Book of Mormon at all. He warned us to avoid what the Community of Christ has done in the last half century.

If anything I agree with the sentiment of his words up to the part about Sisters and a lack of direct scriptural mandate.

Is is true? Yes. Is it kind? Borderline. Is it necessary? Yes.

Michael gave us extremely wise and pertinent counsel when he talked about avoiding the pitfalls experienced by the Community of Christ. I merely desired to further illuminate said pitfalls. I was not calling anyone out in specific, but the organization as a whole and the actions of it's world congress in leading the good people astray.

I'm not questioning Michael's belief in the Book of Mormon at all. He warned us to avoid what the Community of Christ has done in the last half century.

If anything I agree with the sentiment of his words up to the part about Sisters and a lack of direct scriptural mandate.

Is is true? Yes. Is it kind? Borderline. Is it necessary? Yes.

Michael gave us extremely wise and pertinent counsel when he talked about avoiding the pitfalls experienced by the Community of Christ. I merely desired to further illuminate said pitfalls. I was not calling anyone out in specific, but the organization as a whole and the actions of it's world congress in leading the good people astray.

Things are, of course, different now than they were a hundred years ago, when I was a missionary. ;) But way back then, two of the first things I was taught were, one, "Build relationships of trust"; and two, "Build on common beliefs." Perhaps these things are taught in different ways now than they were then, and perhaps this specific phrasing has changed, but I believe these things are timeless, true principles. Bro. Robert Millet tells a story of a door he and his companion knocked on when he was a missionary somewhere in the deep south, somewhere where Mormons are somewhat less common than ants ;) and where receptivity to the Church is something of a rare thing. The gentleman who answered the door said, essentially, "I believe [x]." I forget what [x] is, but it's something that is right in line with one of the tenets of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Bro. Millet's companion said, "Did you know Mormons used to practice polygamy?" Needless to say, any hopes of teaching this gentleman the Restored Gospel quickly were dashed.

There's an old saying that people don't care how much you know until they know how much you care. I'm not sure what you're hoping to accomplish by belaboring the obvious differences in our respective beliefs (which calls into question the necessity of your doing so). And if it's only "borderline" kind, why are you saying it? ;) (That's two strikes; the only thing still on your side is truth.) And no, I don't think the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints should compromise where truth is concerned. But Paul and Moroni didn't say, "If ye have not the truth, ye are nothing." They said, "If ye have not charity ye are nothing."

I recently went on a nine-day tour of Spain in company with about 50 other people. To the best of my knowledge, my parents and I were the only three members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the group. I had a conversation with a nice lady from Australia. I mentioned Doctrine & Covenants 58:28: "Inasmuch as men do good, they shall in nowise lose their reward," implying that how one acts is far more important than what one believes. She agreed. I could have (and perhaps should have, according to an approach favored by some) said (essentially, in not so many words), "But we have authority, and you don't." But had I done so, I believe I would have risked an outcome similar to that which occurred between then-Elder Millet, his companion, and their would-be investigator. The ground has to be prepared in order for a seed to be planted. Will she ever be ready, rather than hearing what we have in common, to hear what makes us different? Eventually. But if one attempts unduly to hasten the process, no fruit will ever be borne to be harvested.

Edited by Kenngo1969

Don't even know your mom but I think I'd love her just by hearing her fantastic advice for you growing up. I hope it's not too late to share that with my kids, but there's always grandkids!

I'm sure you two would get along famously! :)

It's necessary because when talking about what they do that brought them to where they are now, we must know what to avoid doing.

I agree completely that there is a time and a place for things to be said, and for things not to be said. Like you indicated, it's far more beneficial to the process to focus on what is in common versus what is not (GA's have said that too, in Conference), and in large measure I agree completely.

However, when it gets brought up that the Community of Christ is practically unrecognizable from what it started as, and are cautioned to avoid the same fate, it is very necessary (imo) to clearly point out where they went wrong so that we don't fall into the same trap.

In rereading my words, it comes across that I'm leaving out the people factor of the scenario. I've known several members of the Community of Christ in my life thus far, even one growing up who was a friend throughout High School. As I've come to observe the transformation that Church has gone through since they separated themselves from us, I can't help but feel a great longing to wake them up to the awful situation they are in, spiritually, because they are in fact precious to God especially in darkness.

If any group would be prepared to receive the truth, in my opinion, they would be primed for it because of what few basic beliefs we share remain. To build on common beliefs I'm pretty sure we'd be limited to the Book of Mormon being in our history, our focus on families and the Savior. I can't think of much else. Nevertheless, you're right: commonalities are very important, not just with them but with all other religious groups.

As a general rule, going about pointing out differences in believes, rather than what's in common, is the exception, but in this case is necessary, in my belief, because if we are to avoid becoming like them we ought to know how they became what they are.

My initial list was done in a spirit of unkindness, but in giving further thought, I'm trying to purify my thoughts and motives on the subject and focus on love, as well as on shining the light on the traps we must avoid.