Seriously No Politics ×

"Review" Of Greg Smiths Review Of Mormon Stories

They need something to obsess about so as to distract attention away from their miserable and pathetic existence. It is just that in their typical asinine way, they inadvertently end up drawing attention to their miserable and pathetic existence, making it all the more obvious. There is an old saying about "fools" that comes to mind. Amusing and instructive indeed.

Thanks, -Wade Englund-

Miserable and pathetic existence? Classy

Edited by sjdawg
the persistent vitriolic and degenerate behavior on the other board.

I have to admit that that's how I've come to see the place -- as seething with toxic hatred and vicious personal hostility.

One doesn't expect much, of course, from the likes of Infymus, Polygamy Porter, Shulem, and my reptilian Stalker. And some are better than others. But it's really sad to witness the decay of certain people like Kishkumen's now-seldom-seen alter ego, Trevor. There seems little of Sméagol left in Kishkumen these days; it's pretty much all Gollum.

I have to admit that that's how I've come to see the place -- as seething with toxic hatred and vicious personal hostility.

One doesn't expect much, of course, from the likes of Infymus, Polygamy Porter, Shulem, and my reptilian Stalker. And some are better than others. But it's really sad to witness the decay of certain people like Kishkumen's now-seldom-seen alter ego, Trevor. There seems little of Sméagol left in Kishkumen these days; it's pretty much all Gollum.

Yeah, I'm tellin' ya. When they canned Jersey Girl, there went the neighborhood.

:rofl:

Yeah, I'm tellin' ya. When they canned Jersey Girl, there went the neighborhood.

:rofl:

It's good to see you here. Despite our differences, I always admired your willingness to stand up for what you thought was right no matter what side it was. Tell Liz to rejoin us!

I am not aware of any of the history of Jersey Girl. I merely assume that she had fled the Shady thing. If I am correct in this guess, then my additional hunch is that she has found the rhetorical filth flowing from that paranoid sewer to be both irritating and unhealthy. Differences of opinion are to be expected. Getting trashed by my academic colleagues was a blessing, since it liberated me from error and opened up avenues I had not previously noticed. But such conversations were always civil. The message board miasma is often anything but civil, and hence just plain evil. When it goes on and on for years, it is demonic.

I would have enjoyed Rollo Tomasi's review much more if he had provided quotes from Greg Smith's personal Facebook. And not just normal public Facebook comments. I want comments from 2 years ago that are now deleted but saved manually.

Can someone also archive a copy of Dehlin's Farmville farm? I bet it looks like some sort of anti Mormon hippy commune or something.

Phaedrus

I am not aware of any of the history of Jersey Girl. I merely assume that she had fled the Shady thing. If I am correct in this guess, then my additional hunch is that she has found the rhetorical filth flowing from that paranoid sewer to be both irritating and unhealthy. Differences of opinion are to be expected. Getting trashed by my academic colleagues was a blessing, since it liberated me from error and opened up avenues I had not previously noticed. But such conversations were always civil. The message board miasma is often anything but civil, and hence just plain evil. When it goes on and on for years, it is demonic.

While I've had a very minor role on the other board, Jersey Girl was a key member there for a major part of its history, I believe ... one of many who bring a wise, compassionate and insightful presence there. I think she has a lot of friends there.

It's been interesting for me to see that there have always been some faithful LDS posting there who have been obviously valued and respected there. Jersey Girl is a non-Mormon as am I and some others.

Just as life is not strictly black and white, and just as people are more complex than simple, neither can that board be painted with such a broad brush as some would have it!

I doubt that "enjoying Rollo Tomasi's review much more" would be physically possible for most of the folks over at the Contempt and Defamation Board where it was posted. They've been giddy with angry delight ever since it appeared. I'm not sure, for example, that poor Kishkumen has slept in a week. (I can't speak to your specific case, of course.)

I doubt that "enjoying Rollo Tomasi's review much more" would be physically possible for most of the folks over at the Contempt and Defamation Board where it was posted. They've been giddy with angry delight ever since it appeared. I'm not sure, for example, that poor Kishkumen has slept in a week. (I can't speak to your specific case, of course.)

Indeed. Kish demands that one must agree every whit with Rollo's piece. If there is any hint of disagreement with any part of it, one will surely be labeled a liar from him.

I fear he's lost his marbles along with his sense of civility.

While I've had a very minor role on the other board, Jersey Girl was a key member there for a major part of its history, I believe ... one of many who bring a wise, compassionate and insightful presence there. I think she has a lot of friends there.

It's been interesting for me to see that there have always been some faithful LDS posting there who have been obviously valued and respected there. Jersey Girl is a non-Mormon as am I and some others.

I would be interested in some representative examples of active, orthodox LDS who are "obviously valued and respected there."*

Just as life is not strictly black and white, and just as people are more complex than simple, neither can that board be painted with such a broad brush as some would have it!

That board has always been pretty much black and white, and, with each passing week, broad brushes have become more and more adequate to depicting it.

* There's always "Everybody Wang Chung," I suppose. He claims to be a currently serving bishop. He also claimed that his wife surprised him with a tour to Israel this past April/May, led by me. He was, he promised, going to go and to report back to his apostate buddies on all my silly Mopologist antics there. Later, when asked, he claimed to have actually gone, and again, under prodding, promised to provide a chronicle of my ridiculousness while he was with me in the Middle East. So far as I can tell, he's never done so. Finally, just the other day, I got out a list of all of the people who accompanied me on that tour, and I had a friend who is a bishop cross check it against the Church's leadership directory. There were no currently serving bishops on that tour. I suppose Everybody Wang Chung's claim could still somehow be true, but I very much doubt it. It seems far and away most likely that he isn't a currently serving bishop, despite his assertions (he doesn't seem to believe much of anything, and is contemptuous of those who do, often in pretty foul language), and that he didn't go to Israel with me. In other words, if I had to bet, I would bet that he's a fraud.

Indeed. Kish demands that one must agree every whit with Rollo's piece. If there is any hint of disagreement with any part of it, one will surely be labeled a liar from him.

I fear he's lost his marbles along with his sense of civility.

Indeed. It's been sad to watch his rapid deterioration of late.

Curiously, too, my Malevolent Stalker, whom one might have expected to be especially vocal recently, has had remarkably little to say. It's as if he's been assimilated into Kishkumen. Or, perhaps, vice versa.

The precise metaphysical/ectoplasmic nature of such changes remains mysterious, I'm afraid, but there are some valuable clues in the texts gathered and published by Professor C. S. Lewis in his invaluable edition of The Screwtape Letters, particularly toward the end of the volume.

Edited by Daniel Peterson

Daniel,

To add, they have started a new campaign to silence all faithful voices that oppose their agenda, starting with me, but it's moving to others now.

in their mind I'm sure they are seeing glimpses of almighty power right before them. They simply want to go on uncontested it seems.

I would be interested in some representative examples of active, orthodox LDS who are "obviously valued and respected there."*

Some people I can think of are David Bokovoy, Don Bradley and mercyandgrace. I think there are others. I am not altogether familiar with the board, but I have observed appreciation for and very pleasant interactions with the above.

Daniel,

To add, they have started a new campaign to silence all faithful voices that oppose their agenda, starting with me, but it's moving to others now.

in their mind I'm sure they are seeing glimpses of almighty power right before them. They simply want to go on uncontested it seems.

I can think of nothing better than to leave them to talk amongst themselves--rendering them relatively meaningless outside their dysfunctional echo-chamber. Daniel, Will, and I made that decision some time back, and I think we have been all the better off for it.

Thanks, -Wade Englund-

Edited by wenglund

Some people I can think of are David Bokovoy, Don Bradley and mercyandgrace. I think there are others. I am not altogether familiar with the board, but I have observed appreciation for and very pleasant interactions with the above.

I think you're right. Luckily for them they just come and go in passing, for the most part. They rarely get approached with anything but a few passing 'love yas' and 'thank yous'.

Recently in discussing this over there with the beloved Darth J he suggests he can be nice to some LDS, but others he simply can't do it. He blames the very LDS people for the mockery he puts upon them.

I mean we can say, "well they can treat some LDS with respect" if we want, but that doesn't really suggest there is no grand problem overall.

Seriously? They're scarcely ever there.

David Bokovoy, though, is valued -- to the limited extent that he actually is (there have been nasty attacks on him) -- because they see him as having been rejected by BYU and, possibly, as a dissident. (Did he not lately seem to criticize apologetics?)

And Don Bradley has recently come under harsh attack there.

Notice how people like stemelbow and bcspace are treated, though. Kishkumen's fingers simply can't type fast enough to post all of the accusations of "lying" and all of the insults that he would like to put up, and he has the enthusiastic backing of pretty much the whole local mob.

I can think of nothing better than to leave them to talk amongst themselves--rendering them relatively meaningless outside their dysfunctional echo-chamber. Daniel, Will, and I made that decision some time back, and I think we have been all the better off for it.

Thanks, -Wade Englund-

I don't doubt you're right and I imagine I'll be taking my leave too--particularly since after every post they put up a smokey bear poster complaining about me--that doesn't deal with the many attacks they put out each day, though. As Paloma points out, at least occassionally some other LDS folks show up there.

The precise metaphysical/ectoplasmic nature of such changes remains mysterious, I'm afraid, but there are some valuable clues in the texts gathered and published by Professor C. S. Lewis in his invaluable edition of The Screwtape Letters, particularly toward the end of the volume.

You mention C. S. Lewis. One of my favourite passages of his comes at the end of his address, The Weight of Glory:

"Meanwhile, the cross comes before the crown and tomorrow is a Monday morning... It may be possible for each to think too much of his own potential glory hereafter; it is hardly possible for him to think too often or too deeply about that of his neighbour. The load, or weight, or burden of my neighbour's glory should be laid daily on my back, a load so heavy that only humility can carry it, and the backs of the proud will be broken. It is a serious thing to live in a society of possible gods and goddesses, to remember that the dullest and most uninteresting person you talk to may one day be a creature which, if you saw it now, you would be strongly tempted to worship, or else a horror and a corruption such as you now meet, if at all, only in a nightmare. All day long we are, in some degree, helping each other to one or other of these destinations. It is in the light of these overwhelming possibilities, it is with awe and circumspection proper to them, that we should conduct all our dealings with one another, all friendships, all loves, all play, all politics. There are no ordinary people. ..."

Edited by Paloma
I don't doubt you're right and I imagine I'll be taking my leave too--particularly since after every post they put up a smokey bear poster complaining about me--that doesn't deal with the many attacks they put out each day, though. As Paloma points out, at least occassionally some other LDS folks show up there.

I suppose it is inevitable that members will stop by. There is something about lost causes and train wrecks that we humans seem unable to resist.

Thanks, -Wade Englund-

You mention C. S. Lewis. One of my favourite passages of his comes at the end of his address, The Weight of Glory:

"Meanwhile, the cross comes before the crown and tomorrow is a Monday morning... It may be possible for each to think too much of his own potential glory hereafter; it is hardly possible for him to think too often or too deeply about that of his neighbour. The load, or weight, or burden of my neighbour's glory should be laid daily on my back, a load so heavy that only humility can carry it, and the backs of the proud will be broken. It is a serious thing to live in a society of possible gods and goddesses, to remember that the dullest and most uninteresting person you talk to may one day be a creature which, if you saw it now, you would be strongly tempted to worship, or else a horror and a corruption such as you now meet, if at all, only in a nightmare. All day long we are, in some degree, helping each other to one or other of these destinations. It is in the light of these overwhelming possibilities, it is with awe and circumspection proper to them, that we should conduct all our dealings with one another, all friendships, all loves, all play, all politics. There are no ordinary people. ..."

That's a favorite passage of mine, too. I've quoted it frequently in various talks, etc.

I would personally recommend that you do leave it.

It's essentially a highly toxic echo chamber, and there's little point -- to further mix the metaphor -- in providing them with a ridiculous little fig leaf that will help them to pretend that it's not.