Seriously No Politics ×

"Review" Of Greg Smiths Review Of Mormon Stories

there is an interesting review on the Mormon Discussions site of Greg's Smith's review of Mormon Stories. I'd link to it but I'm not sure if that is allowed.

I have mixed feelings on both Smith's original review and the review of the review.

I notice John Dehlin has participated in that thread. He claims he wasn't trying to censor the publication of Smith's article when he alerted the church to it.

And yet when it was, I could have sworn I saw some claim of credit for that.

I like Cinepro's comments on the thread..

If someone were to ask which was the greater misrepresentation: Greg Smith's essay about John Dehlin, or the comments being made about Greg Smith's essay, I'd probably have to flip a coin.

Haven't read it so can't comment.

Here's a link to it (I hope that's ok. If not, please just remove it):

removed because of inapproprate content on site, sorry

I haven't read it either, but I will try to get a chance to do this today.

the Review itself? not so bad. I mean he went overboard for sure in claiming personal attacks. many things he said can't be seen as attacks at all let alone personal. The attempt to paint Smith as someone who sent out emmissaries to poke and prod Dehlin so he could get more out of him is pretty pathetic too.

but by and large the worst part was the comments that came in that thread--particularly one by some guy who calls himself stemelbow.

I think Cinepro's response was pretty good, though.

I haven't read it either, but I will try to get a chance to do this today.

You've gone where no-one has gone before ALarson. This site is as anti as anti can go. Isn't it posted on the MD board also according to the OP?

Any site that discusses explicit temple content is not okay...that is the rule, I believe. You can check and remove it yourself.

I notice John Dehlin has participated in that thread. He claims he wasn't trying to censor the publication of Smith's article when he alerted the church to it.

This does leave out a little context. For clarity John's actual quote was:

For the record, I wasn't trying to censor the publication of the article when I alerted the church to it. I knew it would ultimately be published one way or another. What I was trying to do was disrupt BYU/Maxwell Institute/Church-sponsored ad hominem attacks led by the likes of Greg Smith, Daniel Peterson, and Lou Midgley.

Any site that discusses explicit temple content is not okay...that is the rule, I believe. You can check and remove it yourself.

Oops, sorry. I am not familiar with what's on that site (I just did a search and found the review there). Looks like the link is already removed. I apologize if I offended anyone.

Is there anywhere else it's posted that is a safe site to post?

And yet when it was, I could have sworn I saw some claim of credit for that.

Cuz he did take credit for it being censored and you did read his very words taking credit for it. John Dehlin doesn't stay on one version of a story, does he? Well, at least not one which makes him look bad.

Mormonstories:

So why did I fight the article? I did it because I believe in my heart that the old school, disingenuous, ad hominem-style apologetics a la Daniel Peterson and Louis Midgley are very, very damaging: to the church, to its members, to its former members, and mostly to its targets. My strategic hope was that fighting this article within the ranks of church leadership could be used to help bring light to these destructive tactics, and hopefully drive a death nail or two into them.
Edited by calmoriah

No, thanks. I'll wait for the review of the review of the review. :D;)