Seriously No Politics ×

Would Joseph Smith Recognize A Modern Lds Sacrament Meeting?

They might be expected to know about it if they have been paying attention. I refer you to this archived thread, wherein the presence of the pistol in Carthage Jail is noted in Church curriculum materials and the very pistol itself is displayed at the Church History Museum, the Church's flagship museum at Church headquarters in Salt Lake City.

It's mentioned here now in connection with the Friend's audio extras: http://www.mormonchannel.org/magazines/friend/2008/12/the-martyrdom-of-the-prophet Edited by calmoriah

His incarceration was on charge of riot stemming from the declaration of martial law in Nauvoo, an act with the intent of preserving the lives and safety of his people from the violence of mobbers in adjacent towns. The entire proceeding was in line with a plot to get Joseph isolated so the mobs could carry out their intent to kill him.

My memory says he was released on bail for the riot charge and then rearrested on a charge of treason towards the State of Illinois along with Hyrum.

Took them three times, but the last one stuck apparently....at least long enough to get the deed done.

It's mentioned here now in connection with the Friend's audio extras: http://www.mormonchannel.org/magazines/friend/2008/12/the-martyrdom-of-the-prophet

Thanks for this, calmoriah.

By the way, I had what is populary styled these days as a "brain fart" when I was typing my post. I wrote "Liberty Jail" where I should have written "Carthage Jail."

I have corrected my own post. But to save me from having my embarrassing error etched in stone, would you mind correcting it in your quotation of my post? Thanks in advance.

Edited by Scott Lloyd

My memory says he was released on bail for the riot charge and then rearrested on a charge of treason towards the State of Illinois along with Hyrum.

Took them three times, but the last one stuck apparently....at least long enough to get the deed done.

Yeah, that's how it happened.

I was typing on the fly last night and didn't take the time I should have to check my facts or proofread my post -- as evidenced by my writing "Liberty Jail" instead of "Carthage Jail." (I've been to both places several times; I should and do know better.) :fool:

Edited by Scott Lloyd