Seriously No Politics ×

T Or F: That God Of Ot Is Embodied Is Nearing Consensus Position Of Bible Scholars

I don't know whether a survey of scholars would show consensus, but it is a respectable position to take in scholarly circles, e.g., Yohanan Muffs states that “[T]he biblical God is anthropomorphic. Whoever strips God of his personal quality distorts the true meaning of Scripture.” However, he adds, “only the most holy people are spared death in the presence of God.” Muffs, Bible Review, XVIII/6 (Dec 2002), 23; cf. Ronald Hendel, “Aniconism and Anthropomorphism in Ancient Israel,” in K. van der Toorn, ed., The Image and the Book (Leuven: Peeters, 1997), 205-228; Benjamin Sommer, The Bodies of God and the World of Ancient Israel (Cambridge University Press, 2009); Esther J. Hamori, "When Gods Were Men": The Embodied God in Biblical and Near Eastern Literature (de Gruyter, 2008), reviewed in RBL, Feb 2012, online at http://www.bookrevie...sp?TitleId=8190 ..

Edited by Robert F. Smith

I don't know whether a survey of scholars would show consensus, but it is a respectable position to take in scholarly circles, e.g., Yohanan Muffs states that “[T]he biblical God is anthropomorphic. Whoever strips God of his personal quality distorts the true meaning of Scripture.” However, he adds, “only the most holy people are spared death in the presence of God.” Muffs, Bible Review, XVIII/6 (Dec 2002), 23; cf. Ronald Hendel, “Aniconism and Anthropomorphism in Ancient Israel,” in K. van der Toorn, ed., The Image and the Book (Leuven: Peeters, 1997), 205-228; Benjamin Sommer, The Bodies of God and the World of Ancient Israel (Cambridge University Press, 2009); Esther J. Hamori, "When Gods Were Men": The Embodied God in Biblical and Near Eastern Literature (de Gruyter, 2008), reviewed in RBL, Feb 2012, online at http://www.bookrevie...sp?TitleId=8190 ..

Know any place I can get a discount on Hamori's monograph? I want to own it but not ready to pay $98.

Holy Cow. Some "enlightened" ones' insights come at a dear price, don't they? Disgusting, obscene really....

University presses aren't aimed at general readers, so tend to be pricey. There are some books that I know I simply must have, but can't afford...