Seriously No Politics ×

Bishop Quits Because Of Military Service - Anyone Know?

My wife's niece just told her that their newly called bishop in her Spokane Washington ward suddenly resigned his calling of less than a month.  She was told that nothing was explained to them but there were stories stating it had to do with his past military service and the press reporting it.  His name is Bryce Jenson (?).  We have found nothing on the web or in the Spokane papers on this name. Sounded suspicious to us.  Any one know anything about such a claim?

My wife's niece just told her that their newly called bishop in her Spokane Washington ward suddenly resigned his calling of less than a month. She was told that nothing was explained to them but there were stories stating it had to do with his past military service and the press reporting it. His name is Bryce Jenson (?). We have found nothing on the web or in the Spokane papers on this name. Sounded suspicious to us. Any one know anything about such a claim?

This guy was the attorney who devised the legal justification for waterboarding and other "enhanced interrogation techniques" as part of the Bush admin.

I think it is good he stepped down.

I know many here will disagree with me but as I stated on the board that must not be named:

One who can justify the the orchestration and systematic inflictment of human suffering is not suited to act as a pastor who's calling is to comfort and heal.

Just my opinion. Probably worth about $.02

Edited by sethpayne

This guy was the attorney who devised the legal justification for waterboarding and other "enhanced interrogation techniques" as part of the Bush admin.

I think it is good he stepped down.

I know many here will disagree with me but as I stated on the board that must not be named:

One who can justify the the orchestration and systematic inflictment of human suffering is not suited to act as a pastor who's calling is to comfort and heal.

Just my opinion. Probably worth about $.02

It is nice to know that you have not only judged him, but also found yourself capable of making such judgments. One who can justify sitting themselves on the judgment seat for their fellowman may have problems when standing before the Master; they will be judged by the same standards they have used to condemn others. Good luck with that.

From CBS News two years ago http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-201_162-7159001.html

It has long been known that psychologists Jim Mitchell and Bruce Jessen created the CIA's interrogation program. But former U.S. intelligence officials said Mitchell and Jessen also repeatedly subjected terror suspects inside CIA-run secret prisons to waterboarding, a simulated drowning tactic.

That changed in 2002 with the capture of suspected al Qaeda facilitator Abu Zubaydah (ah-BOO' zoo-BY'-dah). The agency believed tougher-than-usual tactics were necessary to squeeze information from him, so Mitchell and Jessen flew to a secret CIA prison in Thailand to oversee Zubaydah's interrogation.

The pair waterboarded Zubaydah 83 times, according to previously released records and former intelligence officials. Mitchell and Jessen did the bulk of the work, claiming they were the only ones who knew how to apply the techniques properly, the former officials said.

Mitchell and Jessen were recorded interrogating Zubaydah and al-Nashiri and were eager to see those tapes destroyed, fearing their release would jeopardize their safety, former officials and others close to the matter said.

They often contacted senior CIA officials, urging them to destroy the tapes and asking what was taking so long, said a person familiar with the Durham investigation who insisted on anonymity because the case's details remain sensitive. Finally the CIA's top clandestine officer, Jose Rodriguez, made the decision to destroy the tapes in November 2005.

My wife's niece just told her that their newly called bishop in her Spokane Washington ward suddenly resigned his calling of less than a month.  She was told that nothing was explained to them but there were stories stating it had to do with his past military service and the press reporting it.  His name is Bryce Jenson (?).  We have found nothing on the web or in the Spokane papers on this name. Sounded suspicious to us.  Any one know anything about such a claim?

Seems like something that should be discussed here...especially listing his name.

Thank you.

For what it is worth, I agree with you. I even got into it with some posters here back in '09, and were he my bishop, I'm almost positive that I wouldn't be able to sustain him in his calling.

Edited by volgadon

So, soldiers who have fought on the front lines and killed people are not allowed to serve as a Bishop? Airforce or Navy pilots who have dropped bombs on the enemy are not allowed to serve? I'm asking because I truly don't know the answer to this and I fail to see the difference.

For what it is worth, I agree with you. I even got into it with some posters here back in '09, and were he my bishop, I'm almost positive that I wouldn't be able to sustain him in his calling.

It is interesting.

According to Duncan's news article, he was "unanimously sustained". So, it makes one question whether or not all the ward members were knowlegable of his prior affairs?

So, soldiers who have fought on the front lines and killed people are not allowed to serve as a Bishop? Airforce or Navy pilots who have dropped bombs on the enemy are not allowed to serve? I'm asking because I truly don't know the answer to this and I fail to see the difference.

That's actually a pretty good question. I don't know of anyone who's ever been barred from a particular Church calling because of having killed someone in military service, yet this brother allegedly is unfit to serve for having devised and/or employed tactics in which no one was killed? Sounds like a non sequitur to me.

I doubt very highly someone who served in the military would be barred from serving a s a Bishop or any other similar calling. Look at how many General Authorities served in combat. I think this fella is a different situation and seemed to have acted differently, i.e. alledgedly quit the Church after a month as a Bishop, then others who have served in the military

I am not seeing why he would need to request his release.

It could just as easily been a safety issue for him and his family and the ward. Keeping head down. If someone wanted revenge a prominent position could be unsafe. You especially do not want him in charge of a congregation as it would make the building a target.

Looks like we had the name wrong.

I'm still confused:  Did Mr Jesson quit the Church or just resign his calling?  

Such a calling would come from God so what would lead anyone not to sustain such calling?  Do you believe God got it wrong?

Such a calling would come from God so what would lead anyone not to sustain such calling?  Do you believe God got it wrong?

One of the purposes of the law of common consent is that objection to a calling may be necessary as a member may have information about the person being called that those who involved in selecting the candidate may nit have known.

One of the purposes of the law of common consent is that objection to a calling may be necessary as a member may have information about the person being called that those who involved in selecting the candidate may nit have known.

Would God have known about it?  Why would He make such a calling if He knew about it?

Why do you care

Here we go. "Such a calling would come from God so what would lead anyone not to sustain such calling? Do you believe God got it wrong?" This as well. "Would God have known about it? Why would He make such a calling if He knew about it?"

Edited by volgadon

That's actually a pretty good question. I don't know of anyone who's ever been barred from a particular Church calling because of having killed someone in military service, yet this brother allegedly is unfit to serve for having devised and/or employed tactics in which no one was killed? Sounds like a non sequitur to me.

I would add that these techniques have saved the lives of who knows how many.