Sign in to follow this  
Emerson

New Chair In Mormon Studies

In what is possibly the biggest development in Mormon studies to date, the University of Virginia today announced the establishment of the Richard Lyman Bushman Chair of Mormon Studies. While the third such position in academia, this stands alone in being outside the Mormon culture region and being located at one of the most elite universities in the nation. It is a testament to the flowering of the field, and the respect it is garnering from the broader academy. And I can't think of a better person to have the chair named after, as Richard is the preeminent Mormon studies scholar of the past generation.

Awesome news.

I offer more analysis here: http://www.juvenileinstructor.org/uva_mormon_chair/

The official announcement is here: http://news.virginia.edu/content/uva-creates-richard-lyman-bushman-chair-mormon-studies

Exciting news! I wonder if Bill Hamblin thinks that there is such a thing as Mormon studies yet.

Maybe they could appoint D. Michael Quinn for a few years, and then when he re-retires, appoint someone up-and-coming.

Maybe they could appoint D. Michael Quinn for a few years, and then when he re-retires, appoint someone up-and-coming.

I imagine they would want someone involved in mainline academia and who has a reputation outside of Mormon history. As monumental as Quinn's work has been in the (sub) field of Mormon history, huge does not have the credibility outside of it.

In what is possibly the biggest development in Mormon studies to date, the University of Virginia today announced the establishment of the Richard Lyman Bushman Chair of Mormon Studies. While the third such position in academia, this stands alone in being outside the Mormon culture region and being located at one of the most elite universities in the nation. It is a testament to the flowering of the field, and the respect it is garnering from the broader academy. And I can't think of a better person to have the chair named after, as Richard is the preeminent Mormon studies scholar of the past generation.

Awesome news.

I offer more analysis here: http://www.juvenilei...a_mormon_chair/

The official announcement is here: http://news.virginia...-mormon-studies

Isn't this also outside the Mormon culture and region? Howard W. Hunter Chair of Mormon Studies at Claremont Graduate University

I don't think it is a big deal but So Cal does not seem to me to be "inside the Mormon culture." While there are a lot of LDS here, we are a tiny minority in a huge population.

Edited by CA Steve

Isn't this also outside the Mormon culture and region? Howard W. Hunter Chair of Mormon Studies at Claremont Graduate University

I don't think it is a big deal but So Cal does not seem to me to be "inside the Mormon culture." While there are a lot of LDS here, we are a tiny minority in a huge population.

I understand your point, and I fully agree that the Claremont position is hugely influential and important, but there are also a large number of Mormons in Orange County, including a large number of donors. The Virginia position is far away from any large Mormon bubbles, which is what makes it significant.

Exciting news! I wonder if Bill Hamblin thinks that there is such a thing as Mormon studies yet.

Not yet. A couple of chairs of Mormon Studies do not a movement make.

And note I'm talking about Mormon RELIGIOUS studies. Sounds like this will be a history slot.

Edited by Bill Hamblin

I understand your point, and I fully agree that the Claremont position is hugely influential and important, but there are also a large number of Mormons in Orange County, including a large number of donors. The Virginia position is far away from any large Mormon bubbles, which is what makes it significant.

There's a huge LDS presence in the DC area.

I expect that to be on the increase very soon. (runs and hides from moderators)

Not yet. A couple of chairs of Mormon Studies do not a movement make.

And note I'm talking about Mormon RELIGIOUS studies. Sounds like this will be a history slot.

Well, it's in the religious studies department.

Comparable to most of the eastern U.S., sure, but not comparable to SoCal.

Well, it's in the religious studies department.

True enough. But one professor does not a Mormon Studies program make. That's all I've been saying.

But that's fine. We'll see what happens.

Comparable to most of the eastern U.S., sure, but not comparable to SoCal.

Yeh, the OC has a suprisingly large number of Mormons living in it... I'm one of 'em =p. And there is like about 12 or 13 other people on this board from the general area as well. I'm not sure if this board just attracts OC people or what lol.

Awesome news.

I offer more analysis here: http://www.juvenilei...a_mormon_chair/

The official announcement is here: http://news.virginia...-mormon-studies

This is a wonderful honor for Richard. He is a wonderful human being and has touched the lives of many for good.

Seth

True enough. But one professor does not a Mormon Studies program make. That's all I've been saying.

But that's fine. We'll see what happens.

I won't press this further, but only to say I don't think Mormon studies should become the type of program you are hinting at. The moment the field becomes so big that they have numerous professors on each faculty, it will descend into the parochial quibbles that dominated earlier generations. Mormon studies is, and always will be, at its best as a subfield in conversation with numerous disciplines and areas. I would hope we don't get many more than the 6 chairs that are either currently in use or in the works. Again, Mormon studies programs are at their best when they are integrated into larger fields without becoming too insular.

Isn't Givens at UVA? What're the chances he's going to be the chair of the search committee?

Isn't Givens at UVA? What're the chances he's going to be the chair of the search committee?

Terryl is at Richmond. I doubt he is on the search committee since he is probably one of the leading candidates for the Bushman Chair.

I thought with the establishment of SVU the Church was becoming a noticeable movement in Virginia. I don't know population statistics for each state, let alone counties (such as Orange County in CA), but influence-wise the LDS are more highly of note in Virginia in the last few years.

What would people graduated from a Mormon Studies program do for a living?

Now that's a good question!

Terryl is at Richmond. I doubt he is on the search committee since he is probably one of the leading candidates for the Bushman Chair.

That's right! Thanks for the memory boost.

Well, your degree would be in Religious Studies, and your options would be similar to having graduated from any other top-tier graduate program in religious studies. Many go into academia, but that's not the only option.

I served my mission in Virginia not too long ago (2006-2008), and have tried to follow Mormon/Virginia related things since then. This is an exciting development. (Perhaps I'll look to UVA for my graduate studies? I'd love to go back to Virginia for school.)

Regarding the Mormon Presence in Virginia, it is actually pretty strong, compared to the rest of the East Coast (which isn't saying much). It is more concentrated in the DC area than the rest of the state. On the other hand, my six weeks in Charlottesville was the worst experience of my mission - nobody was very receptive.

Edited by nealr

I hope a non-Mormon scholar is chosen, and I really hope the chair doesn't succumb to the pressure of LDS donors.

I hope a non-Mormon scholar is chosen, and I really hope the chair doesn't succumb to the pressure of LDS donors.

"I hope a non-Jew is chosen for the next chair of Jewish studies. I really hope they don't succumb to the pressure of Jewish donors."

Doesn't seem so hip when you talk that way about Jews, does it?