Seriously No Politics ×

Young Women And Relief Society

Can anyone think of any practical reason why the Young Women organization isn't simply enveloped into the Relief Society? As RS is specifically said to be after the pattern of the priesthood, and we currently have the Young Women having classes and presidencies equivalent to the 3 degrees of Aaronic Priesthood classes - and even sharing the same curriculum now - do you see this as logical step - with no doctrine needed to be changed - where at age 12, women enter into the Relief Society?

I see this being a powerful, purpose-filled organizational change that actually makes much more sense logistically in many more ways then having a RS/YW split. If YM can be Priesthood Brethren at age 12, part of the bigger whole, then, for goodness sake, why can't Young Women be Relief Society Sisters at age 12?

I see this as being an organizational change that even those who are not comfortable with the idea of future potential extension of Priesthood Offices to women could grab hold on, because it would require Zero doctrinal adjustment. At it is, the YW organization is a bit of an orphan. Wouldn't it be great for them to, just as the 12 year old boys are, be a part of a Restoration Legacy, one with Sacred ties back to Joseph and Emma, one with 'an inseperable connection to the Priesthood'?

Can any one think of any practical or substantial reasons why not to make this non-doctrinal, organizational adjustment?

Edited by David T

Are you kidding me? It's difficult enough to get them to come when they graduate HS as it is. They hate to leave YW. Plus they need camps, weekly activities. They are included occasionally in some RS activities here and there. But it doesn't seem like a good idea to me. Also, young men don't really do anything with the Elder's quorum do they?

Edited by Tacenda

Are you kidding me? It's difficult enough to get them to come when they graduate HS as it is. They hate to leave YW. Plus they need camps, weekly activities. They are included occasionally in some RS activities here and there. But it doesn't seem like a good idea to me. Also, young men don't really do anything with the Elder's quorum do they?

I think you misunderstand. All activities, camps, organizations, etc. would be the same. It simply would be re-branded as classes within the Relief Society. They would meet together for opening excercises with the adults, like the Young Men do, but then break off for their own classes.

I think you misunderstand. All activities, camps, organizations, etc. would be the same. It simply would be re-branded as classes within the Relief Society. They would meet together for opening excercises with the adults, like the Young Men do, but then break off for their own classes.

I see, sorry I so misunderstood. The YW in my ward currently meet every Fast Sunday with the RS, which I believe cuts into lesson time as it is, since they have to hear all the RS items on the agenda. But it's good to get them together for opening exercises once a month, I definitely see the value in that.

Edited by Tacenda

Can anyone think of any practical reason why the Young Women organization isn't simply enveloped into the Relief Society? As RS is specifically said to be after the pattern of the priesthood, and we currently have the Young Women having classes and presidencies equivalent to the 3 degrees of Aaronic Priesthood classes - and even sharing the same curriculum now - do you see this as logical step - with no doctrine needed to be changed - where at age 12, women enter into the Relief Society?

I see this being a powerful, purpose-filled organizational change that actually makes much more sense logistically in many more ways then having a RS/YW split. If YM can be Priesthood Brethren at age 12, part of the bigger whole, then, for goodness sake, why can't Young Women be Relief Society Sisters at age 12?

I see this as being an organizational change that even those who are not comfortable with the idea of future potential extension of Priesthood Offices to women could grab hold on, because it would require Zero doctrinal adjustment. At it is, the YW organization is a bit of an orphan. Wouldn't it be great for them to, just as the 12 year old boys are, be a part of a Restoration Legacy, one with Sacred ties back to Joseph and Emma, one with 'an inseperable connection to the Priesthood'?

Can any one think of any practical or substantial reasons why not to make this non-doctrinal, organizational adjustment?

Because of the other Sundays they can cover very adult topics which is not appropriate for younger girls, and young men and women feel out of place in class with much older people...especially with Mom and Dad in the room. :(

Because of the other Sundays they can cover very adult topics which is not appropriate for younger girls, and young men and women feel out of place in class with much older people...especially with Mom and Dad in the room. :sad:

See above response to Tacenda. You're missing what I'm saying here.

I think we would have to rename the organization. Relief Society is a bit 1930ish anyway. Something to reflect a new dynamic. Just spit-balling here but,how about ' The Priesthood Auxiliary '

The mission has not change to provide relief in a Christlike was, as only such sweet souls can do. I once asked a sister to come speak about marriage in HPG, when I was HPGL at 32...you would not believe how many though this is inappropriate. :( The Bishop approved of it, so I did it. It is odd...for 10 years, 5 as HPGL I was the youngest member in the room. At 55 I am still young for the group.

The mission has not change to provide relief in a Christlike was, as only such sweet souls can do. I once asked a sister to come speak about marriage in HPG, when I was HPGL at 32...you would not believe how many though this is inappropriate. :sad: The Bishop approved of it, so I did it. It is odd...for 10 years, 5 as HPGL I was the youngest member in the room. At 55 I am still young for the group.

PaPa - I'm 30, and in the HPG ;) Don't feel too bad about being the Young Gun!

Also, in my stake, there was a ward who just had a Young Woman give a lesson to combined Priesthood Quorums - Deacons through High Priests, under the direction of the Bishop. Reports were fantastic.

I think that it would have a negative impact on most Young Women. From my experience with my daughters and from observing several Young Women presidencies, those presdencies usually have a great impact on the lives of many young women. They areusually called because of special qualitiesthey psosess that help them achieve a rapport with hose young women and can and usually do pour a lot of time and effort into helping their charges grow from budding sprouts into flowers in full bloom.

The Relief Society presidency usually has a full plate already and would be hard pressed to provide everything that the young women need while seeing to the needs of the mature women of the ward or branch as well as the many other duties that they shoulder.

Glenn

I think that it would have a negative impact on most Young Women. From my experience with my daughters and from observing several Young Women presidencies, those presdencies usually have a great impact on the lives of many young women. They areusually called because of special qualitiesthey psosess that help them achieve a rapport with hose young women and can and usually do pour a lot of time and effort into helping their charges grow from budding sprouts into flowers in full bloom.

The Relief Society presidency usually has a full plate already and would be hard pressed to provide everything that the young women need while seeing to the needs of the mature women of the ward or branch as well as the many other duties that they shoulder.

Glenn

Just as there is a Young Men's Presidency under the direction of the Priesthood that advises and teaches Youth Priesthood quorums, there would remain YW leaders as well, specifically called under the direction of the Relief Society to serve the YW in the Relief Society, just as the YM Presidency are called to serve the YM in the Priesthood, who are technically under the direct stewardship of the Bishop.

Edited by David T

I've been in a lot of wards that already do that. We did in the last ward, where i was the YW's president. The first time i remember being a part of a YW's organization that did it was around 2005.

I know handbook 2 says one sunday a month is approved but i've been in more than one ward where we met every sunday. And if the presidencies are well organized it didn't take any extra time for opening excersizes. What I really loved about it was that opposite the presidency of the RS (that usually sits at the front of the class) we would have one of the presidencies of the YW sit, and they would be in charge of handling all YW announcements and getting the opening prayer, etc. It was always great to see them really learn to lead and to feel like a part of the larger group of women in the church.

Edited by bluebell

Just as there is a Young Men's Presidency that advises and teaches Priesthood quorums, there would remain YW leaders as well, specifically called to serve the YW in the Relief Society, just as the YM Presidency are called to serve the YM in the Priesthood, who are technically under the direct stewardship of the Bishop.

I understand that. I just think that the organizations are finethe way they are. Now, having said that, there will probably be an announcement during the next general conference doing just what you stated.

Glenn

I did not know they were doing this...They now meet as we do for Priesthood? Sorry for misunderstanding.

Think of it this way, as it currently stands:

Adult Relief Society = Elder's Quorum | High Priest Group

Young Women Classes = Aaronic Priesthood Quorums

Laurels = Priests --> For Classes/Quorums, Each have youth leaders (Laurels have a president, Priests have an assistant to the Bishop), but Adult Advisors

Mia Maids = Teachers --> For Classes/Quorums, Each have Youth Presidents, but an Adult Advisor

Beehives = Deacons --> For Classes/Quorums, Each have Youth Presidents, but an Adult Advisor

Edited by David T

I think it's interesting how we have separate conferences for Relief Society and Young Women. I'm not sure what they say to us that they couldn't say to the YW too.

This may be an historic first. I agree whole heartedly with you on this.