Seriously No Politics ×

Music With A Message

Hello Val...

Do you know who Tom Joad was?

I didn't watch the video... my computer is sooo old and slow... Maybe it referred to Joad.

I'm going to get something new that my neighbor was showing me.

GG

Of course. He's a character from the Grapes of Wrath. Here is a memorable quote from Tom Joad:

“Then it don’ matter. Then I’ll be all aroun’ in the dark. I’ll be ever’where- wherever you look. Wherever they’s a fight so hungry people can eat, I’ll be there. Wherever they’s a cop beatin’ up a guy, I’ll be there. If Casy knowed, why, I’ll be in the way guys yell when they’re mad an’- I’ll be in the way kids laugh when they’re hungry an’ they know supper’s ready. An’ when our folks eat the stuff they raise an’ live in the houses they build- why, I’ll be there. See? God, I’m talkin’ like Casy. Comes of thinkin’ about him so much. Seems like I can see him sometimes.”

This song was originally written by Bruce Springsteen. Here are the lyrics:

Men walkin' 'long the railroad tracks

Goin' someplace there's no goin' back

Highway patrol choppers comin' up over the ridge

Hot soup on a campfire under the bridge

Shelter line stretchin' 'round the corner

Welcome to the new world order

Families sleepin' in their cars in the Southwest

No home no job no peace no rest

The highway is alive tonight

But nobody's kiddin' nobody about where it goes

I'm sittin' down here in the campfire light

Searchin' for the ghost of Tom Joad

He pulls a prayer book out of his sleeping bag

Preacher lights up a butt and takes a drag

Waitin' for when the last shall be first and the first shall be last

In a cardboard box 'neath the underpass

Got a one-way ticket to the promised land

You got a hole in your belly and gun in your hand

Sleeping on a pillow of solid rock

Bathin' in the city aqueduct

The highway is alive tonight

Where it's headed everybody knows

Waitin' on the ghost of Tom Joad

Now Tom said "Mom, wherever there's a cop beatin' a guy

Wherever a hungry newborn baby cries

Where there's a fight 'gainst the blood and hatred in the air

Look for me Mom I'll be there

Wherever there's somebody fightin' for a place to stand

Or decent job or a helpin' hand

Wherever somebody's strugglin' to be free

Look in their eyes Mom you'll see me."

Well the highway is alive tonight

But nobody's kiddin' nobody about where it goes

With the ghost of old Tom Joad

And here is Springsteen's version of the song:

The quote you gave from Tom was one of my favorite parts... in the movie Henry Fonda played Tom Joad and he had just accidentally killed a man that had killed the preacher (Carridine) as they met to discuss a strike... and Tom, to protect the family, was getting ready to leave his Ma (Jane Darwell) and go on the run and she was asking him how she'd ever find him or know where he was (because the family was not settled but migrant workers).  That's when he gave that wonderful dialog as only Fonda could...

GG

My high school was adamant about not allowing students to read Animal Farm, 1984, The Grapes of Wrath, Fahrenheit 451, Lord of the Flies and Catch 22. I, however, publicly read them and cited them in my world history, US history and US government classes for projects and presentations. I was suspended on several different occasions for my actions. I have and will always refuse to be beaten into social, religious and political submission. Heck...I've been arrested on many occasions for civil disobedience. ;-)

ETA: My first arrest was while protesting the Democratic National Convention in 2000 at the Staples Center in Los Angeles.

Edited by Valentinus

My high school was adamant about not allowing students to read Animal Farm, 1984, The Grapes of Wrath, Fahrenheit 451, Lord of the Flies and Catch 22.

My word... why on earth not?  These are some of the best of fiction.  I suppose because at least 2 are critical of U.S.... others show how quickly man becomes debased (LotF), which was truly scary... the last scene where the "tribe" is chasing the one boy who had held out for law and civility (Kill the Pig! Kill the Pig!) and he's running/crawling along the ground and suddenly he bumps into the naval officer standing on the beach... who is looking on in disbelief of the spectacle of the tribe before him... Yikes! 

GG

My high school was adamant about not allowing students to read Animal Farm, 1984, The Grapes of Wrath, Fahrenheit 451, Lord of the Flies and Catch 22. I, however, publicly read them and cited them in my world history, US history and US government classes for projects and presentations. I was suspended on several different occasions for my actions. I have and will always refuse to be beaten into social, religious and political submission. Heck...I've been arrested on many occasions for civil disobedience. ;-)

ETA: My first arrest was while protesting the Democratic National Convention in 2000 at the Staples Center in Los Angeles.

While I never been arrested for anything more serious than a speeding ticket. I demonstrated against the Vietnam War.

I studied as regular study The Communist Manifesto in the 9th grade in Huntsville; Alabama in the early 60's. Plus Animal Farm, 1984, Lord of the Flies in the 10th. By the 11 and 12th grades I'd moved back to California and Fahrenheit 451, and Catch 22 were optional but recommended reading. We also studied Ayn Rand's Fountainhead in 12th Grade.

Edited by thesometimesaint

My word... why on earth not?  These are some of the best of fiction.  I suppose because at least 2 are critical of U.S.... others show how quickly man becomes debased (LotF), which was truly scary... the last scene where the "tribe" is chasing the one boy who had held out for law and civility (Kill the Pig! Kill the Pig!) and he's running/crawling along the ground and suddenly he bumps into the naval officer standing on the beach... who is looking on in disbelief of the spectacle of the tribe before him... Yikes! 

GG

Heavily evangelical town. You should have seen the reaction to the teacher who taught 2 weeks of history on Communism.

Heavily evangelical town. You should have seen the reaction to the teacher who taught 2 weeks of history on Communism.

This wasn't Wickenburg was it?

I hope the answe is no...but after having served the first 9 months of my mission there...

Horsefeathers, Val!  My computer is so old and slow I can't watch any of the videos you posted.  I'm going to get something new soon that will allow me to watch videos, access internet, etc etc.

GG

Most of the music I post deals with socio-political change/revolution, protest, rebellion,global awareness, etc.

The times they are'ah changin' 

GG