Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ScriptureLover

For Elihu - God is Certainly Described as a Man

You're getting close Dan:-)

God is said to be many things: Father, Light, Life, Fire, Jealous...and others.

God is each of these things in the sense related, yet His name is always related in Scripture as singular.

This is a simple way to say the plural of God in Genesis 1 is perfectly as true as it is in Isaiah that He claims to be the only God ever and forever.

"No man has seen God at any time"

Do you believe John or Joseph?

God is each of these things in the sense related, yet His name is always related in Scripture as singular.

This is a simple way to say the plural of God in Genesis 1 is perfectly as true as it is in Isaiah that He claims to be the only God ever and forever.

I believe Joseph.

Paul O

I believe both John and Joseph. Obviously many people in the Bible saw God, for they say so, even John! the scripture is beng taken out of context. God is easily seen, I mean after all consider Jesus. Jesus can certainly be God, can't he?

I believe the infallble, inspired, eternally self-consistant, all-adjective-encompassing Bible! :P

1 Kings 22:19 Then Micaiah said, "Therefore hear the word of the LORD: I saw the LORD sitting on his throne, with all the host of heaven standing beside him to the right and to the left of him.

Amos 9:1 I saw the LORD standing beside the altar...

Isaiah 6:1 In the year that King Uzziah died, I saw the Lord sitting on a throne...

Exodus 24:9-10 Then went up Moses, and Aaron, Nadab, and Abihu, and seventy of the elders of Israel: 10 And they saw the God of Israel:

It was common belief among the Israelites that no one could see God AND continue to live (Exo 33:20), but as the infallible, incontrovertible Bible shows, all kinds of people saw God and then expressed surprise at their survival.

Genesis 32:30 So Jacob called the place Peniel (or "the face of God") saying, "For I have seen God face to face , and yet my life is preserved."

22 And Manoah said to his wife, "We shall surely die, for we have seen God." (They don't.)

Exodus 24:11 God did not lay his hand on the chief men of the people of Israel; they also saw God, and they ate and drank.

John 1:18 (and 1 John 4:12 and 1 Timothy 6:16) don't hold up so well against these...

On the other hand, Margaret Barker, a non-LDS Biblical scholar, interprets JOhn 1:18 to mean that no one after Adam had ever seen the Father, because all the theophanies of Yahweh in the old testament were of the Son, Jesus. Margaret Barker, The Great Angel, 200. <_<

Well now. Isn't that all just so clear?

IMO, Jesus might have been right, if the translation was correct, about seeing the father. That means that he didn't either. But JS did. Since this happened, oh 2000 years or so after Jesus was tromping the earth, the timeline still works.

IMO, the verse was transmitted incorrectly. I think the Father has shown himself, but I can't proove it, nor is it that important to me.

Both. In fact, I believe the scriptures, past prophets, and current prophets. Do you really believe that the scriptures (if you want to restrict to the Bible, fine) really say and mean that no man has ever seen God - taken as a whole? And that literal conclusion is actually true?

If so, you are in trouble.

By your reasoning it would make sense to say that anyone who has seen fire has seen God.