Photo
- - - - -

If Temple Marriages Are Eternal Why Is It Ok For A Widow To Marry Again?

Temple marriage

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 CV75

CV75

Creates Beasts Of The Earth

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,047 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 07:48 AM

Yes. Which should end the problem for him if he and his wife both promise each other to not marry again if one dies.
But he still questions the doctrine about this.

Personally, I think such promises are based in fear and insecurity--very understandable of course, but likely to dissipate as marriage covenants are faithfully kept, the husband an wife master their individual and united spiritual power, and experience teaches them to follow the Lord's will as unforseen situations arise in life.

#22 Maidservant

Maidservant

Separates Water & Dry Land

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 08:46 PM

If you look at it plainly (depending on how you understand the history of the church), heavenly Father through Joseph Smith provided the opportunity for women to have multiple husbands and for men to have multiple wives. Maybe there is something about this that has to do with bringing everyone into one.

I personally prefer to have the love of my life and eternity be in a circle of love of only us two, but what do I know?

Also, looked at plainly, when people say whose kids belong to whom, as I understand, we will all be adults in adult relationships, I don't see a bunch of kids hanging around the house when there is a multi-metaverse out there to explore and create with. They'll be with THEIR spouses.

My earthly father has thus far broken every possible covenant as taught by the church and according to the church his destiny doesn't look too bright according to 'doctrine' (except for the infinite mercy of the Savior).

But there is no eternity in which he will un-become my father. He already begat me, that happened in the '70s. It's an event in the past, and it's not like I'm going to get amnesia and forget who he is. I'm always going to go to him for affection and wisdom and fatherhood.

Hm, I'm assuming that your friend's worry about who is having sex after the death of one spouse extends to himself and he plans to not re-marry again in the event of his wife's death before him? :acute:

#23 Tacenda

Tacenda

“Earth laughs in flowers”

• Limited
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,318 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 06:34 AM

Maybe that's why it says in the bible there is no marriage in heaven. Won't we all be in our thirties? I heard that once. I believe we'll know each other in heaven.
middlewayer

#24 rpn

rpn

violets

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,933 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 02:18 PM

... It used to be within church practice for a woman (and man) to have sexual relations with a "spouse" to whom they were not legally married, but only sealed by someone in the church (in or out of the temple).

Can you cite the source for this "fact"?

Edited by rpn, 06 September 2012 - 02:18 PM.

#25 cdowis

cdowis

Creates Man & Woman

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,390 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 03:42 PM

This was several decades ago, but there was an article in the Ensign on this issue. Basically he compared it to the joining of two handcarts where each spouse was deceased. They need each other's strength to get thru this earthly journey, even if it is only temporary.

Nothing wrong with it at all.

One other point. It is possible that she can change her mind, get a temple divorce from her deceased spouse, but it is difficult. Requires FP permission.

Edited by cdowis, 06 September 2012 - 03:45 PM.

"Reasoning with cats?  When you want your kitty to do your bidding, it's 
best to skip the small talk and bring out the bribes." Cat Talk

#26 theplains

theplains

Seasoned Member: Separates Light & Dark

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 04:11 PM

This is from Doctrines of Salvation, volume 2:

"If a man and his wife are saved in separate kingdoms, for instance, the celestial and terrestrial, automatically
the sealing is broken; it is broken because of the sins of one of the parties. No one can be deprived of
exaltation who remains faithful. In other words, an undeserving husband cannot prevent a faithful wife from
an exaltation and vice verse. In this case the faithful servant would be given to someone who is faithful".
(page 65).

In effect, this would constitute a wife or husband swap ... with a new sealing in the post-mortal period. However, I
don't know if this means the faithful woman is given to an already sealed man (making this polygamous), the
faithful man is given to an already sealed woman (making this polygamous), or the faithful single man is sealed to
another faithful single woman (no polygamy).

Regards,
Jim
"It isn’t a question of who said it or when; the question is whether it is true" (Boyd K. Packer, 1977, Follow the Rule, speeches.byu.edu).

#27 calmoriah

calmoriah

Dulce de labris loquuntur, corde vivunt noxio.

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,544 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 05:03 PM

I suspect those involved will be given to each other if the required love can be a part of the relationship. Does anything else really matter?
When you climb up a ladder, you...begin at the bottom...ascend step by step, until you arrive at the top...so it is with the principles of the Gospel--you must begin with the first...go on until you learn all the principles of exaltation. But it will be a great while after you have passed through the veil before you will have learned them. It is not all to be comprehended in this world. Joseph Smith
UMW forever!

#28 divinenature

divinenature

Seasoned Member: Separates Light & Dark

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 05:27 PM

Can you cite the source for this "fact"?

I cite all the children born into illegal polygamous marriages.
"Salt, vinegar and pepper given internally and plunging in the river when paroxysms begin will cure cholera." Joseph Smith Jr.

"I had now completed the organization of the Church and we had passed through all the necessary ceremonies." Joseph Smith Jr., March 30th 1836

#29 Deborah

Deborah

Dark Chocolate Darling

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,803 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 07:31 PM

In ancient Israel a man would take his deceased's brother's wife and the children they had would be the deceased brother's. In fact wasn't it a requirement that the brother do so?

If a woman is sealed to a man and her husband dies it would seem the same principle would apply and the new husband would raise up children to the deceased spouse. Of course this doesn't apply to older couples who marry after a spouse dies, but it seems that the best situation is having a companion even if that is only for time.
Judges 4:4 And Deborah, a prophetess, the wife of Lapidoth, she judged Israel at that time.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

#30 Brother Ray

Brother Ray

Newbie: Without form, and void

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 08:31 PM

Perhaps because a widow might not be able to financialy take care of herself, and to assure that she continues to have the Priesthood in her home.
The second husband will not replace the first husband.All three ( if worthy) will live together, with Heavenly Father in eternal marriage.

#31 cassieblanca

cassieblanca

Newbie: Without form, and void

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 10:02 PM

I understand how lonely that might be for a young widow but I am just trying to make some sense out of it. If a young widow woman marries a second husband and spends the rest of her life with him having and raising children is she really going to want to give him up to be with the first husband?

My mother was in a situation like this. She was first married at age 19 and became a widow at age 23. She then served a two-year mission (not 18 months like they do now) in South America and after returning, she married my father. They were together for over 30 years and then she passed away from a similar type of cancer that her first husband died from. At the end of her life, she was researching whether there was a way to be sealed to my father, not sure that she wanted to break the first sealing, but so that she'd be able to choose between them later, I think. I think she knew she was going to die, and I think she didn't want to lose my dad just yet. We found out that when both of my parents are gone, we can do a sealing for them so that she will be able to choose between them, and I think she would have wanted that, but I don't think she will at this point. Now my father is remarried and sealed to his current wife, so they are both sealed to somebody and I think it works out best for them to stay that way. But it really was touching for me to see how much she loved my dad, wanting to find out if there was a way to possibly get sealed to him.

#32 california boy

california boy

Looks for truth over dogma

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 11:14 PM

I don't think God wants anyone to live this mortal life alone and without companionship. "It is not good for man to be alone" was one of His first pronouncements to mankind. I think everyone can understand the importance of that. (Pulling the handcart together throughout mortality). But there is a doctrinal problem when a woman is legally eternally married and chooses to marry another man when that marriage is not recognized by God in the eternities. Should we not also have that eternal perspective?
"I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. They are so unlike your Christ" - Gandhi

I just think it's interesting that God seems to hate the same people his followers do. And he always seems to think exactly the way they do. A cynical person might be suspicious. - Justin Werner

#33 thesometimesaint

thesometimesaint

Is Universe

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,741 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 04:56 AM

callifornia boy:

It is all by choice.

#34 california boy

california boy

Looks for truth over dogma

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 12:03 AM

I am not sure what you mean by that statement. Are you just saying that it is a choice whether we have an eternal perspeective?? Isn't the whole point of the church to have an eternal perspective about our lives here on earth?? Could you please explain?
"I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. They are so unlike your Christ" - Gandhi

I just think it's interesting that God seems to hate the same people his followers do. And he always seems to think exactly the way they do. A cynical person might be suspicious. - Justin Werner

#35 JAHS

JAHS

Senior Member: Divides Heaven & Earth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 785 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 04:15 PM

I don't think God wants anyone to live this mortal life alone and without companionship. "It is not good for man to be alone" was one of His first pronouncements to mankind. I think everyone can understand the importance of that. (Pulling the handcart together throughout mortality). But there is a doctrinal problem when a woman is legally eternally married and chooses to marry another man when that marriage is not recognized by God in the eternities. Should we not also have that eternal perspective?

I guess we just have to assume that God recognizes that second marriage as OK for this life only, so long as it is a legal and lawful marriage as indicated in the temple ordinance.

#36 Ahab

Ahab

Places Sun, Moon & Stars In The Sky

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,807 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 05:04 PM

This was a question someone recently asked me. Civil marriages are an untill death do you part situation and if the husband dies so does the marriage and the widow is free to marry again. If temple sealings are eternal and we have promised complete fidelity to our eternal spouse why is it OK for a widow to marry again and have sexual relations with her new husband?
I understand that usually a second marriage can be performed in the temple, but the sealing is for time only and the woman is still sealed to her first husband and will be with him in the eternities and any children she has with her second husband are sealed to her and her first husband. But if the marriage is eternal why does the act of death make it OK for the woman to marry again and have sexual relations with the second husband?

Because it's okay for a man to have more than one wife, and even to be sealed to more than one wife for eternity.

It's only the women who must choose which man to be sealed to, because she can be sealed to only one man, even though she may be loosed from a sealing to be sealed to another man.
I desire to show you who I am by showing you who I follow.
He is my Lord. He is my Life. He is all I desire to be.

Speaking against the NATURE of sin: To the last I grapple with thee,
From Hell's Heart I stab thee; For Hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Temple marriage

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users