Seriously No Politics ×

Young Single Adults....

I have a question about the Young Single Adults. My daughter is YSA female rep. She was just informed by the newly called YSA advisors that she has to teach the YSA sunday school class... is that right?

Guess it is in her ward. Different places do different things. Whomever she answers to would be the one to tell her her duties in the calling (my guess would be the bishop might not know how the YSA supv divvy things up): he just called you as the Rep.

No. The calling should come to the bishop and not from the YSA advisors. Of course they can ask her to fill in for a short time but not give out callings. Also, no one can inform anyone that they have to do something. They need to ask and one can decline or accept. Something is wrong here. Maybe your daughter has misunderstood what happened.

It was a separate calling when I was teaching it, I can see them maybe having the reps teach once a month or something though. To have to do both would seem unusual.

The clue in the OP are the words 'has to teach'. No one has to do anything before they accept it. :acute:

Edited by why me

Yeah, those are usually 2 seperate callings in YSA's...though YSA's also have different callings and positions that many average wards do not. It could be that they're short handed at the moment. During this time callings can be slim to none because students (the mainstay of many YSA's) are in such transit that they could just be shoring up till the next wave of students settle in.

With luv,

BD

Edited by BlueDreams

No. The calling should come to the bishop and not from the YSA advisors. Of course they can ask her to fill in for a short time but not give out callings. Also, no one can inform anyone that they have to do something. They need to ask and one can decline or accept. Something is wrong here. Maybe your daughter has misunderstood what happened.

We are in a family ward with a few active YSA and her calling is female YSA rep for the ward and asst. female rep for the stake. The old advisors taught the sunday school class. I thought, which I'm probably wrong, that all ss classes fell under the ss presidency...YSA included. I will encourage her to talk to the bishop...

Guess it is in her ward. Different places do different things. Whomever she answers to would be the one to tell her her duties in the calling (my guess would be the bishop might not know how the YSA supv divvy things up): he just called you as the Rep.

In my ward, it is obvious that some callings are more desparation than inspiration... I know this to be true as Family History Center director over 2 wards.

We are in a family ward with a few active YSA and her calling is female YSA rep for the ward and asst. female rep for the stake. The old advisors taught the sunday school class. I thought, which I'm probably wrong, that all ss classes fell under the ss presidency...YSA included. I will encourage her to talk to the bishop...

You may have also misunderstood her. But these callings come from the bishop. But yes, the Sunday School presidency can recommend people for the calling and if they accept they will be set apart. None of which has happened to your daughter.

I have a question about the Young Single Adults. My daughter is YSA female rep. She was just informed by the newly called YSA advisors that she has to teach the YSA sunday school class... is that right?

When I was single years ago, the ward YSA reps also taught the Sunday School class.

Don't know if they had any say in the matter. :unknw:

If the calling entails teaching the Sunday School class, that needs to be made clear at the time the calling is issued. Teaching a class is a weighty enough position that it should not be treated as an afterthought.

This appears to me to be a case of the bishopric needing to refine its manner of issuing a calling.

You may have also misunderstood her. But these callings come from the bishop. But yes, the Sunday School presidency can recommend people for the calling and if they accept they will be set apart. None of which has happened to your daughter.

I will clarify with her whether the "you" in "you are to teach the YSA class" was her alone or "you" as in rotate amongst the YSAer's... I think it's the latter which makes more sense. Thanks for responding!

• 1 year later...

Jibe.

I guess I'll just have to jive to take your jibes, then! ;):D

Because I can't start threads.  

Ah. Got it.

And with that, I did take a look at the link.

Much of it resonated with me, as I was single for approximately half my adult life. There is one element I might add to the list, though it pertains to single-adult males in the Church, and I have not seen it very much in more recent years. Maybe I've been less sensitive to it since I've been married. Here it is:

Blanket guilt pronouncements being issued forth from Church pulpits.

Edited by Scott Lloyd