Seriously No Politics ×

Scott'S Dn Article About Fair Conf. And Other Stuff

Calm

Scott Lloyd has an article that has a quote of interest or two on a nonFAIR conference talks topic (I don't think this has been posted yet, if so sorry....:

Peterson was affiliated with BYU's Neal A. Maxwell Institute for Religious Scholarship until recently when a series of changes led to his dismissal as editor of the Institute's Mormon Studies Review.

Peterson has been critical of the changes, which he says includes a significantly reduced emphasis on apologetic research. That is problematic, he says, because the Institute has been specifically charged with "describing and defending the Restoration."

Maxwell Institute officials disagree, indicating that widespread assumptions that "the change of editorship we have recently announced for the Mormon Studies Review signals some kind of fundamental rejection of apologetics is incorrect."

http://www.deseretne...nal-begins.html

I'm at a loss to know where Maxwell Institute apologetics will appear. The flow of Maxwell Institute books has slowed to a trickle. The Institute's Journal has done some apologetics, but not much. It appears twice a year, with fairly short articles. Studies in the Bible and Antiquity appears once annually and does little or no apologetics. The Review was far and away the main venue for apologetics, and I was informed that it will be down for at least eighteen months; there's not even a new editorial team in place. Frankly, I'll be slightly surprised if it actually ever appears again, but would be pleased to see it do so.

And then what will count as apologetics under the "new course"?

I have reason to believe, though I would be happy to see otherwise, that it won't be anything that most people would recognize as actual apologetics.

Time will tell.

I'll ask when I see Joe tomorrow.

I asked Joe about it.

He said he obtained the quote in connection with an earlier story he did, the one that appeared on Thursday in advance of the FAIR Conference, headlined "Apologists gather, but not to apologize."

The Maxwell Institute was very reluctant to talk to him in connection with that article but eventually gave him the comment, not from Jerry Bradford and not for individual attribution to anyone in particular.

He did not find a place for it in his Thursday story, but when it came time to write the wrap-up on the FAIR Conference, there seemed to be a crying need for some sort of input from the MI folks. That was the only thing he had, so he went with it.

I'm at a loss to know where Maxwell Institute apologetics will appear. The flow of Maxwell Institute books has slowed to a trickle. The Institute's Journal has done some apologetics, but not much. It appears twice a year, with fairly short articles. Studies in the Bible and Antiquity appears once annually and does little or no apologetics. The Review was far and away the main venue for apologetics, and I was informed that it will be down for at least eighteen months; there's not even a new editorial team in place. Frankly, I'll be slightly surprised if it actually ever appears again, but would be pleased to see it do so.

And then what will count as apologetics under the "new course"?

I have reason to believe, though I would be happy to see otherwise, that it won't be anything that most people would recognize as actual apologetics.

Time will tell.

Only that much for an expenditure of how much money. Please somebody do a cost - benefit analysis.

Archived