Seriously No Politics ×

Temple In Rome

I just visited Rome. It's amazing and filled with so much history, so many examples of ancient, medieval, and baroque architecture. The temple in the video looks like a space ship.

What a nice objective review. It is interesting to contemplate how a city of such an age evolves. You are probably not aware that all of the ancient Roman buildings were mostly used as buidling materials to construct many of the Christian era buildings and villas for its leading citizens. I don't think it would be very well accepted if those buildings were scavenged to produce new buildings for his new era. Then there is that problem of how to build, in what style? Should the buildings of today strictly reflect the style of several hundred years ago? Spammy, do you know of any city that does that? I think that objectivity thing I mentioned is beginning to look suspect.

Space ship, humm. Since you were just in Rome, you probably went all the way to the outskirts of the city to visit temple site. Humm, I am beginning to think you might not really have visited all that recently or have any understanding of the site. Interesting comments; then again for one with zero objectivity, I guess it is better to just ignore your comments wholesale. A pity.

Edited by Storm Rider

What a nice objective review. It is interesting to contemplate how a city of such an age evolves. You are probably not aware that all of the ancient Roman buildings were mostly used as buidling materials to construct many of the Christian era buildings and villas for its leading citizens. I don't think it would be very well accepted if those buildings were scavenged to produce new buildings for his new era. Then there is that problem of how to build, in what style? Should the buildings of today strictly reflect the style of several hundred years ago? Spammy, do you know of any city that does that? I think that objectivity thing I mentioned is beginning to look suspect.

Space ship, humm. Since you were just in Rome, you probably went all the way to the outskirts of the city to visit temple site. Humm, I am beginning to think you might not really have visited all that recently or have any understanding of the site. Interesting comments; then again for one with zero objectivity, I guess it is better to just ignore your comments wholesale. A pity.

I was there in April. Don't take it so personally. It does look like a space ship. Both designs would fit in well in Vegas. I prefer the architechture of the SLC, St. George, and Manti temples. I also prefer old neighborhoods over the cookie-cutter design of suburbia and the design of old Salt Lake ward buildings over the cookie-cutter modern wardhouse design. Just a preference.

Edited by Spammer

I know I'm going to get knocked down here, but my first impression was that it looked like the temple the FLDS built. But when I saw closer shots, I saw that the architecture was amazing it almost looked billowy and cloudlike on the exterior, very beautiful temple.

I once read somewhere that they were going to put a cross somewhere on the doors or something. Though it would be put there very inconspicuously. Maybe because Rome is mostly Catholic. Any truth to this rumor?

This is supposed to be an official LDS video, but I didn't think the Rome Temple was finished (or expected to be until 2014.)

[media=]

Is this an official Church video?

And is the Temple in Rome finished (or is this just what it will look like when it is)?

Did you notice the "Cross" on the front door? Nothing like appealing to your neighbors...

I once read somewhere that they were going to put a cross somewhere on the doors or something.

The front door has a very prominent cross design. I think it's fantastic, and highly appropriate, seeing as the crucifixion itself is symbolically and powerfully re-enacted inside.

Edited by David T

The front door has a very prominent cross design. I think it's fantastic, and highly appropriate, seeing as the crucifixion itself is symbolically and powerfully re-enacted inside.

However, it may cause certain exmormons to comment on how the lds church is conforming with mainstream christianity.

I just visited Rome. It's amazing and filled with so much history, so many examples of ancient, medieval, and baroque architechture. The temple in the video looks like a space ship.

My wife and I served our missions in Italy from 1979-1981. We returned this past year (with one of our daughters) and visited Roma, Napoli, Pompeii, Firenze, and Venezia.

The Rome LDS Temple is a beautiful, albeit modern design. And although it would not fit in the ancient areas of the city, it will be a gorgeous addition to the area in which it is located, just off the freeway that encircles the city, about 20 kilometers from downtown Rome.

Of even greater significance is how long this deception has been perpetrated. At this link the image of a six paneled door that, now that I know what I am looking for, is clearly a cross deceptively hidden in symmetrical expectations of architectural design.

http://www.ldschurch...load.php?id=587

I think even more significant is this singular event that provided the path for permitting the temple be built in Italy

In October 2006, he accompanied other high-ranking Church leaders, including Elder Dieter F. Uchtdorf, to a meeting in Rome to make a case for the Church to the government. President Uchtdorf noted the Church's longtime presence and reputation in Italy, but the presiding government official seemed unmoved. Instead, he related that he had traveled—without announcement—to Salt Lake City in preparation for the meeting. Two Italian sister missionaries had served as his guides on Temple Square. He noted the deep impression left on him by these two Italian citizens, and then inquired when the Church might build a temple in Rome. (
)

What are the odds that THE Italian official responsible for initiating the approval of the Rome Temple should be moved to fly to Salt Lake City without anyone's knowledge of his arrival and should just happen to be put with two Italians citizens serving as representatives of the Church. What are the odds that months earlier 2 Italian sisters should decide to serve missions, most likely independent of each other and probably at different intervals. What are the odds that each would be assigned to serve at Temple Square. Fascinating, where men knew not to craft so careful a plan, God had someone on HIS temple committee organize the details. Maybe, someone on HIS architectural design committee designed the doors as well. .. Such a sense of humor those folks...

Edited by SamIam

I don't really see a space ship there. I recall however, that the San Diego Temple -- a beautiful building -- was called "Disneyland South" and "Rockets to God" -- chiefly by those who do not like Mormons.

Both this temple and San Diego have a lot of 1930s -1950s 'streamlined' look to them, which is the same style that was used for the iconic imaginings of spaceships, which come from that same period.

So people probably think of them as space-like because of design elements that they associate with space.

Both this temple and San Diego have a lot of 1930s -1950s 'streamlined' look to them, which is the same style that was used for the iconic imaginings of spaceships, which come from that same period.

At least as far as San Diego goes, there is no streamlined look. It is based upon the Seal of Melchizedek and it looks like a modern form of Gothic -- neither the Seal of Melchizedek nor the Gothic form are very amenable to a streamlined look. And there is nothing "30's to 50's" about it.

Edited by CASteinman

Did you notice the "Cross" on the front door? Nothing like appealing to your neighbors...

Maybe it is time we do it on all buildings? I do not know why we are so afraid of it...I think David O went to far. I am not opposed to it. Edited by Bill “Papa” Lee

Maybe it is time we do it on all buildings? I do not know why we are so afraid of it...I think David O went to far. I am not opposed to it.

If Jesus was shot with a gun would you want that on the temple? Just kidding. I think it'd be awesome to have the cross also.

Now Craig, don't be shy. Instead of trying to slyly insinuate something, why not try being up front, just for once?

Incidentally, the "Cross" on the (double) doors has two horizontal members. Did you notice that?

Regards,

Pahoran

At least as far as San Diego goes, there is no streamlined look. It is based upon the Seal of Melchizedek and it looks like a modern form of Gothic -- neither the Seal of Melchizedek nor the Gothic form are very amenable to a streamlined look. And there is nothing "30's to 50's" about it.

You are right about the streamlined, which I was poorly using as a shorthand for some of the design elements of that era. Otherwise I simply disagree. The San Diego temple doesn't look much like a spacecraft, but it looks a lot like the stylized representations of spaceships in the pulps of that era.

Edited by mrmandias

Maybe, someone on HIS architectural design committee designed the doors as well. .. Such a sense of humor those folks...

"I personally regard all of the houses of the Lord as the work of Jehovah, initiated by him, built by him, designed by him, and dedicated to him and his program."

—Spencer W. Kimball

Well, what do you know - according to President Kimball, they do have an architect design committee of at least one.

I was there in April. Don't take it so personally. It does look like a space ship. Both designs would fit in well in Vegas. I prefer the architechture of the SLC, St. George, and Manti temples. I also prefer old neighborhoods over the cookie-cutter design of suburbia and the design of old Salt Lake ward buildings over the cookie-cutter modern wardhouse design. Just a preference.

It will be interesting to see how the Italians themselves will judge it, once it is completed. I am sure it will be talked about in the Italian press, and Italian art and architecture critics will have something to say about it. Let's wait and see how they will judge it.

Rome is not all ancient. There is plenty of modern architecture in it too. Check out this Google image search for "modern architecture in Rome," and tell me how they compare with the LDS Temple architecture. I think that the latter is far more elegant and tasteful in design. I am guessing that the Italians will approve.

Edited by zerinus

You are right about the streamlined, which I was poorly using as a shorthand for some of the design elements of that era. Otherwise I simply disagree. The San Diego temple doesn't look much like a spacecraft, but it looks a lot like the stylized representations of spaceships in the pulps of that era.

Here is a 1940 pulp mag Space Ship. Pretty much standard fare.

There are no design elements here that look like the San Diego Temple. It is all round and aerodynamic. The San Diego Temple is all angles, flat surfaces and corners.

The only similar element is that the temple has spires pointing up --- as nearly all temples do -- and the Rocket Ship is mounted and pointing upward to space.

Otherwise there is no similarity.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-FjWsYjQppD0/TglQKXvvYpI/AAAAAAAACuc/kY8A6q9evI4/s1600/Men+Against+the+Stars+%25281950%2529+16.JPG

You were right to use the term "Streamlined". It is a type of design. And I agree, the Rome Temple looks like something out of a streamlined design studio. But the San Diego Temple does not look that way