33 replies to this topic

#1 inquiringmind

inquiringmind

Separates Water & Dry Land

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,069 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 12:20 AM

This is supposed to be an official LDS video, but I didn't think the Rome Temple was finished (or expected to be until 2014.)

Is this an official Church video?

And is the Temple in Rome finished (or is this just what it will look like when it is)?

#2 calmoriah

calmoriah

Dulce de labris loquuntur, corde vivunt noxio.

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,240 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 12:50 AM

Still being built, here is the last updated photo on lds.org: http://www.lds.org/c...-italy-temple-8

I can't tell you anything about the vid, it bombed my laptop when I tried to play it.

Edited by calmoriah, 28 June 2012 - 12:51 AM.

When you climb up a ladder, you...begin at the bottom...ascend step by step, until you arrive at the top...so it is with the principles of the Gospel--you must begin with the first...go on until you learn all the principles of exaltation. But it will be a great while after you have passed through the veil before you will have learned them. It is not all to be comprehended in this world. Joseph Smith
UMW forever!

#3 HairBear

HairBear

Member: Moves Upon the Waters

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 01:41 AM

It looks like it's a computer rendering of what the temple will look like when it is finished.

#4 Spammer

Spammer

Seasoned Member: Separates Light & Dark

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 02:26 AM

I just visited Rome. It's amazing and filled with so much history, so many examples of ancient, medieval, and baroque architechture. The temple in the video looks like a space ship.

#5 Storm Rider

Storm Rider

Brings Forth Plants

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,889 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 02:59 AM

I just visited Rome. It's amazing and filled with so much history, so many examples of ancient, medieval, and baroque architecture. The temple in the video looks like a space ship.

What a nice objective review. It is interesting to contemplate how a city of such an age evolves. You are probably not aware that all of the ancient Roman buildings were mostly used as buidling materials to construct many of the Christian era buildings and villas for its leading citizens. I don't think it would be very well accepted if those buildings were scavenged to produce new buildings for his new era. Then there is that problem of how to build, in what style? Should the buildings of today strictly reflect the style of several hundred years ago? Spammy, do you know of any city that does that? I think that objectivity thing I mentioned is beginning to look suspect.

Space ship, humm. Since you were just in Rome, you probably went all the way to the outskirts of the city to visit temple site. Humm, I am beginning to think you might not really have visited all that recently or have any understanding of the site. Interesting comments; then again for one with zero objectivity, I guess it is better to just ignore your comments wholesale. A pity.

Edited by Storm Rider, 28 June 2012 - 03:00 AM.

Storm Rider

When from Thy stern tutoring, I would quickly flee, turn me from my Tarshish to where is best for me. Help me in my Nineveh to serve with love and truth; not on a hillside posted, mid shade of gourd or booth. When my modest suffering seems so vexing, wrong, and sore, may I recall what freely flowed from each and every pore. Dear Lord of the Abba Cry, Help me in my duress to endure it well enough and to say, . . . 'Nevertheless.'” - Neal A. Maxwell

#6 Spammer

Spammer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 03:10 AM

What a nice objective review. It is interesting to contemplate how a city of such an age evolves. You are probably not aware that all of the ancient Roman buildings were mostly used as buidling materials to construct many of the Christian era buildings and villas for its leading citizens. I don't think it would be very well accepted if those buildings were scavenged to produce new buildings for his new era. Then there is that problem of how to build, in what style? Should the buildings of today strictly reflect the style of several hundred years ago? Spammy, do you know of any city that does that? I think that objectivity thing I mentioned is beginning to look suspect.

Space ship, humm. Since you were just in Rome, you probably went all the way to the outskirts of the city to visit temple site. Humm, I am beginning to think you might not really have visited all that recently or have any understanding of the site. Interesting comments; then again for one with zero objectivity, I guess it is better to just ignore your comments wholesale. A pity.

I was there in April. Don't take it so personally. It does look like a space ship. Both designs would fit in well in Vegas. I prefer the architechture of the SLC, St. George, and Manti temples. I also prefer old neighborhoods over the cookie-cutter design of suburbia and the design of old Salt Lake ward buildings over the cookie-cutter modern wardhouse design. Just a preference.

Edited by Spammer, 28 June 2012 - 03:27 AM.

#7 thesometimesaint

thesometimesaint

Is Universe

• Limited
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,033 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 06:48 AM

Spammer:

Only when I squint real hard. But then I like space ships. :)

#8 Tacenda

Tacenda

“Earth laughs in flowers”

• Limited
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,079 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:44 AM

I know I'm going to get knocked down here, but my first impression was that it looked like the temple the FLDS built. But when I saw closer shots, I saw that the architecture was amazing it almost looked billowy and cloudlike on the exterior, very beautiful temple.

I once read somewhere that they were going to put a cross somewhere on the doors or something. Though it would be put there very inconspicuously. Maybe because Rome is mostly Catholic. Any truth to this rumor?
middlewayer

#9 Craig Paxton

Craig Paxton

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:46 AM

This is supposed to be an official LDS video, but I didn't think the Rome Temple was finished (or expected to be until 2014.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MgUCQ2pXnE&feature=related

Is this an official Church video?

And is the Temple in Rome finished (or is this just what it will look like when it is)?

Did you notice the "Cross" on the front door? Nothing like appealing to your neighbors...

#10 CASteinman

CASteinman

Gone

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,884 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:51 AM

I don't really see a space ship there. I recall however, that the San Diego Temple -- a beautiful building -- was called "Disneyland South" and "Rockets to God" -- chiefly by those who do not like Mormons.

#11 David T

David T

Brings Forth Plants

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,707 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:53 AM

I once read somewhere that they were going to put a cross somewhere on the doors or something.

The front door has a very prominent cross design. I think it's fantastic, and highly appropriate, seeing as the crucifixion itself is symbolically and powerfully re-enacted inside.

Edited by David T, 28 June 2012 - 08:53 AM.

Improvement Era: A Blog About Mormon History, Doctrine, Culture, and Scripture
David T was formerly known here at MD&D as nackhadlow

#12 why me

why me

Creates Man & Woman

• Limited
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:54 AM

The temple looked rather nice. Unfortunately, we do not see just how well in blends in with the surrounding area.
Joseph Smith Quotes
... I love that man better who swears a stream as long as my arm, and administering to the poor and dividing his substance, than the long smooth faced hypocrites. I don't want you to think I am very righteous, for I am not very righteous. God judgeth men according to the light he gives them.
Words of Joseph Smith, p.204 (18 May 1843)

http://www.lds.org/e...tation?lang=eng

#13 why me

why me

Creates Man & Woman

• Limited
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:56 AM

The front door has a very prominent cross design. I think it's fantastic, and highly appropriate, seeing as the crucifixion itself is symbolically and powerfully re-enacted inside.

However, it may cause certain exmormons to comment on how the lds church is conforming with mainstream christianity.
Joseph Smith Quotes
... I love that man better who swears a stream as long as my arm, and administering to the poor and dividing his substance, than the long smooth faced hypocrites. I don't want you to think I am very righteous, for I am not very righteous. God judgeth men according to the light he gives them.
Words of Joseph Smith, p.204 (18 May 1843)

http://www.lds.org/e...tation?lang=eng

#14 William Schryver

William Schryver

Lord Wilmore

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,721 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:11 AM

I just visited Rome. It's amazing and filled with so much history, so many examples of ancient, medieval, and baroque architechture. The temple in the video looks like a space ship.

My wife and I served our missions in Italy from 1979-1981. We returned this past year (with one of our daughters) and visited Roma, Napoli, Pompeii, Firenze, and Venezia.

The Rome LDS Temple is a beautiful, albeit modern design. And although it would not fit in the ancient areas of the city, it will be a gorgeous addition to the area in which it is located, just off the freeway that encircles the city, about 20 kilometers from downtown Rome.

#15 SamIam

SamIam

Senior Member: Divides Heaven & Earth

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:34 AM

Of even greater significance is how long this deception has been perpetrated. At this link the image of a six paneled door that, now that I know what I am looking for, is clearly a cross deceptively hidden in symmetrical expectations of architectural design.

http://www.ldschurch...load.php?id=587

I think even more significant is this singular event that provided the path for permitting the temple be built in Italy

In October 2006, he accompanied other high-ranking Church leaders, including Elder Dieter F. Uchtdorf, to a meeting in Rome to make a case for the Church to the government. President Uchtdorf noted the Church's longtime presence and reputation in Italy, but the presiding government official seemed unmoved. Instead, he related that he had traveled—without announcement—to Salt Lake City in preparation for the meeting. Two Italian sister missionaries had served as his guides on Temple Square. He noted the deep impression left on him by these two Italian citizens, and then inquired when the Church might build a temple in Rome. (http://www.ldschurchtemples.com/rome/)

What are the odds that THE Italian official responsible for initiating the approval of the Rome Temple should be moved to fly to Salt Lake City without anyone's knowledge of his arrival and should just happen to be put with two Italians citizens serving as representatives of the Church. What are the odds that months earlier 2 Italian sisters should decide to serve missions, most likely independent of each other and probably at different intervals. What are the odds that each would be assigned to serve at Temple Square. Fascinating, where men knew not to craft so careful a plan, God had someone on HIS temple committee organize the details. Maybe, someone on HIS architectural design committee designed the doors as well. .. Such a sense of humor those folks...

Edited by SamIam, 28 June 2012 - 09:52 AM.

Brock Lenox

#16 mrmandias

mrmandias

Member: Moves Upon the Waters

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:01 AM

I don't really see a space ship there. I recall however, that the San Diego Temple -- a beautiful building -- was called "Disneyland South" and "Rockets to God" -- chiefly by those who do not like Mormons.

Both this temple and San Diego have a lot of 1930s -1950s 'streamlined' look to them, which is the same style that was used for the iconic imaginings of spaceships, which come from that same period.

So people probably think of them as space-like because of design elements that they associate with space.

#17 CASteinman

CASteinman

Gone

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,884 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 12:45 PM

Both this temple and San Diego have a lot of 1930s -1950s 'streamlined' look to them, which is the same style that was used for the iconic imaginings of spaceships, which come from that same period.

At least as far as San Diego goes, there is no streamlined look. It is based upon the Seal of Melchizedek and it looks like a modern form of Gothic -- neither the Seal of Melchizedek nor the Gothic form are very amenable to a streamlined look. And there is nothing "30's to 50's" about it.

Edited by CASteinman, 28 June 2012 - 12:48 PM.

#18 Pa Pa

Pa Pa

Shhh...Don't tell the anti-Mormons

• Limited
  • 14,570 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 12:54 PM

Did you notice the "Cross" on the front door? Nothing like appealing to your neighbors...

Maybe it is time we do it on all buildings? I do not know why we are so afraid of it...I think David O went to far. I am not opposed to it.

Edited by Pa Pa, 28 June 2012 - 12:58 PM.

"So now it's just another show, leave them laughing when you go. And if you care don't let them know. Don't give yourself away" Joni Mitchell
There is no such thing as "Christian Tolerance"! Theo 1689 (CARMite)
See my Poetry Blog

#19 Tacenda

Tacenda

“Earth laughs in flowers”

• Limited
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,079 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 01:57 PM

Maybe it is time we do it on all buildings? I do not know why we are so afraid of it...I think David O went to far. I am not opposed to it.

If Jesus was shot with a gun would you want that on the temple? Just kidding. I think it'd be awesome to have the cross also.
middlewayer

#20 Pahoran

Pahoran

Creates Man & Woman

• Contributor
  • 10,198 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 03:14 PM

Now Craig, don't be shy. Instead of trying to slyly insinuate something, why not try being up front, just for once?

Incidentally, the "Cross" on the (double) doors has two horizontal members. Did you notice that?

Regards,
Pahoran

(1) Honest. (2) Well-informed. (3) Denying that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has been a Christian institution without interruption from the beginning of its history.

A critic may choose any two of the above three. Choose wisely.

If you try to take away my right to believe in, teach and actively uphold the sanctity of genuine, heterosexual-only marriage, in both my private and public life, then you are a bigot. It doesn't matter your reasons. You're still a bigot. If you don't like being called that, then change.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users