Seriously No Politics ×

A Successor To The Maxwell Institute: It'S Time To Start Working On It

If I had a bollion dollars, I would bank roll a succeaor to the Maxwell Institute but I don't.

So what's it gonna be? Koffrord Books? FAIR? Or sonething else? The New Maxwell Institute won't survive for more that....5 years(?). I'm being generous here. Those of us who are in it for the apologetics won't forgive this dumb move. So, what's it gonna be? What will replace MI?

I think that, initially at least, the wisest and most economical thing would be to produce an online-only journal. That's where the future is anyway. It would avoid the expense of printing, bookbinding, distribution etc. An attractive PDF or e-book version could be published for download to tablets, e-book readers, smartphones, iPods and other devices

Later, when it is on firm financial footing and a loyal following has been established, perhaps a hard-copy edition could be produced, if there is still a demand for such a thing by then.

Thereafter, this successor could branch out into the publication of other scholarly journals and books.

Maybe some of us (like me) who can't afford to bankroll it could contribute in other ways. I have skills in proofreading and fact checking, for example, and I would donate my labor at no charge.

Edited by Scott Lloyd

I think that, initially at least, the wisest and most economical thing would be to produce an online-only journal. That's where the future is anyway. It would avoid the expense of printing, bookbinding, distribution etc. An attractive PDF or e-book version could be published for download to tablets, e-book readers, smartphones, iPods and other devices

Later, when it is on firm financial footing and a loyal following has been established, perhaps a hard-copy edition could be produced, if there is still a demand for such a thing by then.

I spend a bit of time thinking about this last night. I have immensely enjoyed conversations with someone who was part of the early FARMS group of scholars in the heady early days. His stories tell of collaboration, encouragement of research, sharing of ideas and information and all kinds of very exciting things that occur before the public actually sees the result. FARMS, in the beginning, fostered such research. In those days, there was a real benefit in the lucky chance of being in the same place and eventually having the basic brick and mortar presence.

It is a different world now and the brick and mortar presence may or may not ever become a necessity. I visited FARMS a few times in the old house where they began, and it I was usually the only visitor at the time. I isn't the kind of thing that you visit. It is the kind of thing you read. Online works, and has collaborative tools that make the process prior to printing much easier.

So, an early step is to gather those willing to contribute. One person (even as prolific as Dan) can't provide sufficient content. Personally, I hunger for he kind of discussion and collaboration that preceded the publications of the early FARMS. As for the publishing end, there is a very interesting and viable model in Salt Press (about which Dan Peterson should know a thing or two). Early FARMS printed through Deseret Book for a while and a joint publication through Salt Press would follow the same model (though it might not be too difficult to set up a parallel entity.

As for money--fortunately we already have the FARMS model of people doing it for the love it rather than the money. I suspect that there would be some computer/internet fees required. Legal fees for sure. I wouldn't see any employees until later. FARMS needed a secretary early on to answer phones, but email works and it isn't the type of organization from which we would need the immediacy of an answer.

Types of people to volunteer? Certainly some with experience in the process and the contacts to be able to solicit articles. Content is king. We need content. The organization also requires editors. I know from experience the value of good editors and that they don't get nearly enough credit for what they do. For a while, at least, they would probably continue to get little credit, but also no money. Some things we do because we think they should be done. Bless volunteers. FAIR is full of them and provides important services and information.

Speaking of FAIR, I think I would still like to see a difference in the organizations. I see FAIR's work as broader and the new entity as more specialized.

Perhaps the most difficult task of all would be to name the new entity. As a personal plea, nothing with FARMS in the name! This is an Internet world and there should be something that doesn't associate the entity's work with cows would be much better.

Maybe some of us (like me) who can't afford to bankroll it could contribute in other ways. I have skills in proofreading and fact checking, for example, and I would donate my labor at no charge.

Were I in charge, I would hire you in a blink of an eye (at no salary, of course!).

The model I have seen work is as follows:

1-association is formed

2-annual meeting where people present their work while still publishing in other journals

3-abstracts/articles published as forum proceedings

4-journal of the organization is published

Returning to the money question, I think an important use of funds would be in setting a website and web presence. I am certain that there are those who would volunteer their services, but that presence is so important that a selected volunteer should be one that would have been worth paying for.

And, as a bonus for the new organization, it has at least ifs first publication already to go (and much of the second, I believe)! :rolleyes:

Edited by Brant Gardner

Returning to the money question, I think an important use of funds would be in setting a website and web presence. I am certain that there are those who would volunteer their services, but that presence is so important that a selected volunteer should be one that would have been worth paying for.

And, as a bonus for the new organization, it has at least ifs first publication already to go (and much of the second, I believe)! :rolleyes:

Typically you can find people that would give website space.

Nemesis

I think it is imperative to pick the name first and then figure out what the acronym stands for, ie. SEER the Second Estate for Education and Research or some such.

OSMONDS - Office for the Study of Mormon Orthodoxy Not Dehlin Stuff

crying, complaining and defaming is counterproductive. If the institute is going a different direction, it should be seen as a happy solution. Apologists are now given a clean break and can go back on their own. I have read so many analogies aimed at condemning the director of MI but they all fail to acknowledge that the director is not an autonomous power monger. It is the direction, I suspect, the higher authorities want it to go. So let it go.

The Journal of Mormon Thought? Tjomt. Ya, that works. 'try again mr anti-mormon, you've just been TJOMTed. Oh ya.

What would it be called, an institute? That is what it is now. A foundation? That is what it used to be. A journal? That is too confining because producing a journal would only be one of its functions. Some other words that come to mind are: academy, association, and society.

The Society for the Preservation of Rational Mormonism. Sprm. Ok, perhaps that one is a bit problematic...

I spend a bit of time thinking about this last night. I have immensely enjoyed conversations with someone who was part of the early FARMS group of scholars in the heady early days. His stories tell of collaboration, encouragement of research, sharing of ideas and information and all kinds of very exciting things that occur before the public actually sees the result. FARMS, in the beginning, fostered such research. In those days, there was a real benefit in the lucky chance of being in the same place and eventually having the basic brick and mortar presence.

It is a different world now and the brick and mortar presence may or may not ever become a necessity. I visited FARMS a few times in the old house where they began, and it I was usually the only visitor at the time. I isn't the kind of thing that you visit. It is the kind of thing you read. Online works, and has collaborative tools that make the process prior to printing much easier.

So, an early step is to gather those willing to contribute. One person (even as prolific as Dan) can't provide sufficient content. Personally, I hunger for he kind of discussion and collaboration that preceded the publications of the early FARMS. As for the publishing end, there is a very interesting and viable model in Salt Press (about which Dan Peterson should know a thing or two). Early FARMS printed through Deseret Book for a while and a joint publication through Salt Press would follow the same model (though it might not be too difficult to set up a parallel entity.

As for money--fortunately we already have the FARMS model of people doing it for the love it rather than the money. I suspect that there would be some computer/internet fees required. Legal fees for sure. I wouldn't see any employees until later. FARMS needed a secretary early on to answer phones, but email works and it isn't the type of organization from which we would need the immediacy of an answer.

Types of people to volunteer? Certainly some with experience in the process and the contacts to be able to solicit articles. Content is king. We need content. The organization also requires editors. I know from experience the value of good editors and that they don't get nearly enough credit for what they do. For a while, at least, they would probably continue to get little credit, but also no money. Some things we do because we think they should be done. Bless volunteers. FAIR is full of them and provides important services and information.

Speaking of FAIR, I think I would still like to see a difference in the organizations. I see FAIR's work as broader and the new entity as more specialized.

Perhaps the most difficult task of all would be to name the new entity. As a personal plea, nothing with FARMS in the name! This is an Internet world and there should be something that doesn't associate the entity's work with cows would be much better.

Were I in charge, I would hire you in a blink of an eye (at no salary, of course!).

I too have money problems but do have a set of skills in accounting and business management and would help as I am able. Hope somebody is keeping track.

I asked my father (John L. Sorenson) if he might be connected to any sort of resurrection of FARMS. His response was simply, "No, it is to late in the day for me to be involved in any such movement. Que será, será. My prime motive is to get through editing this book [Mormon's Codex] and get it published." What can I say, except that his focus is clear, his vision is sharp, ... and his soul is absolutely pure. In common vernacular ... he ROCKS!