Sign in to follow this  
Bill Hamblin

My Assessment Of The Situation At The Maxwell Institute

From my experience and observations, BYU is not immune from the intrigues of higher ed politics.

But it has the added layers of the Church and its employees and leaders. The MI dustup, IMO, has

all the hallmarks of typical higher ed skullduggery.

Bernard

That's exactly what I have done...part time at a 2 year community college.

It's fun watching the politics among the full-timers, but not having to be

involved.

Bernard

Did it for a short time in the hinterlands of Wy some years ago.

Yes it is amusing trying to figure out whose PhD is better.

I used to think the Church should be more open with its financial information, including the stipends given to leaders.

After seeing this discussion about MormonStories' finances, I have changed my mind and now feel that the Church should not open its books.

Edited by cinepro

I used to think the Church should be more open with its financial information, including the stipends given to leaders.

After seeing this discussion about MormonStories' finances, I have changed my mind and now feel that the Church should not open its books.

How nice when someone sees the light.

So I assume you would consider the Nicene Creed to be an equilibrium point within early Christianity.

No, that was out of balance and apostasy.

[sorry--mistake!]

Edited by DH

How nice when someone sees the light.

I think you've misunderstood the sarcasm underlying cinepro's comment.

Isn't he a grad student?
Yes...assuming his facebook profile is up-to-date: "John P. Dehlin is the creator of several Mormon-themed podcasts, blogs and web sites. John worked for several years in various positions at Microsoft, and served for a few years as the Director of the OpenCourseWare Consortium for the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. He was an influential early participant in the Mormon blogging scene (often called the Bloggernacle). John is currently pursuing a Ph.D. in Clinical/Counseling Psychology from Utah State University."

Thanks, -Wade Englund-

I think you misunderstood mine.

I am really beginning to wonder if BYU should exist at all.

Its OK with me if you disagree with its Mission. Everyone is different. I, however, agree with BYU's Mission and even to a degree -- with some of the things it does that may seem to be outside of its mission (like Football).

Its OK with me if you disagree with its Mission. Everyone is different. I, however, agree with BYU's Mission and even to a degree -- with some of the things it does that may seem to be outside of its mission (like Football).

Yes I think it is very important that tithing funds be used to promote football. Nothing like football to develop testimonies. And after all, no one else plays the game- if BYU didn't have a team, the entire game might be lost to mankind forever.

Of course I am being sarcastic. The only question I am asking is pretty simple actually- it's should we be using tithing funds for purposes which can be done just as well or better by secular institutions.

Render therefore to Caesar the things that are Caesar's- and to God the things that are God's. We are already rendering to Caesar for public education- couldn't those funds rendered to God be used for God's work instead of secular pursuits?

Why do we need to protect freshmen from learning American History the way the world sees it? Aren't we supposed to be "in the world" but not of it?

Everywhere but in Utah, all our kids get to answer all those uncomfortable questions ever day at college, I am just suggesting we spread the blessings of figuring out the answers around a bit

Go easy on 'im Will. He hasn't been around the board long, and it can take a while for noobs to learn all the different personalities in groups like this.

Edited by cinepro

Of course I am being sarcastic. The only question I am asking is pretty simple actually- it's should we be using tithing funds for purposes which can be done just as well or better by secular institutions.

But no secular institution can do anywhere near as well as BYU with regard to the objectives of the Kingdom.

But no secular institution can do anywhere near as well as BYU with regard to the objectives of the Kingdom.

No one is debating that.

But if it was doing a better job, fewer would lose their testimonies when they get into the real world.

How much time does it take to

Produce a podcast? Could be a fairly comfortable income for a part-time gig. Especially if he has another job with insurance benefits.

Leo Laporte, who was and is a radio personality, now has an extensive podcast network with quite a number of fulltime employees. Most shows deal with technology in one way or another. Laporte makes lots of money, how much I don't know, but he sent his daughter to Spain for a school year on his earnings. They also bought a building to use as a studio and apparently fixing the studio up costs a LOT of money. Check it out: http://twit.tiv

I tried to create a podcast last year about Windows Phone, but discovered that I couldn't put two sentence together without completely messing them up. I decided it was not my forte.

Now, as to how much time it might take: a lot less than you might think, assuming you don't go to a lot of trouble to edit it.

Edited by Stargazer