Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

treehugger

If Mitt Romney Nominated, Then What For The Church And Members?

IMHO, Romney would have been a great President. I was so disappointed that he lost in 2012. I would have supported him if he had run this time, but paradoxically I am somewhat glad he decided not to do so.

IMHO, Romney would have been a great President. I was so disappointed that he lost in 2012. I would have supported him if he had run this time, but paradoxically I am somewhat glad he decided not to do so.

Why? because he said "I’m one of those Republicans who thinks we are getting warmer and that we contribute to that" 

http://onpolitics.usatoday.com/2015/01/22/mitt-romney-climate-change/%C2'>

In Canada,prostitution is legal,but,a prostitute cannot advertise,solicit,or run a bawdy house. Such is the weirdness of the law.

In other words, "Don't Ask, Don't Tell." ;)  (I should clue in any MD&DB Denizens who are from that Great, White, Vast Expanse of Northern Land Known as Canada (and elsewhere): "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" was a policy initiated by U.S. President William Jefferson "Call Me Bill" Clinton regarding the service of gays in the U.S. Military.  Before the Obama Administration did away with it, the policy was that military powers-that-were would not ask regarding a service member's sexual orientation, while the service member would not volunteer such information.)

Why? because he said "I’m one of those Republicans who thinks we are getting warmer and that we contribute to that" 

There's not a politician/officeholder alive with whom I agree about absolutely everything.  (You've heard the old saying, "If two people are of exactly the same mind on absolutely everything, one of them is unnecessary"? ;):D)

P.S. And I know what you're saying.  Why anybody doesn't think President Obama is The Bee's Knees is beyond me.  Personally, I wish we would amend the Constitution to give the man a few more terms. 

There's not a politician/officeholder alive with whom I agree about absolutely everything.  (You've heard the old saying, "If two people are of exactly the same mind on absolutely everything, one of them is unnecessary"? ;):D)

P.S. And I know what you're saying.  Why anybody doesn't think President Obama is The Bee's Knees is beyond me.  Personally, I wish we would amend the Constitution to give the man a few more terms. 

So you do not agree with Climate Science and the evidence.

Romney also said, "many of the conservatives in my party on the issue of the minimum wage. I think we ought to raise it"

Do you agree with the church manuals? 

"Some employers are not fair to their employees; they pay them less than they should." 

https://www.lds.org/manual/gospel-principles/chapter-31-honesty?lang=eng

My reading of Stargazer's comment was that his relief had nothing to do with Romney himself (whom he said he would vote for) but rather the obsessive media focus on LDS, all the bizarre conversations with politicians and talking heads debating if Mormons are Christians and whether or not a Mormon could ever be President, etc.

But that may be me projecting.

"There is a tide in the affairs of men which, taken at the flood ..."

According to some pundits the US needs a new face and new blood , like a Clinton or a Bush.

No, because I thought he would have run the government better than the current incumbent. I hope that I am entitled to believe this, Free Thinker.

It happens that my approval of Romney has nothing to do with any one particular utterance he has made. It is the overall package. And I am not going to argue with anyone over it, because it's pointless now.

And as to global warming / climate change, it's reasonable to suppose that humans contribute to it to some degree or another. I differ from those who are hyperventilating about it, however, because I doubt there's much we can do to stop it, because I don't believe that we cause 100% of the problem.

So you do not agree with Climate Science and the evidence.

Romney also said, "many of the conservatives in my party on the issue of the minimum wage. I think we ought to raise it"

Do you agree with the church manuals? 

"Some employers are not fair to their employees; they pay them less than they should." 

https://www.lds.org/manual/gospel-principles/chapter-31-honesty?lang=eng

This was not directed at me, but I just thought I'd chime in anyway.

I am not convinced that Church manuals are faultless and contain only true facts and statements. I believe that they are largely correct, but not infallible.

It is very likely that some employers underpay their employees. And some overpay them. And some pay them just right. So what?

It happens that I don't believe in a government-mandated minimum wage. But if we have a minimum wage, then it ought to be indexed to inflation.

My reading of Stargazer's comment was that his relief had nothing to do with Romney himself (whom he said he would vote for) but rather the obsessive media focus on LDS, all the bizarre conversations with politicians and talking heads debating if Mormons are Christians and whether or not a Mormon could ever be President, etc.

But that may be me projecting.

Actually, no. My relief concerning Romney not running this time is due to the feeling that the electorate would welcome a younger, fresher face as the Republican candidate. Having lost in the General Election once, I believe that he would be seen as "damaged goods", and thus his participation in the primary process would be somewhat devisive.

As to Romney attracting attention to the Church, well, what's not to like about that?

Edited to fix a confusing sentence

Why? Did you do your own scientific research like them? Do you have scientific papers? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPPkmuHdN8Y

Guess what? I'm not going to discuss this subject with you. At the very least it is off-topic for the OP.

Why? Did you do your own scientific research like them? Do you have scientific papers?

OK, I will relent to the extent of inviting you to read my blog post on the subject, in case you're interested on what I think. It is here:

http://cyberherbalist.wordpress.com/2014/03/19/were-all-going-to-die-warm-up/

But we shouldn't be bloviating about it here in this topic.

Mormon Free Thinker,

I can't do better than Stargazer's response.  It echoes my thoughts nearly perfectly:

No, because I thought he would have run the government better than the current incumbent. I hope that I am entitled to believe this, Free Thinker.

It happens that my approval of Romney has nothing to do with any one particular utterance he has made. It is the overall package. And I am not going to argue with anyone over it, because it's pointless now.

And as to global warming / climate change, it's reasonable to suppose that humans contribute to it to some degree or another. I differ from those who are hyperventilating about it, however, because I doubt there's much we can do to stop it, because I don't believe that we cause 100% of the problem.

Here, too:

It happens that I don't believe in a government-mandated minimum wage. But if we have a minimum wage, then it ought to be indexed to inflation. 

"Let's deal with poverty," -- Mitt Romney, that is a Christian LDS attitude 

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/romney-says-leaders-both-parties-072505615.html

I am opposed to dealing with poverty.  Problem is, I have difficulty finding a viable potential presidential candidate whose goes around saying:  “Let’s not deal with poverty.”  

In fairness, at least Romney has a track record of actually having some success in dealing with poverty.